Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Are hybrids bad?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Are hybrids bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-07, 07:54 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5468 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Are hybrids bad?

I started out with a Trek mtb. Then I looked around and bought a Raleigh passage 4.5. I love both bikes.

Am I wrong, but it seems like no one on these boards has anything good to say about hybrid bikes. Is there a reason, or is it some kind of bike snob thing? I have never felt comfortable riding a bike in a bent over position using these down-turned handlebars - even as a teenager. Now that I'm over 50 I like them even less. So I ride the mtb and the Raleigh.

Most of my (daily) rides last for a little over an hour on very hilly roads. Soon, I'll be going on a overnighter to a park about 20 some miles away. The bikes I have suit me for these rides.

Do older riders really use the road-style bikes?
Old 04-15-07, 08:23 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Life is short. Nothing wrong with hybrids. Ride what ya like. That's my two cents.

On the other hand, go-fast road bikes are fun. I've modfied mine with higher handlebars and lower (easier) gears than the young 'uns would approve of, but I've got a disc issue and I'm not about to blow out my back trying to act like a 25-year-old
Old 04-15-07, 08:23 PM
Proud To Be An American

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress SX 2006 Giant OCR 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The spectrum hybrid bikes vary from "fitness bikes" to "comfort bikes." My 2004 Giant Cypress SX was advertised as a "road bike with flat bars." I have flipped the stem and changed the tires to 700C x 25. Today, my rides are whatever I can do in one hour...15-20 miles. Over the years, the Giant Cypress SX has morphed into more of a "comfort bike." If I had to get a new bike today, I would look at the Giant FCR 2 or OCR 2. The point is, a hybrid bike can be many things to many people. It is not a necessarily bad bike. Just find one that works for you.
Old 04-15-07, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not many may not respond,it's just as well,some may be apt to talk silly. Nothing that you say is wrong,there's nothing wrong with hybrids,I just converted an old rodie to a hybrid..kinda..some would call it a commuter.I don't have a job,I Do commute to keg parties and barbeques,does THAT count?Hybrid,comm,ftat-bar road bike,they're all good.Maybe riders of hybrids are too busy/comfy ridin' them to be posting here. Hybrids offer a great alternative to drop-bar road bikes,they just DO!.Mountain bikes are slugs. The official word is that hybrids become marginally less efficient after 50 or so mile rides,that's what many bike manufacturers maintain. I don't know,to me ;5 40 miles rides a week trump 1 100 mile ride a week,save braggin' rights,if THAT's a concern.Don't worry about the posts,I've seen dudes posin' with tractors,boastin' about flatulance and re-defining cycling glossarys,I can assure you,most of what's written is provided more for ammusment,read the posts though,I did,I learned alot by accident.I'm 50.
Old 04-15-07, 08:35 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own two good road bikes and love them.
I also own a Treck Hybrid 7700. It is a great bike for limestone trails with 700x38 tires.
I fitted that hybrid with 700x25 and did some road biking. Was not much slower on the flats than a good road bike. Of course in the hills the weight will kill you.
Comfort? I am equally comfortable on the Hybrid as I am on the Treck Madone. Going on the drops takes a little more practice as do using the aerobars.
Old 04-15-07, 08:41 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Whatever kind of bike you like to ride is a good kind of bike. I have a lot of different kinds of bikes and I like them all. But the bike I love is my road bike with drop bars.

Ignore bike snobbery (and reverse bike snobbery).
Old 04-15-07, 08:52 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
...is it some kind of bike snob thing?
In some respects it is. I saw a comment somewhere (not in this forum) ridiculing someone riding around the neighborhood on a hybrid. They could have just returned from a very long ride, who knows? I cannot ride a bike with low bars, due to a prosthesis in my wrist and a problem in the other one that prevents both wrists from extending back with weight on them. In addition, I cannot sit in the low position with my neck bent up to support my head for long without it locking and being very uncomfortable due to compressed disks and bone spurs. My husband has an artificial shoulder, so he too should not put a lot of weight on low bars. We could get road bikes and change the bars and stem, but we also need the suspension to ease the bumps on these joints. So what should we do -- sit on the sofa and wish we could ride a road bike like all the "real" cyclists, but can't, so don't ride a bike at all? Instead we just bought new hybrids and are using leg muscles that haven't been used in years, and really enjoying our time together on the bikes. Suspension + raised bar + larger/wide tires + lots o' gears = hybrid, the right bike for us.

Get the bike that is right for YOU and don't listen to the nay-sayers.

