Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Whats an average

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Whats an average

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-06, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some people were slow when they started and will be slow when they finally hang it up. In any case you can't stop aging and the eventual decline of performance. I suppose you can work on having a more enjoyable quality of life by being in better shape.
Old 08-30-06, 11:36 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecrd
Where is this bragging? Maybe in the road forum but I don't see anyone saying they are doing 50mi at +20mph average in this forum.
Correct, I was referring to BF as a whole. A lot of us jump around between multiple forums because we are just complicated folk!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 08-30-06, 11:43 AM
Hypoxic Member

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Averages don't have to have any reality. Consider that the average person has one breast and one testicle. I've never seen an average person.
Old 08-30-06, 11:58 AM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Averages are an interesting thing for sure - I remember averaging 17 to 18 MPH when I was in the USA - now, if I can get 20 KPH (metric here people) I am doing good. Not so much my conditioning as the condition of the roads - anything above 23 KPH will cause your fillings to come loose over rock road.

But, I recently was able to head out toward Upala on pavement - sure enough, 30 KPH for about 40 minutes.

Most of the time I just ride - I will get there when I get there - and I usually get there too quickly.
Old 08-30-06, 07:54 PM
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
I don't see anyone saying they are doing 50mi at +20mph average in this forum.
OK, let me be the first. I do that on a regular basis on solo rides. It certainly helps that there are no significant climbs where I live. It also happens that riding fast is important to me, so I work very hard at it. I don't believe that mine is not the "One true way" of cycling. People ride for all kinds of reasons and it is all good.
Old 08-30-06, 08:17 PM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
There's averages and there's averages.

A couple of weeks ago I went on a club ride that circled Lake Tahoe. This route was about 73 miles. Usually we have about 8 or 10 riders but this year everyone seemed to be doing something else so we only had the two leaders and myself.

I forced them to ride a great deal slower than is usually the case - for instance, instead of 22 mph on the first 20 miles it was 17 or 18 mph. Then we hit the climbs and because we weren't blasted by the initial starting speed we climbed a lot easier than usual. We arrived at breakfast a little later than usual and then after breakfast we again rode a bit easier than usual.

We weren't tired at the rest stops so the rest stops were a lot shorter than usual. What's more there wasn't that "deer in the headlights" look on anyone's face.

When we hit the climb up Highway 28 to the junction with Highway 50 we weren't all beat up and rode up without a hitch.

The end result was that where we usually start at 7:15 and return at 2:30 or so (actual average of 10 mph) we returned at 1:15 for an average of 12 mph.

I think that the fastest average I ever made was 18 mph over a 50 mile ride. But the vast majority of my rides averages 12 to 16 mph depending on climbs and traffic lights.

Don't get hung up on average speed. The only REAL(tm) averages that count are time out and time in and those are much slower than the claimed averages shown on your speedo which doesn't count resting.
Old 08-30-06, 08:28 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
The only average I worry about is the monthly time trial I do on a measured flat course. It provides me with some measure of my overall fitness relative to previous months. In terms of daily rides, there are way too many other things than my fitness that can impact on speed. So, I don't worry about the average speed on those rides.
Old 08-30-06, 09:39 PM

Location: Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't get hung up on average speed. The only REAL(tm) averages that count are time out and time in and those are much slower than the claimed averages shown on your speedo which doesn't count resting.
+1 Well said!
Old 08-31-06, 08:25 AM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
OK, let me be the first. I do that on a regular basis on solo rides. It certainly helps that there are no significant climbs where I live. It also happens that riding fast is important to me, so I work very hard at it. I don't believe that mine is not the "One true way" of cycling. People ride for all kinds of reasons and it is all good.
mollusk:
You said it better than I could have. My feelings exactly.
Old 08-31-06, 08:36 AM
Recovering Retro-grouch

Bikes: Too Many - 7 or 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by head_wind
Averages don't have to have any reality. Consider that the average person has one breast and one testicle. I've never seen an average person.
I guess that would make Lance half average then.

My Blog - Lost in the Bo Zone
Old 08-31-06, 12:10 PM
Pain ?? What Pain !!

Bikes: 2010 Felt F75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I average in the 16's solo, 17's with buds.
Old 08-31-06, 12:35 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by head_wind
I am glad I wasn't drinking when I read this, as my monitor would have been sprayed.

