Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Not a Kidney Stone?!?!?!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Not a Kidney Stone?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-07, 09:58 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Not a Kidney Stone?!?!?!

How ironic. I've fought kidney stones for years. I just don't hydrate enough-I know, I know. It's just one of those habits I learn to cope with. I know all the causes of the stones and and am all to familiar with the symptons and results when one starts traveling out of the kidneys........I know the foods to avoid, beverages to avoid and everything to do to avoid the issues, etc, etc.

I used to pass a kidney stone about every 3 months. I've even had lithotripsy 5-6 years ago for one stone that was the mother lode and could have created some real problems. I have been on medication for several years which has been extremely effective for me. While I currently carry 3 stones with me everywhere I go, I have not had an attack in 4 years and they have never been an issue.

I opted to go back to the urologist Monday as I just needed a renewal on the prescription and he made me come back to see him. All I had was the typical exam but also had some xrays and to noone's surprise......the 3 stones are still there and about the same size as they were 4 years ago.

Yesterday I started noticing some side/back pains that are all too familiar for a stone getting ready to jettison from their docking station!!!! There's other symptons that are noticeable as well. Unfortunately the pains have not gone away are still around today. Does the Urologist have some sort of magic that makes this happen??? Geez........

Oh well, let's see if 80 miles on bumpy roads today in 30 degree weather will get that sucker excited......Hey, at least I might be a little lighter climbing those darn hills!! Gotta reminder to take my cell phone just in case this little sucker wins the battle.
Old 02-03-07, 10:07 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Man jppe, I feel for you. I never had them thank God,but a close friend had them and he would be off works weeks at a time.I hope they find something that works for you and good luck.
Old 02-03-07, 10:14 AM
Bent Ryder

Bikes: Bachetta Agio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had thought that they were using ultrasound now to break kidney, and gall stones apart so they could be easily passed? I know your pain JPPE and I feel for you.
Old 02-03-07, 10:17 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never had one but my first husband did and I remember his pain associated with it

Enjoy the ride and I hope you don't need to use that cell phone.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 02-03-07, 10:32 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My wife had stones several years ago and she had them shattered with ultrasound several times. Like you it was lack of hydration that started it. She had them shattered 3 times and they still came back. Then 2 years ago she had surgery, and success. No more problems.

As an aside- Wife was told to have 2 weeks off work and then go back and and only light duties for a month. Within a week she was bored so went back to work. then found she had no problems lifting things after a couple of days. So within a fortnight of the op was back to normal. One of my Co-Workers (Sorry Co-Shirkers). Had a stone shatterred and had 3 months off work.

Why is it that women can take the pain of Surgery and get over it quicker than a male that only has the Start of the problem? And don't say Childbirth as that has to be a taboo subject on this forum. (I hope)

Spike Milligan
Old 02-03-07, 10:39 AM

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Step,

Careful, Careful ! ! You are very close to the sexist politically incorrect line which shall not be crossed in 50+ Forum!

Tyson
Old 02-03-07, 10:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yikes, as a kidney stone veteran 4 times over, all I can say is best of luck!
Old 02-03-07, 11:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Three times, here, and ditto on the "good luck"
I wouldn't wish stones on a dog
Old 02-03-07, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I've had chronic kidney stones since age 18. I've had lithotripsy 4 times.

My wife, who didn't start her kidney stone adventures until her early 50's, is rapidly approaching my record. About a year ago she waited too long to see her doctor, got an infection, was rushed to the emergengy room and nearly died. She spent a week in the hospital before having lithotripsy. They said her stone was 1.4 cm.

When you (jppe) speak of those teletale signs of an impending attack...we both know just how you dread
another episode.

Last edited by Louis; 02-03-07 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-03-07, 01:33 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Why is it that women can take the pain of Surgery and get over it quicker than a male that only has the Start of the problem? And don't say Childbirth as that has to be a taboo subject on this forum. (I hope)
Childbirth after 50 is not only taboo, it's just plain insane.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 02-03-07, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, man your post has me worrying about mine again. Same deal... a few there that haven't moved for some time. I'd almost rather cut off a finger than deal with those again. But, it is what it is, and the good news is that it's not life threatening. Gaaawwww, did you have to make this post? I'm squirming in my seat!
Old 02-03-07, 04:01 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
JPPE...good luck and we'll hope for the best.
Old 02-03-07, 04:24 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Luck - jppe
I can't relate, haven't had em and hope never to have one, or more. I have heard they are painful and hope this time it is not so bad for you.
Old 02-03-07, 04:52 PM
Coyote!

