Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Oh Lawd, Save Me! I Just Rode Carbon!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Oh Lawd, Save Me! I Just Rode Carbon!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-06, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased a Giant OCR C3 carbon bike in March of this year. Riding the bike is a dream.
My old bike is a 1986 vintage Guerciotti SL/Dura Ace bike. Over the weekend I rode my old bike just so I could feel the difference between the two. Although it rode like a finely tuned, precision timepiece, it really gave my body a pounding. It transmitted every little bump in the road directly into my body. Also the riding position was too extreme for an "alte kahker."

The only other bike that I considered, before buying the Giant, was a Specialized Roubaix. They are both excellent bikes and very age appropriate.

Friday of this week I will be upgrading this bike to Dura Ace (using components that I purchased at very attractive prices on ebay.)

How did I convince myself that it was worth spending the $$$ on a carbon bike. I used the same "logic" that my girlfriend in high school used when she would try to convince herself that she was still a virgin
Old 07-06-06, 11:04 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mgkaplan
...How did I convince myself that it was worth spending the $$$ on a carbon bike. I used the same "logic" that my girlfriend in high school used when she would try to convince herself that she was still a virgin
My Son,

Have you erred yet again? Are you setting a good example for our bedeviled Gary? You can convince yourself all you want that you are justified, but that does not change the reality of your errant ways. Seek contrition for your trespasses, especially for that poor lass with whom you lapsed. Ride 50 extra miles tonight and meet me at the confessional by 8:00 a.m. sharp!

Your Good Father
Old 07-06-06, 11:51 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I rode a MAZA Prestige TSX for years before buying a LeMond Arrivee TI last year. Love them both for different reasons. But, this year I walked into Scott's Cyclery in Willimantic, CT and saw a vision. A grey on grey Masi Criterium S w/Dura Ace for $2900. God I want that! This is the same virus that morphed me from a Suzuki to a Ducati 998. I need to find a rehab somewhere. Pleeeze someone help me I'm drowning in passion.

bruce19
Old 07-06-06, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Can't you people recognize a 'buy signal' when you have one? Get over it & buy what you want. If you really want it, you will find a way to pay for it. If you are just talking about it, you won't. nuff said. bk
Old 07-06-06, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Gary, has all this been 'hot air'? You are not going to buy? bk
Old 07-06-06, 04:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pilot Carbon

I have the Pilot 2.1 SPA bike. I love it! Don't have a lot to compare it to. I am real currious. Can you
put your finger on the reasons you liked this bike so much? Of course it's lighter, but I saw this same bike on sale on my LBS, and except for the carbon frame, my bike is the same. I have carbon fork and wishbone seatstays carbon, the frame is that special trek aluminum. The components are basically the same. It is just the weight?
Old 07-06-06, 10:09 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnV
I have the Pilot 2.1 SPA bike. I love it! Don't have a lot to compare it to. I am real currious. Can you
put your finger on the reasons you liked this bike so much? Of course it's lighter, but I saw this same bike on sale on my LBS, and except for the carbon frame, my bike is the same. I have carbon fork and wishbone seatstays carbon, the frame is that special trek aluminum. The components are basically the same. It is just the weight?
The LBS was out of stock on Pilot 1.2, 2.1, etc. in my size. That is actually what I wanted to test drive, so they suggested I try the one I did to see if I liked the geometry. Well, I do. But I sure wasn't prepared for the sweetness of the carbon bike. It was as though someone gave me chocolate for the first time in my life.

Anyway, I can't really compare the different pilots (yet). I'd probably like your model a lot.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay