Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The Third Diego Ride Report

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-07, 12:32 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Distance: 10.38 miles

Location: Kensington (land-locked neighborhood -- no through traffic)

Conditions: 64 degrees, wind calm

Adjustments: Moved saddle back about half a centimeter. (Thanks, jppe!)

Results: Much less knee pain, although I felt some at the beginning, by the end of the ride it was essential non-existant. Hand pain also reduced from yesterday, which may be a result of getting conditioned and used to the bar.

I'm tempted to adjust the bar one more time, so that the tops are absolutely parallel with the street, not leaning down in front.

Kensington is a neighborhood that has no through traffic -- just people leaving and coming home. There is an oval loop nearly a mile long that has but one stop sign -- and that one is easy to blow through because it's very easy to see if there is any on-coming traffic. This means I could keep riding The Diego for several miles without stopping -- what a pleasure that was!

Also, and I realize this is going to sound foo foo, but I feel different on this bike than on the Cypress or the 3900. On those bikes, it's like I'm ON those bikes, riding. On The Diego, it's like the bike is part of me, or vice versa, or something. Aside from getting it dialed in, the bike is almost "invisible" from a perceptual point of view. I mean, I almost don't sense it being there. I don't know, I can't explain it.

So I have to admit that road biking is really fun. And I'm *this much closer* to having The Diego dialed in.

By the way, I'm having no problems whatsoever getting accustomed to the saddle.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-05-07, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
... On The Diego, it's like the bike is part of me, or vice versa, or something. Aside from getting it dialed in, the bike is almost "invisible" from a perceptual point of view. I mean, I almost don't sense it being there. I don't know, I can't explain it.

That's why I ride a road bike and love my high end road bike. I've never been in an airborne glider, but when I hit the sweeping turns on a good road bike, I suspect it feels similar.
Old 04-05-07, 12:51 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
So you are getting dialled in. About time too as you've had the bike long enough. Great when the bike is an extension of you though. I have got used to compact frames and that is how I feel on them. Since getting the road bike sorted, I am beginning to enjoy it. BUT I had to change saddles on the road bike. Yet another for the Saddle freaks to try and it is a Selle San Marco "Aero". Bit more padding and a good cutaway for the pelvic bine. I tried the OM saddle out with it being about 1 cm further back and it definitely eased the hands, but I ran into that pelvic bone problem. The new Saddle seems to have cured that though.

Now when is the century planned?

Spike Milligan
Old 04-05-07, 01:01 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Conditions: 64 degrees, wind calm
That's not fair. It's 35 degrees here with 22 mph winds That puts the wind chill down around 23 degrees and that's below my 25 degree cutoff

So I have to admit that road biking is really fun. And I'm *this much closer* to having The Diego dialed in.
By the way, I'm having no problems whatsoever getting accustomed to the saddle.
It makes such a big difference once you get that bike dialed in correctly. It took me almost 5 months of tweaking before I felt 100% comfortable on mine but I think the last trip to the LBS fixed all my problems. Now if the weather would just cooperate I could get back out there and do some more riding.

Glad you're having success getting the Diego setup. Soon you'll be signing up for tours, centuries, etc

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 04-05-07, 02:50 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
You're hooked now, dude. Resistance is futile.
Old 04-05-07, 04:41 PM
as I used to be

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's nothing quite like a properly-fitted road bike. Takes a bit of work to get them completely dialed in, once you do, they're fantastic.
Old 04-05-07, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
It's said Eddie Mercyx used to get up in the middle of the night and make miniscule adjustments
to his bike for the next day's riding.

Fine tuning and dialing in never ends.
Old 04-05-07, 05:33 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Also, and I realize this is going to sound foo foo, but I feel different on this bike than on the Cypress or the 3900. On those bikes, it's like I'm ON those bikes, riding. On The Diego, it's like the bike is part of me, or vice versa, or something.
That's what we've been trying to tell you the last couple of years! (Join Date: 06-05-05)

Glad you finally got there.
Old 04-05-07, 05:56 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Get the bars you way you like them-otherwise you'll always be thinking about it everytime you ride.

Also, how are the hoods? Are they "high enough" up on the bars or are they pushed too far forward towards the very front of the hoods. They are adjustable as well-but you do have to unwrap the bar tape. The trend these days is to have the hoods closer to you instead of pushed towards the front of the drops, or the old racing position.
Old 04-06-07, 09:41 AM

Bikes: Gary Fisher Nirvana, Trek Pilot 2.1, Trek Navigator 200, (wifes bike), Trek T900 Tandem, (our bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AHHhhhhhhh, San Diego....... We're moving back to the area this summer. We've had it with winters and not being able to ride all year. Will be looking forward to getting involved with some group rides once we get there.

Don and Deb
Old 04-06-07, 10:45 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptDon
AHHhhhhhhh, San Diego....... We're moving back to the area this summer. We've had it with winters and not being able to ride all year. Will be looking forward to getting involved with some group rides once we get there.

Don and Deb
Are you certain its safe to go back there? I've heard there is a maniac on the loose that rides his new bike all over the place. Evenheard he drinks 3 day old coffee and that he cross chains aswell.

Now if you find some group rides- make certain to contact DG- I've seen some of the groups that he hankers after riding with when he is out on his cruiser and he does need saving from that group. They look a bit too fit for him and he wouldn't last out the hour if they got hold of him.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-06-07, 01:27 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
make certain to contact DG- I've seen some of the groups that he hankers after riding with when he is out on his cruiser and he does need saving from that group. They look a bit too fit for him and he wouldn't last out the hour if they got hold of him.
DG is the organizing chair of all rides less than 10 miles long that must then be ridden over and over and over to achieve any significant mileage. The club is the San Diego RIAC (Rats In A Cage) but be aware they only sponsor fair weather rides.

Maybe the Diego will allow the Digital Gee to branch out from his neighborhood fun runs to see more of the county...
Old 04-06-07, 01:55 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
From some of the scenery we have observed in previous posts I'm not at all sure that repeating sections of the ride is all that bad a thing......
Old 04-06-07, 02:19 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
From some of the scenery we have observed in previous posts I'm not at all sure that repeating sections of the ride is all that bad a thing......
astute observation - however aren't all the routes in San Diego adorned with the same?
Old 04-06-07, 02:27 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
No, some are adorned by sailors.