Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

It's a miracle!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

It's a miracle!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-06, 07:23 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
It's a miracle!!

If it had not happened to me I wouldn't have believed it.

Tuesday night I rode a little 30 mile ride after work as one last prep ride for the climb up Grandfather Mountain this coming Sunday. I drove to a parking lot where I parked my van and left from there. I was in a hurry as I was chasing sunset plus I was trying to get out before traffic got too thick.

I filled up my insulated Polar water bottle with fluids and looked for the lid. The lid screws completely off and is unattached to the top of the bottle. I could not find the lid anywhere. I looked and looked but didn't see it anywhere. In my haste I couldn't even remember if I had actually removed the lid or if I had even remembered to bring it.

I had other water bottles with me so I just poured the fluids in the other bottle and took off. When I got home I looked in the pantry where I store my bottles but didn't see the lid. I reasoned it must have rolled somewhere inside my van and I'd look for it later.

Now it’s two days later. As I was getting in my van this morning I saw the lid to the water bottle sitting on TOP of my van. The lid was on it’s side and positioned between the groove on the top of the sliding door and the car top carrier.

I’ve probably driven 200+ miles since Tuesday. In fact, yesterday I drove for several hours in horribly rainy conditions. How that little plastic sucker stayed up there with speeds of 70 mph is beyond me. Just simply amazing.

Two reminders to self:
Never, ever put anything on top of your vehicle. At least anything you want to keep.
My memory continues to slip ever so slowly!!!!

BTW, has anyone seen my car keys**********?
Old 09-14-06, 07:28 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Amazing.

I left my prescription sun glasses on top of my car a few years ago while in the process of switching from my sun glasses to my regular glasses after a bike ride.

And??

Well, I wasn't so lucky.

I remembered it about a mile down the road, and went back and searched and searched the side of the road. I never found them.

It was an expensive lesson.
Old 09-14-06, 07:31 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was driving on a major highway a few weeks ago and noticed a wallet flying off the top of a car. Money, credit cards blowing down the road. Felt sorry for that guy. I have gotten in the habit of throwing everything on the seat and never putting anything on the top.

2013 Noah RS
Old 09-14-06, 07:39 AM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Are you sure that's not my bottle top you found? One of mine has disappeared
Old 09-14-06, 09:26 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Never put your bike on top of the car