Last edited by Yen; 04-15-07 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-15-07, 09:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are they bad? I hope not, I'm named myself after one.
If it weren't for my hybrid, I wouldn't be riding today.
And I still love riding that bike
Old 04-15-07, 10:05 PM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Your bikes suit you, so there's really no debate.

The supposed advantages of a road bike are that the curved handlbars allow you to shift hand positions to lessen fatigue, you can lean your torso lower and farther forward to lessen wind resistance and get more weight on the pedal during the downstroke, the skinny tires are fast, and you can pretend you're in the Tour de France.

The advantages of a hybrid are that your hands are always on the brakes, and the wide handlebars allow for more confident steering at low speeds or in tight spots. The upright body posture is more comfortable and gives you better visibility, and it's not necessary to crane your arthritic neck to see ahead. The slightly fatter tires are better for potholes and packed trails than road tires would be.

Last edited by cooker; 04-16-07 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-15-07, 10:29 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EXCALIBUR
The spectrum hybrid bikes vary from "fitness bikes" to "comfort bikes." My 2004 Giant Cypress SX was advertised as a "road bike with flat bars." I have flipped the stem and changed the tires to 700C x 25. Today, my rides are whatever I can do in one hour...15-20 miles. Over the years, the Giant Cypress SX has morphed into more of a "comfort bike." If I had to get a new bike today, I would look at the Giant FCR 2 or OCR 2. The point is, a hybrid bike can be many things to many people. It is not a necessarily bad bike. Just find one that works for you.
I have the same bike -- the 2004 Cypress SX. I love it. I'm experimenting with a true road bike and enjoying it as well, but my Cypress SX is a wonderful bike. I have it rigged with 700x32 tires these days. Bought it used for $200, and I've put 1700 miles on it so far. Now that's a good deal!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-16-07, 12:16 AM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
Life is short. Nothing wrong with hybrids. Ride what ya like.
seems like the best attitude to have.
since no else is gonna turns the pedals for any of us, what does it matter what anyone thinks?
can't say I've read much in posts which deride hybrids, other than pointing out what some might consider 'limitations'. Whether those are limitations or just variations is really for each of us to decide.

quote - "Am I wrong, but it seems like no one on these boards has anything good to say about hybrid bikes. Is there a reason, or is it some kind of bike snob thing?" -

Roadies (and maybe some commuters, MTBers, Trackies and even Bent riders...) may have prejudice against 'Hybrids'; but like most ingrained and insideous prejudices, they tend to worm around under the surface, so to speak. But rarely broached in polite company.

Considering that hybrids really evolved from MTBs adapted for road use, what they offer in this kinship may be more suited for some and not desired by others.
I do notice more 'justification' from Hybrid riders, which is really only necessary if there something special the hybrid does for you in particular.
On a similar tangent, I rarely read 'justification' from 'Bent' riders. They ride em for their reason, note what they like and naysayers be dammed. Which is as it should be.

Quote - "Do older riders really use the road-style bikes?"

Well, I don;t consider myself 'old', since I'm happily one of the younger members in this forum. I 'abuse' mine as often as I'm allowed. It has many more advantages for me than any other bike form. I personally find a nice road machine to be a highwater expression of the art and industrial form of the bicycle. Course as I gain more decrepitude, my personal prefs may change, but my regard for a fine road machine will not.
Old 04-16-07, 12:24 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had you asked Dr. Seuss, he would have told you,

"Do what you like, say what you feel
Those who mind don't matter
Those who matter don't mind."

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-16-07, 02:32 AM

Bikes: Trek 7100, Fuji Newest 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hybrids are not bad. It depends on what you want to do and how fast you want to go. I have a Trek 7100 great bike, but I am getting a road bike next week as I have the need for speed. On club rides anything over a D or C pace I cannot do on the Hybrid. I am going to put flat bars and 28 cc tires on it though because I am sure I will not stop riding it just because I have a road bike. Oh yeah my wife has a Cypress, another good bike. Ride what you like !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony
Old 04-16-07, 02:56 AM
Proud To Be An American

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress SX 2006 Giant OCR 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I have the same bike -- the 2004 Cypress SX. I love it. I'm experimenting with a true road bike and enjoying it as well, but my Cypress SX is a wonderful bike. I have it rigged with 700x32 tires these days. Bought it used for $200, and I've put 1700 miles on it so far. Now that's a good deal!
I'm also glad I got my Giant Cypress SX in 2004. That was the last year it was built like a road bike with flat bars. After that, you would have to go with the Giant FCR bikes. Keep riding.
Old 04-16-07, 05:09 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Hybrids are not "bad". They are exactly what they say they are, a compromise bike that attempts to allow as much variety in riding as a single design can do. For many sport riders they are the ideal bike. They provide the opportunity for multi surface riding without the necessity of buying more than one bike. The hybrid is an excellent way to bring 50+ riders back to bicycling after some years of layoff.

