Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

2 Days, 2 Polar Bear Rides

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-07, 06:19 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

We had our two annual Polar Bear rides around here this weekend. The one yesterday north of Charlotte was 62 miles and drew over 600 riders. The one today was west of Charlotte and drew about 200 riders. The weather was very un-Polar Bear like with the temps yesterday in the mid 60's and today over 70.

Yesterday I rode over to the ride from the house and wound up getting in 80+ miles. Plus, we rode really hard and my legs were really feeling it. I did my usual horrible job of just not drinking enough along the way.

My wife questioned why I'd go back out and ride the next day limping around the way I was. I fully intended to just sit back and ride the 50 miles today enjoying the scenery using it as a "recovery ride". That lasted about 4-5 miles.

I hooked up with about 6 guys and probably pulled them around about 35 of the 50 miles. Surprisingly there was a lot more left in the legs than I thought. In fact, we averaged about 21 mph today in some pretty good wind. I know it's not the best thing to do but hey, we had one heck of a time and it was fun!!

No pie to celebrate with but we did enjoy ourselves immensely at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants.

Any Polar Bear rides in your neck of the woods?
Old 01-14-07, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For me, any ride is a "polar bear" when my cheeks (upper cheeks, not those farther down) get so numb I can't talk intelligibly. Don't like wearing those face mask things.
Old 01-14-07, 09:27 PM

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two days, two "Polar Bear RUNS"!!

27F yesterday and sleet. 23F today and more of the same, but a little fluffier. 4 mile runs both days in about three inches of powdery stuff. Sorta like running uphill all the time!

Bought a new high visibility day-glo green windbreaker by Pearl Izumi for today. Sweet. My wife says I need the next size up because its a bit tight. I think it's fine. I hate flappin' when I ride.

(Besides, I might always lose a few pounds between now and riding weather!)

Tyson
Cushing COLD AS HECK, Oklahoma
Old 01-15-07, 08:36 AM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jppe,
Also rode the Davidson Metric, sorry I didn't know, might have been able to hook up. Saturday was a good day, and went out yest to do 40mi. and ran across several others "stretching out" from that ride.
Old 01-15-07, 09:05 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I did 12 miles Saturday afternoon in 29 degree/15 chill factor, but roads were clear. I need to buy some Amphib tights for another layer.

Yesterday was even colder and north Texas has a sheet of ice on it this morning so no riding today.
Old 01-15-07, 01:32 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by PAlt
jppe,
Also rode the Davidson Metric, sorry I didn't know, might have been able to hook up. Saturday was a good day, and went out yest to do 40mi. and ran across several others "stretching out" from that ride.

PAlt-Good to know you were out there! Did you go out when they first started rolling off or was it a little later? I think a lot of folks were surprised that it started about 15 mins earlier than advertised but it was necessary from a safety perspective. The event continues to grow every year plus the milder weather added up to one of their largest turnouts.

Last edited by jppe; 01-15-07 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-15-07, 03:51 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wasn't able to get down to Davidson because of some family commitments, but got in a nice 30+ mile ride right at the end of the day, pulled back into the house at 5:30 with the blinkies going. Beautiful weather.
Sunday was my daughter's birthday (11) so I was tied up all day. Now the predictions are for more seasonable weather (mid 20's in the morning).
Old 01-15-07, 07:25 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
PAlt-Good to know you were out there! Did you go out when they first started rolling off or was it a little later?
Went out right arnd 10. Think some of the 31mi folk went out a bit early, since we were all sort of on our own to keep track of starting times. Saw them make the turn later. Many more participants and we'll need every police force in the area stopping traffic. How many Gaston riders were there?
Old 01-16-07, 07:58 PM
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by PAlt
Went out right arnd 10. Think some of the 31mi folk went out a bit early, since we were all sort of on our own to keep track of starting times. Saw them make the turn later. Many more participants and we'll need every police force in the area stopping traffic. How many Gaston riders were there?
I know at least 3 GCC folks were there.