Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Winter Project

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Winter Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-06, 07:57 PM
Do I use too many commas?

Bikes: Giant Yukon SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winter Project

I was at a friend's store Friday. He has always sold and maintained bikes but they are not his bread and butter business. He knows that I will by two cross country ski packages from him this fall. We were looking through what he calls his museum. He has several N.O.S. (New Old Stock, meaning never sold) bikes dating back almost 30 years. I am going to buy one from him and he knows it. I always wanted a top quality bike with down tube shifters.

Anyway he pulls out this mid 90's Raleigh MT500 28cm frame. Hard tail mt. bike frame with fixed forks. Has every attachment point need for racks and fenders already built in. Pretty light compared to something with suspension and Very light compared to my Giant Yukon mt bike frame. He gave it to me. 0$.

I have a 2000 Fiji Mt Bike with a compact frame, 7 speed cassett, triple crank, all shimano that my son has outgrown. I am going to strip the Fuji and turn the Raleigh frame into a commuter/light tourer with 26X1.25 slicks.

Is this a dumb idea? I am going to do it any way, I just wanted to know.
Old 10-21-06, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
not dumb it you find it enjoyable...! Sounds like fun really.
Old 10-21-06, 08:23 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by WillisB
Maybe. Is this really a 28 cm frame? That's only about 12 inches. Is it reasonably the right size for you to fit onto?
Old 10-22-06, 01:36 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not that I rate the current Marque, but the MT 500 was a good frame. Not certain if it was chromoly but it was light. Suggest going for a Suspension fork if taking it offroad but a Small movement version of around 80mm should suffice.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-22-06, 06:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Retro,

Sorry for the typo. It is a 58 cm frame, not 28 cm.

Stapfam,

This will be a road bike only. That is why I was excited about the fixed fork. I will put 1.25" slicks on it to replace the knobbies. I put fenders on my Giant to ride in wet weather. I had to use zip-ties on the front fenders to attach to the forks. With this MT 500 frame there are all the proper screw holes, so it will get the fenders when I am done.

That will give me the Giant for the little off-road I do and the MT 500 for on -road.
Old 10-22-06, 06:42 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
If it fits how could this be a dumb project?

Imagine if you chose to join a bowling league for the winter. A new set of cables and housings, the "right" handlebars and grips, new tires and tubes, fenders, maybe a set of lights - how much could all of that stuff cost by comparison? You'll have just as much fun so what's the difference?
Old 10-22-06, 07:36 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
You will have a blast putting this thing together. Allow some time for "longer" than you might thing it will take but definitely sounds like a project to undertake.
Old 10-22-06, 08:49 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Sounds like a great idea to me. It could turn out something like "Sasquatch" or "Snidely". Have fun!

Old 10-22-06, 11:08 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Or you could do what I did when I found a similar type frame this summer, turn it into a "Snow Cycle" with studded tires for winter riding. If you want to read more and see more of my bike check this link. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/237130-snow-cycle-ready-winter.html

I think you have a great idea. I used Planet Bike Fenders. They were quite easy to install. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Snow Cycle Side 3.JPG (86.0 KB, 29 views)

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 10-22-06, 02:29 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Retro,

Sorry for the typo. It is a 58 cm frame, not 28 cm.

Stapfam,

This will be a road bike only. That is why I was excited about the fixed fork. I will put 1.25" slicks on it to replace the knobbies. I put fenders on my Giant to ride in wet weather. I had to use zip-ties on the front fenders to attach to the forks. With this MT 500 frame there are all the proper screw holes, so it will get the fenders when I am done.

That will give me the Giant for the little off-road I do and the MT 500 for on -road.
Now if you are solely road then the tyre to get is a Continental Grand prix. About a .22 in road bike sizing and roll beautifully. High pressure tyre so good rims required to take the 100psi- or 120 if you really want to roll, but by far the least drag resistant tyre for a 26" wheel. Now on the fenders- Why use them? As you will be able to keep up with the road riders on this lightweight bike that you will be building up- You might aswell go Naked and lose as much weight as possible to show them how it can be done.

When my back could take the shocks- I built up a custom MTB and it had rigid forks. In road trim it weighed 18lbs and used to fly. Only mistake I made was that I used an MTB Crankset on it with 22/32/44 gearing- Now if you could get a Road triple with 30/42/52 on it- You will have a low enough gear for the Steepest hills and on the Downhills you will be taking the roadies. Especially with V. brakes on it to be able to stop for the hairpins on the mountain descents.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-22-06, 03:32 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Originally Posted by stapfam
Now if you are solely road then the tyre to get is a Continental Grand prix. About a .22 in road bike sizing and roll beautifully. High pressure tyre so good rims required to take the 100psi- or 120 if you really want to roll, but by far the least drag resistant tyre for a 26" wheel. Now on the fenders- Why use them? As you will be able to keep up with the road riders on this lightweight bike that you will be building up- You might aswell go Naked and lose as much weight as possible to show them how it can be done.

When my back could take the shocks- I built up a custom MTB and it had rigid forks. In road trim it weighed 18lbs and used to fly. Only mistake I made was that I used an MTB Crankset on it with 22/32/44 gearing- Now if you could get a Road triple with 30/42/52 on it- You will have a low enough gear for the Steepest hills and on the Downhills you will be taking the roadies. Especially with V. brakes on it to be able to stop for the hairpins on the mountain descents.
This sounds like a lot of trouble to try and make a competitive road racer out of a MTB. Might as well get a road bike for that purpose. I like WillisB's plan a lot better. His frame will easily make a great commuter/light tourer, which is what he says he wants to do. 1.25" tires running 80psi or so will be plenty fast and WAY more comfortable and versatile. An old (or new) 110 BCD triple crank could be set up with any number of gear combinations to suit the type of riding desired. Sugino's XD is a good one. Shimano also has "Trekking" cranks with 28/38/48 rings.
Old 10-22-06, 09:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check the rear spacing if you want to put road components on your project. Good luck.
Old 10-23-06, 04:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To clarify. I do not intend to use road components.

