Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

And Speaking of Jerseys

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

And Speaking of Jerseys

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-07, 01:35 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And Speaking of Jerseys

Normally I fit into a size "Medium" in shirts sold by LL Bean and a "Large" in the cheap-o "club cut" Performance jerseys that I usually buy. Without really thinking, I picked up a "Pro-Fit" jersey on sale the other day.

Holy Toledo, I felt like I had been stuffed into a sausage casing. It was a sight that no one should be forced to endure. Even my wife had to avert her eyes. If there was ever an incentive to lose 10 (or more) pounds, I just found it.
Old 02-26-07, 02:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post photos please...
Old 02-26-07, 02:15 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
Normally I fit into a size "Medium" in shirts sold by LL Bean and a "Large" in the cheap-o "club cut" Performance jerseys that I usually buy. Without really thinking, I picked up a "Pro-Fit" jersey on sale the other day.

Holy Toledo, I felt like I had been stuffed into a sausage casing. It was a sight that no one should be forced to endure. Even my wife had to avert her eyes. If there was ever an incentive to lose 10 (or more) pounds, I just found it.
+1

I'm a 42 or 44 depending on cut of shirt. The first time I tried to get into a L cycling jersey I looked like Houdini trying to get out of a straight jacket.
Old 02-26-07, 02:19 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big Paulie
Post photos please...
Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent. At this juncture.
Old 02-26-07, 03:05 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
There is a significant difference between american sizes, the sizes sold by performance (they actually post dimensions which is very useful) and european or the european style jersey. An XL american may be a 3X, 4X or even 5X by other standards. If at all possible get the dimensions in inches before trusting the size label.
You have already noticed that the Skin tight nature of a road jersey will magnify any bulges or lumps not present in the figure of a 150lb pro rider.
MTB jerseys are cut a little more free.
For a real bargan go down to one of the big box stores like Kohls and buy a brightly colored sport cut shirt made of wicking fabric for under $15. Works and looks good for cheap.
Old 02-26-07, 03:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent. At this juncture.
Old 02-26-07, 03:24 PM

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Cotton jerseys?

I'd like to get a cycling jersey, but I'm put off by the synthetic fibers they all seem to be made of. Isn't there anything on the market made of cotton or perhaps a cotton blend?

Regards,

Ek

Last edited by Ekdog; 02-27-07 at 04:18 AM.
Old 02-26-07, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't wear jerseys just because it seems too much like putting on a helmet and pads to play football with your kids in the park. When I can ride like Leipheimer, I'll dress like him. But I do like bright colors, to catch drivers' eyes, and wicking fabrics. If you look around, you can often find CoolMax T-shirts in bright orange or yellow-green for $8 to $12. I got mine at Sierra Trading Post (www.sierratradingpost.com) a couple of years ago (they have an outlet store where I live). It's the all-time best cycling shirt ever, if you don't want to look like a NASCAR Dodge.
Old 02-26-07, 04:48 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I love cotton but not for cycling. It's the worst -- once it's wet, it stays wet. And it gets heavier the wetter it gets.

The synthetic materials aren't my first choice for everyday wear but I swear by 'em for any kind of perspiration-inducing activity. They actually wick the moisture away from your body, rather than absorb it, thus staying light, dry, & relatively comfortable. Sure makes for a more enjoyable ride.
Old 02-26-07, 06:18 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
For a short, low exertion ride on a cool day, cotton is fine. Seersucker or some other weave that helps increase ventilation can extend the comfort zone of cotton a bit. But any ride that is strenuous enough to make you sweat is not a good time to be wearing cotton. Cotton is also a bad choice on a cooler day if rain is a possibility. You'll freeze. Wool is a better choice for a natural fabric cycling shirt. It still breathes and insulates when it gets wet.
But for long rides in hot weather, those awful synthetic fabrics simply work better to wick away the sweat and to keep air moving across your skin to cool it. I sometimes wear cheap wicking shirts with good results. But on a hot day I like having a zipper so I can let air in to cool me off. Also, the pockets on cycling jerseys are great for carrying food and stuff while riding.
Old 02-26-07, 07:18 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, the size differences in jerseys is just too much. I bought a synthetic sleeveless shirt at wally world as a base layer, and had to get a medium. A week later, I returned a Performance XXL jersey because it was too small. I am really glad that a local Performance store just opened, so I can actually try on some sale priced jerseys before I buy.