Snobs in all forms of life tend to look at what you have and determine its "goodness quotient" by what they would do without ever thinking of your needs and viewpoint. As seen in some of the other threads here lately, narrowness of viewpoint is a growing problem.

Old 04-16-07, 05:18 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Do older riders really use the road-style bikes?
I have 2 road bikes. I am 67yo. I have modified the bikes a bit in that:

1. My bars are just a slight bit lower than the saddle, contrary to many folks whose bars are considerably below the saddle.

2. I have "in-line brakes" installed so that I may have excellent braking while using the bars as a riding position.

I also have a mtn bike, and my wife has a hybrid and a mtn bike.

Yes, lots and lots of "older" types around here ride road bikes, including a friend who is 75yo.

But, the very fact that you asked the question indicates that you are having some doubts about your bike.

Don't.

Each of us finds our own way which is best suited to our time in space, our budget, our goals and our personality. Hopefully, by the time one is 50+ he/she doesn't give a hoot about what others say or think.

Keep riding as you like. Besides, for the same mileage, you are going to burn more calories and get more exercise on a hybrid than on a roadie.

Keep pedalin'.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 04-16-07 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-16-07, 05:24 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Snobs in all forms of life tend to look at what you have and determine its "goodness quotient" by what they would do without ever thinking of your needs and viewpoint. As seen in some of the other threads here lately, narrowness of viewpoint is a growing problem.
Yes indeed, and from all sides of the issues. We don't have to tear down the different choices to validate our own.
Old 04-16-07, 05:48 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I've owned one hybrid-an old Scott, with bio-pace chainrings. Worked great for the rail-trails which is what I was using it for. Then went to a mtn.bike, and more recently, added a road bike. If a hybrid suits you and does what you need it to do, then nothing at all wrong with one. Different types of bikes are made for different types of riders and uses-if a hybrid suits your usage, a mtn.bike would be bad most likely. So, if you like hybrids, are comfortable, gets you out for some exercise, and suits the type of riding you intend to do, I'd say a hybrid is perfect!
Old 04-16-07, 06:11 AM

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with everyone else. Whatever bike feels comfortable, and most of all, makes you want to get out and bike, then that's the bike for you. Until I bought my new touring bike a couple of months ago, all I had was hybrids. I toured on them, rode the rails to trails on them, communted to work, everything. I still like riding my Marin Hybrid. In fact, I am taking it with me this week to ride while I am out of town working. Ride whatever suits you.
Old 04-16-07, 06:29 AM
Do I use too many commas?

Bikes: Giant Yukon SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only reason I went to drop bars on my commuter is that flat bars make my hands go numb quickly. The more natural position (for me) of my hands on the hoods of the drop bars prevents numbness.

Ride what you like and is comfortable, and ignore the OCP racer weenies.
Old 04-16-07, 07:34 AM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WillisB

Ride what you like and is comfortable, and ignore the OCP racer weenies.
Yeah, that is how I started out 10-15 years ago. After 100's wizz-banged by me I said, WTF?
I paid attention, talked to thes snobs, copied some of what they do and........have a lot of fun now....
Old 04-16-07, 07:48 AM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bikes I have suit me for these rides.
You said it best yourself.

Now go for a ride!
Old 04-16-07, 09:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Hybrids are not "bad". They are exactly what they say they are, a compromise bike that attempts to allow as much variety in riding as a single design can do. For many sport riders they are the ideal bike. They provide the opportunity for multi surface riding without the necessity of buying more than one bike. The hybrid is an excellent way to bring 50+ riders back to bicycling after some years of layoff.
Hear! Hear!
Old 04-16-07, 09:58 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
The alternative (done by myself and many others in this forum because bikes are fun) is to own 3 or 4 or 5 different bikes each optomized for one particular thing. My next bike.....#6 will probably be a hybrid......maybe I've done this backwards.

Nah, I still like all of them.
Old 04-16-07, 10:28 AM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Whatever kind of bike you like to ride is a good kind of bike. I have a lot of different kinds of bikes and I like them all. But the bike I love is my road bike with drop bars.

Ignore bike snobbery (and reverse bike snobbery).
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.