I have a 7 speed 14X34 Shimano Megarange(tm) cassette and a 28/38/48 SR Suntour crank off the Fuji MTB that I am cannibalizing. The rear derailleur is an Altus, the front a Tourney. When I have money I will upgrade them. I will keep the crank until the rings wear out at which time I will change it to a Deore LX Trekking crankset 26/36/48. The cassette I will change to a 12X28 as soon as I can get to the LBS and buy one.

Last edited by WillisB; 10-23-06 at 04:28 AM.
Old 10-23-06, 09:19 AM

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd stick with the mtb or treking cranksets. Especially if you ride anywhere with long, steady grades. I'm not in bad shape, but there are hills I struggled to climb with my Suntour crank (48/38/28) and just changed out to standard mtb crankset with 44/34/22. My old knees simple could not take a road crankset
Old 10-23-06, 09:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a similar conversion on a mid-'80s Bridgestone mountain bike several years ago. I got a new Cannondale, and my interests had sort of shifted to road anyway (they built houses on all the rideable land within 10 miles of my house...), so I put on fenders and road tires and made a (very) few other changes to the Bstone and kept it as a commuter/winter bike/grocery getter.
It's worked out really well. It was probably my most-ridden bike until I got an Atlantis, and I still use it all the time for just knocking around, running out for a newspaper, whatever. I've fiddled around a little with the basic setup, mostly just for fun (right now it has old-style "three-speed" swept-back handlebars).
I'd say go for it. You're not going to put much money or work into it (don't get into money pits like changing gearing or anything like that), and it's always good to have an extra bike around.
Old 10-23-06, 09:31 AM
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good idea...

...I did this with my wife's old bike...bought a used frame, fork, crank set, swapped out the parts from her old Fuji...only had to buy a new seatpost, tires, and cables/covers (and she opted for a new saddle as well).

She calls it her "Fuji Cruz"
Attached Images
fuji.jpg (87.8 KB, 17 views)
blur 2.jpg (81.3 KB, 10 views)
blur.jpg (80.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-23-06, 10:22 AM
just keep riding

To clarify. I do not intend to use road components.

I have a 7 speed 14X34 Shimano Megarange(tm) cassette and a 28/38/48 SR Suntour crank off the Fuji MTB that I am cannibalizing. The rear derailleur is an Altus, the front a Tourney. When I have money I will upgrade them. I will keep the crank until the rings wear out at which time I will change it to a Deore LX Trekking crankset 26/36/48. The cassette I will change to a 12X28 as soon as I can get to the LBS and buy one.
This sounds like a solid plan to me. What are your plans for handlebars, saddle and fenders? Oh, and don't forget the bell!
Old 10-23-06, 11:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
This sounds like a solid plan to me. What are your plans for handlebars, saddle and fenders? Oh, and don't forget the bell!

Fenders -- The SKS Commuters currently on the Giant.

Bell -- The one currently on the Giant.

Saddle -- I have a couple spares, nothing special. Maybe I will ask for a B-17 for Christmas.

Bars -- The ones off the Fuji along with the Shimano V-Brake brake shifter units. I will need to add bar-ends.

One thought I have had in passing is to buy a road (curl) bar which Nashbar has that will fit an MTB stem. I would then need new shifters and brake levers. If I could find some clamp-on downtube shifters I would seriously consider them (I don't have braze-on fittings in that area). Then I would just need brake levers and handlebar tape. I was riding a mid-90's Miyata touring bike last week that had downtube shifters and loved it.

Does anyone know where I can find clamp-on fittings for such shifters?
Old 10-23-06, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Try:
https://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/LD1240
Old 10-23-06, 01:39 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The price is right. As long as the components fit. Why not try it?

Does he have more at that price???
Old 10-23-06, 01:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
The price is right. As long as the components fit. Why not try it?

Does he have more at that price???
Sorry it's all mine!
Old 10-24-06, 09:35 PM
just keep riding

https://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-Suntour-Down...QQcmdZViewItem

https://cgi.ebay.com/Simplex-twin-dow...QQcmdZViewItem

https://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-70s-Shimano-...QQcmdZViewItem

https://cgi.ebay.com/SUNTOUR-INDEX-CL...QQcmdZViewItem
"Endless Indexing**********" I think he's just describing power ratchet friction.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Suntour-Clamp-on...QQcmdZViewItem

https://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CAMPAGNOLO-C...QQcmdZViewItem

https://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-Dura-Ace...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-25-06, 09:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks BluesDawg! Great links.

I have actually decided to go with bar-end shifters. It will be easier to set up on this bike because of the existing cable routings.
Old 10-25-06, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I'm pretty sure if you ask anyone on BF if they think its a dumb idea to get another bike, the answer will be "no". Now, the question on the otherhand
Old 10-25-06, 10:11 AM
just keep riding

Thanks BluesDawg! Great links.

I have actually decided to go with bar-end shifters. It will be easier to set up on this bike because of the existing cable routings.
You're welcome. Bar-end shifters are a great choice. Suntour friction barcons are my favorite bicycle component.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.