Speaking of jerseys, when are we going to do a bf50+ jersey? But if it's cotton, count me out......
Old 02-26-07, 07:36 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Au contraire le cotton. I like to ride when it's hot in a chopped t-shirt....made into a belly-button-long tank top. Put it over a pair of bibs and hit the road. The dry heat in the Great Valley and brown CA foothills keeps the cotton from staying wet and I get lots of air circulation. My Italian complexion keeps me from burnng once my tan is "set". I spent a summer in the humidity of the East coast...how can you people take it....once you're wet, which is right away, you never dry out. People here just have to like the color brown....by late May, many lowland parts of CA betray their semi-desert geography.
Old 02-26-07, 07:43 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bid $5 on the Jet Travis photos.

Did you try on any of their shorts?

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 02-26-07, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Rider
The synthetic materials aren't my first choice for everyday wear but I swear by 'em for any kind of perspiration-inducing activity. They actually wick the moisture away from your body, rather than absorb it, thus staying light, dry, & relatively comfortable. Sure makes for a more enjoyable ride.
+1 That high wick stuff will make me COLD if I'm not careful. It's wonderful how well it works. Amazing in the summer, and as long as you have a fleece layer and a windblocker, it's the right first layer in the winter too. But I have to admit, there are lots of times when it's just plain old nice out, I wear a white tee shirt. Don't even own a single jersey, and likely never will. I'm the same way about fishing, kind of a low tech reverse snob...
Old 02-26-07, 08:22 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One other note on cotton. If you are prone to be odoriferous (thad' be stinky) when you perspire, a few rides in that cotton shirt and you won't be wearing it for long. Unless, of course, you enjoy the smell of chlorine bleach
Old 02-26-07, 08:31 PM
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
If you want a natural fabric, think wool. As in thin merino wool fro summer, thicker and/or multiple layers for winter. Handles moisture as well as the sunthetics. Take multiple uses before it starts to stink, unlike the synthetics. Retains its ability to keep you warm when it's wet, which cotton does not do at all and most synthetics do poorly. Can be had in jerseys, t-shirts, long-sleeve t-shirts, sweaters, whatever. Costs more. Lasts longer. Can be washed in a washing machine (gentle, cold water, NOT with Woolite - use Ivory liquid instead) but line or flat dry it. Worth the investment as long as you are not still growing.
Old 02-26-07, 10:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I bid $5 on the Jet Travis photos.
$6.50 bid by Big Paulie...
Old 02-26-07, 10:21 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$6.50 bid by Big Paulie...
I'll bid a buck ninety eight.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 02-26-07, 10:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found a t-shirt thickness, merino wool, long sleeve shirt a few years ago on-line, and use it as my undergarment regardless of the temperature. It really neutralizes extreme conditions, and I can use a "standard" synthetic riding jersey while still getting the benefits of wearing wool.

I hand wash my wool t-shirt in "Eucalan" about every 5 rides.

Last edited by Big Paulie; 02-26-07 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-26-07, 10:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I'll bid a buck ninety eight.
See, the idea is to bid UP, not Down....
Old 02-26-07, 10:31 PM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I just picked up one of these from Velo News Store, lot's of fond memories of this race.
Old 02-26-07, 10:35 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain
The dry heat in the Great Valley and brown CA foothills keeps the cotton from staying wet and I get lots of air circulation.
Dry heat doesn't count. Try to keep a t-shirt dry when it's 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity! But to be fair, it's only like that 4 or 5 months out of the year around here.
Old 02-26-07, 10:37 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
See, the idea is to bid UP, not Down....
And in a moment of clarity, Digital Gee began to understand why he never wins anything on eBay.
Old 02-26-07, 11:14 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
And in a moment of clarity, Digital Gee began to understand why he never wins anything on eBay.
Actually, it had everything to do with knowing EXACTLY what I was bidding on.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 02-26-07, 11:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We can to that...bid down??? OK, I'll see DG's $1.98, and bid down to 50 cents on the pictures!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.