Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycling Computers

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cycling Computers

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-07, 05:47 PM

Bikes: Bike Friday Tikit, Brompton M3LA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling Computers

I have just bought a new bike and started to ride again. On my first ride with a group this morning one of the fellows sugested that I get a cycling computer to help with training. With so many out there what features should I be looking for? Would like to start out with out going in for anything high end. Any suggestions?
Old 02-04-07, 06:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Computer..........

Hemet Rider....

You will probably get many different recommendations from the people here, including suggestions of riding without one, but I ride with a 'Topeak Panoram V12' and it works for me. It has a large display and seems to be pretty accurate....except for the clock, which is a bit fast. Averages about a minute fast per month.

If I had to buy another I would get the wireless version, but I have no specific reason for saying that.

You might want to do a 'Computer' search, which should yield a lot of threads.

Last edited by LastPlace; 02-04-07 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-04-07, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently bought a Cateye Micro Wireless. Seems to work pretty good. It's the first and only one I have ever had though, so factor in that I'm a non-expert. I do like the wireless part. Son has one that is with wires, mine is a lot cleaner looking.
Old 02-04-07, 06:33 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Topeak Panoram V12 wireless. The numbers are real easy to read. It's on sale at Performance Bike right now for $44.99.

Old 02-04-07, 06:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Topeak......

MM,
Thanks for the picture. That is the unit I was referring to, except that mine is wired.
Old 02-04-07, 06:47 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Might be a good idea to get one that has a cadence feature since you are getting back into riding. Many people think they are spinning a lot faster than they are. A cadence counter helps you develop a good fast spin.
Nothing against wireless, but if you are trying to save a few bucks, the wired ones work at least as well as the wireless. Anyway, road bikes look incomplete without the computer wire spiralling down the front brake cable housing.
The Cateye Astrale 8 is a good one. I'm sure there are others.
Old 02-04-07, 06:48 PM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MichiganMike
I like the Topeak Panoram V12 wireless. The numbers are real easy to read. It's on sale at Performance Bike right now for $44.99.

Dang... was my first thought- 168.5 miles and still doing 36 mph !! but then I noticed KM/H instead of mph.

I like to see HR as I ride & train - especially on Longer distances. SportsIntruments makes one. Wireless, but only measures speed in half mph. Cheap too. I have several (on differenc bikes) SI 90HR I think.
Old 02-04-07, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
I highly recommend a cycling computer. Without one it's difficult to set mileage and/or time goals.

I have three cycling computers: SI 90 wireless, SI 90 HR wireless, and a Sigma Sport BC 1606L. I have the SI 90 on my mountain bike. The wireless works well with the suspension forks. The SI 90 HR I have mounted on my trainer (I mounted it on my toptube). I really only use it for keeping track of miles. I like this computer the least of the 3. Originally it was on my Cross Check but I sometimes ride at night and my light interfered with the wireless readings - sometimes it wouldn't pick up, other times it would read much higher or lower speeds than I was traveling. This was very annoying, so I bought the Sigma on sale at REI for $29.22 (REI Item# 7369530014) and put it on my Cross Check. It is hard-wired, and has cadence (cadence wires can be easily unplugged/removed if I decide I don't want or need it any longer). I like it the best because it has all the necessary functions, including time on bike (which my SI computers don't have), a variety of mileage readings (trip, mileage up which I guess would be for a multi-day trip or for keeping track of monthly mileage, and total bike mileage). It has auto-on (again, my SI computers don't have this), auto-off, it has an LED backlight which looks like Timex Indiglo (again, my SI computers don't have this), and measures trip mileage in hundreths which is nice when going up a steep hill (it gives the illusion of progress).
Old 02-04-07, 10:10 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Hemet Rider
I have just bought a new bike and started to ride again. On my first ride with a group this morning one of the fellows sugested that I get a cycling computer to help with training. With so many out there what features should I be looking for? Would like to start out with out going in for anything high end. Any suggestions?
Decide what it is that you are training for. Then you can try to narrow down the available products to meet that goal. Are you "training" when cycling?

For me and my zero goal training agenda, a $5 Timex wrapped around the handlebars provides all the time info I need with lighting, and more that I don't (like elapsed time, alarm clock, etc.)
Old 02-07-07, 09:06 PM

Bikes: Bike Friday Tikit, Brompton M3LA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting a Specialized Turbo Elite. One of the guys I ride with had one and it looked good.
Old 02-07-07, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow that was quick. 4 hours after you post for advice you got one!
Old 02-08-07, 07:25 AM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some people know what they want when they see something they like...I have learned if you see something you really like, you'd better buy it cause the next time you are looking it might not be there.