Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Momma wants to be a Roadie

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-06, 05:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[Originally posted this in the rb forum. It occured to me that this might be a better place.]

Of course It'll be a late Mothers Day gift (as usual ...)

She's 67 but super light and fit. She rides in a fairly hilly area with a big, heavy hybrid and wants something lighter and faster.

I've got that new bike review and recommendations edition from Cycling Mag somewhere around, but until I find it I'm wondering what the BF folks might recommend for an old lady who wants to blast up those hills.

So far I've looked at the Trek 1000 and the entry Jamis Ventura Comp - I'm not impressed with the components, but they might be fine for her needs (and my budget) Obviously comfort is a consideration - don't want to get something that will be brutal on her bony old arse.

Anyone?

Last edited by EGreen; 05-13-06 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-13-06, 05:21 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by EGreen

She's 67

old lady

her bony old arse.

Man, you didn't make my "I want to help" list!

My wife is 68yo, and she would not be happy. Well, neither am I at 66yo.

Why not let her decide what she wants on her own? It has to fit HER, not you. The only way to find out is for her to try a lot of different bicycles in your price range.

There is NO WAY you can choose a bike for her. That could be a disaster. So much of choosing a bike is "fit" and that is not done 2nd hand.

Good luck.
Old 05-13-06, 05:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Man, you didn't make my "I want to help" list!

My wife is 68yo, and she would not be happy. Well, neither am I at 66yo.
Play, Jest, Loving jabs. Momma's retained her sense of humor while others unfortunately have lost theirs.
Old 05-13-06, 05:38 AM
Banned.

Play, Jest, Loving jabs. Momma's retained her sense of humor while others unfortunately have lost theirs.
Not, play, jest nor loving jabs when posted to a 50+ group. It may be when you are talking to momma, I don't know. It is basically a type of ageism.
Old 05-13-06, 05:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Not, play, jest nor loving jabs when posted to a 50+ group. It may be when you are talking to momma, I don't know. It is basically a type of ageism.
We obviously come from a different place, not exclusive to generational differences. Didn't mean to offend, just looking to buy my mom a bike.
Old 05-13-06, 07:41 AM
Banned.

We obviously come from a different place, not exclusive to generational differences. Didn't mean to offend, just looking to buy my mom a bike.
And I think that is a GREAT idea and it would be a wonderful Mother's Day present.

One of the fun things for me about buying a new bike is the buying process - getting to check out all the different bikes, trying them out, looking for a bargain that is still a great bike.

Perhaps your mom would enjoy this part also?

Good luck.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-13-06 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-13-06, 07:58 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Great idea!! Obviously comfort is the most important thing. I'd just make sure whatever you wound up with had a triple.....probably change the cassette to a 12/27.
Old 05-13-06, 10:04 AM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a light day touring bike would be good. Call around before going to a shop with her. Just try to convince her that the paint job is irrelevant. And promise her a free re-paint job that will match her favorite cycling outfit.
Old 05-13-06, 10:07 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ken cummings
Sounds like a light day touring bike would be good. Call around before going to a shop with her. Just try to convince her that the paint job is irrelevant. And promise her a free re-paint job that will match her favorite cycling outfit.
Or a new cycling outfit that will match her new bike!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 05-13-06, 10:33 AM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, you've been deservedly harangued enough about your choice of descriptive words for your mom. But, as I consider my own mom, no longer with us, on Mother's Day, I found them an abrasive, kid-thing to indulge in. Hopefully, by the time your age permits you to join us, such things will just naturally be objectionable to you, too.

Nice thing you're doing in buying your mom a bike. There's hope for you I think. Give your mom a full stake in her new bike, by taking her down and letting her make some of her own choices and even ride a few. Most 67plus year olds I know are vitally interested in life, in making their own choices, and keeping or expanding their own identity. They're even interested in learning new things! Let us know how things turn out. You seem a promising enough BF'er.

["Kids" always hate being patronized by those older, wiser, more experienced, etc...which is undoubtedly us, right guys?!]
Old 05-13-06, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I agree with the above posters.

EGreen, let your mom read this thread and please invite her to join us here at 50+.
Old 05-13-06, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
For the money, I like the Trek 1000.... if it fits her, but as others have said... Why not let her choose?
Old 05-13-06, 03:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
I agree with the above posters.

EGreen, let your mom read this thread and please invite her to join us here at 50+.
Good idea ...really good idea! But be warned: if I have ruffled some feathers here, she'll pluck some of you like chickens

Thanks for all of your wisdom and suggestions! Particularly the idea of taking her along and leaving the choice to her.
Old 05-13-06, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Most of us here have had our feathers plucked plenty by now, so we're used to it.

She would be a welcome addition to 50+.
Old 05-13-06, 04:58 PM
jock doc

Bikes: Torque Titanium with 650c wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[Originally posted this in the rb forum. It occured to me that this might be a better place.]

Of course It'll be a late Mothers Day gift (as usual ...)

She's 67 but super light and fit.
She rides in a fairly hilly area with a big, heavy hybrid and wants something lighter and faster.

I've got that new bike review and recommendations edition from Cycling Mag somewhere around, but until I find it I'm wondering what the BF folks might recommend for an old lady who wants to blast up those hills.

So far I've looked at the Trek 1000 and the entry Jamis Ventura Comp - I'm not impressed with the components, but they might be fine for her needs (and my budget) Obviously comfort is a consideration - don't want to get something that will be brutal on her bony old arse.

Anyone?
Hey EG,

You got my attention when you described your MOM as "67 but super light and fit".
I wasn't sure at first if you were talkin about a bike or what.

But you're right, the Ole Girl needs a brand new ride for that cute, tight, little bottom that you so aptly described as a
BONNY old arse but didn't know how to spell.

That public school education!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Denver wants pictures
Old 05-14-06, 04:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The latest issue of Bicycling magazine lists the Trek 1000 as best buy/choice!
Good Luck and a new bike is a GREAT choice for any "cycling" mother for Mothers Day.