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Hey Jppe. Haven't had THAT particular joy, but hang in there. My step-dad once told me that those stones "can't kill you. . .it's not that easy". He has a way of using irony and humor to communicate what must be a challenge to experience. Much sympathy and powerful thoughts for you.

Old 02-03-07, 05:15 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Thanks for all the responses....was looking at the thread titles and had to chuckle at how many were
aches and pain related. Gary's knee, kidney stones, etc. We can be a pitiful bunch.

Anyway I got in 60+ miles in 40 degree temps but pretty breezy conditions. Interestingly once I got going I never noticed the pain. Now that I've stopped riding the pain is still there but not quite as intense. So, if it flares up again I'm heading out on the bike!!
Old 02-03-07, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Now that I've stopped riding the pain is still there but not quite as intense. So, if it flares up again I'm heading out on the bike!!

Sounds like a plan to me.
Old 02-03-07, 07:59 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
I wouldn't wish stones on a dog
Uh, thanks?
Old 02-03-07, 08:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
They said her stone was 1.4 cm.
The last one I passed was 1.7 cm long and 6mm in diameter. My urologist nearly fainted when she saw it the next day...seriously.

And people wonder why I'm always making childish jokes...

Last edited by Big Paulie; 02-03-07 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-05-07, 07:49 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, State Bicycles FG, Marinoni Sprint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that when the pain stops and the stone has not passed, trouble could be close at hand. I had that experience in August and ended up with two obstucted kidneys and an emergency operation. They had to go in through the urinary tract and cut the stones up with a laser. I still had to pass the bits, not fun.
Old 02-05-07, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's a kidney stone? Sorry man, I have a friend who is just now getting over a blockage that resulted in a stint, lithotripsy and finally surgery to remove one. Never forget the difference between bad and worse!! Here's hoping yours passes soon and easily... much more easily than his did.
Old 02-05-07, 09:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Uh, thanks?
No, man... I would NOT wish stones on a dog. That's a good thing, no?
No offense intended.

Reading some of these recounts, I'm definitely not even in the territory.
I don't know what's worse, the first time when I didn't know what was wrong with me and thought I was gonna die or the second time 15 years later when I woke up at 4 AM feeling a little "hinky" and instantly recognizing the early symptoms and knowing what was coming. So I just waited until it hit. I was on my knees crying and I'm not ashamed to admit it. On the way to the emrgency room I did briefly actually consider suicide if it would make it stop.

The 3rd time doesn't really count.
Old 02-05-07, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DO NOT let this go without serious medical attention. My father in law DIED from kidney stones. It is a long story but the bottom line is if you have a problem infection may take over your body no matter how healthy you think you are.

My theory on the kidney stones thing was he took too many vitamins and supplements. The stuff your body does not use has to go somewhere.
Old 02-06-07, 01:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
My theory on the kidney stones thing was he took too many vitamins and supplements. The stuff your body does not use has to go somewhere.
+1
Old 02-06-07, 06:07 AM
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch! Never had the pleasure of stones, but have seen plenty of "stoned" unfortunates!
I try to keep well hydrated, actually overhydrated when I ride, which can cause problems of its own. So far I've never been arrested for "exposing myself" or "public indecency" but have watered many a tree, dumpster, back fence, someone's garage, truck tires on quiet streets, etc. If I eventually get arrested, I hope some of you are on the jury!
Old 02-06-07, 11:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing I've found, and this is a purely subjective, anecdotal observation, is that whenever I eat leafy greens the night berfore a ride, or on the morning of a ride, my bladder is a lot more stable. I can hydrate and ride for a long time without becoming uncomfortable. Yesterday I did 52 miles, and only stopped at the 30 mile mark because I thought that probably should. Other times, I have to stop once an hour. The common denominator on my minimum-stop rides is eating greens. Does this make any sense at all?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.