I think we all need better bicycle computers... computers that indicate wind speed, and ascent/descent rates as a start. I know they exist, but we need a few more additions. We need dual clocks, one to record wall clock time, and one to record rolling time.

Then for average, we need all of the computations.

Mean, median and mode for wall clock time.
Mean, median and mode for rolling time.

And of course, we need the computer to tell us the standard deviation too, just so that we can claim that 95% of our riding is between YY and ZZ miles per hour.

We could then break it down by terrain, ascent rate, descent rate, barometric pressure, type of breakfast and time period since last sexual activity... these would be in addition to the obvious decay rate of our speed as the ride gets longer.

We could of course really get complex, and start mapping in cardiac and respiratory rates along with the rest of the values...

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-31-06, 04:00 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
On Rail to Trail limestone with 700 x 38 tires I can go 17.5 MPH average at full effort, no stops. I am very happy about that because a year ago I struggled with 16.5 MPH for the same track..
WOW, I'm impressed. On the local Rail to Trail, gravel surface, the best I've been able to post is 13.5 using a Nishiki MTB with suspension fork and 26X2.00 tires, (the tires are comfort tires with only a light tread, not MTB tires). Guess I'm going to have to pull out the 720 this weekend and see what I can do with 700X38's on a hybrid.
Old 08-31-06, 08:45 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Where is this bragging? Maybe in the road forum but I don't see anyone saying they are doing 50mi at +20mph average in this forum. In fact most people seem to be in the 15-20mph range which seems reasonable to me.
OK, I'll brag. I rode a UMCA race a couple of weeks ago and finished 100.4 miles in 5:10 or 19.43 miles per hour solo and including stops (all 4 minutes of them). I can provide a link to race results if anyone wants them. And, BTW, I'm darn proud.

Old 08-31-06, 09:27 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
congrats
Old 09-01-06, 06:34 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
OK, I'll brag. I rode a UMCA race a couple of weeks ago and finished 100.4 miles in 5:10 or 19.43 miles per hour solo and including stops (all 4 minutes of them). I can provide a link to race results if anyone wants them. And, BTW, I'm darn proud.
I guess I am underestimating the group. I think anyone can average over 20mph solo is doing great. I have yet do 100 miles at any speed so do so at 19.4 is beyond my comprehension.

2013 Noah RS
Old 09-01-06, 06:48 AM
Super Modest

I guess I am underestimating the group. I think anyone can average over 20mph solo is doing great. I have yet do 100 miles at any speed so do so at 19.4 is beyond my comprehension.
I did cheat though; I rode a recumbent lowracer so it really wasn't that great of an achievement.

Dennis

Old 09-01-06, 09:49 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Cheating? Really? I thought recumbents were totally legal in UMCA events! I know they're not for USCF and UCI events, but UMCA? Guess that's why we haven't seen recumbents on RAAM!
Old 09-01-06, 10:02 AM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
WOW, I'm impressed. On the local Rail to Trail, gravel surface, the best I've been able to post is 13.5 using a Nishiki MTB with suspension fork and 26X2.00 tires, (the tires are comfort tires with only a light tread, not MTB tires). Guess I'm going to have to pull out the 720 this weekend and see what I can do with 700X38's on a hybrid.
Limestone is NOT Gravel!
The Wisconsin Limestone trails are close to paved in quality except when it rains or after rain. The average speed goes to hell in that case. I normally do this trail with 700 x 38 tires but have done it with 25's.
Not a good idea on a rainy day but goes faster if dry.
I also use a Trek Hybrid 7700 with Aero Bars. That does make a difference since there is always a NW wind blowing. An average speed of 17.6 requires a full all out effort (by me) and conditions must be right. Above 17.0 MPH average is possible on most days.
Old 09-01-06, 10:55 AM
Super Modest

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Cheating? Really? I thought recumbents were totally legal in UMCA events!
They're legal in UMCA.. What I meant by cheating was that I was able to go that fast because I was on a recumbent instead of an upright. The fastest that I ever did a mostly solo century including stops on an upright was 5h 24min and that was when I was 10 years younger and 50# lighter.

Old 09-01-06, 11:20 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know I never really see a bent rider that looks like they are working hard. They always seem to buzz around with a smile and not a care in the world. We have a couple in our group ride and they buzz up to the front and fall back, hardly breathing hard. Meanwhile I'm sweating, panting and have this horrible grimace on my face. I probably should try one out to see what I'm missing

2013 Noah RS