Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Coda Commuter Arrived...............

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-07, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For the past few months I have been considering buying a commuter and wanted a steelie, so I started looking for a Jamis Coda.

After calling shops around the area it soon became obvious that they were out of my budget so I started looking at Craigslist and E-Bay.
One seller had a Coda, but it too was sold for more than I could afford. During the process I did exchange e-mails with the seller, who actually works in a shop in Windsor, Canada. He said he handled internet sales and suggested I call the shop on their toll free number.

Last Saturday, (the 15th) I ordered a Jamis Coda....without ever seeing one in person.

The process could not have been easier. The folks were great and gave me a price on an '06 Coda Sport that was between 100 and 200 dollars less than any shops that I contacted here in South Carolina, and up in Charlotte, North Carolina. And that was with shipping.....

Monday I got a note saying that the bike was on the way but not when it would arrive.

Today was the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to work a split shift today so I brought the box home and assembled my first bike in thirty years. The process went pretty smoothly after I finally figured out how to put wheels on a bike with cantilever brakes.

There was only time for a ride up and down the street but I couldn't be happier. I quickly replaced the soft saddle with an old Bontrager and can't wait until tomorrow to go for a ride.

The point of this is to thank all the people who answered all my questions about the Jamis and for tips on using E-Bay.

And to say that the folks at 'The Bicycle Shop' were great. If you are looking for a good deal I would check out these folks. By not buying at a lbs I will have to work on the bike myself, but as I said earlier, the Jamis dealers are all about 100 miles away from me, so that was a given.

I really hesitate to mention the price, but it was soooo much cheaper than anything anybody else had.

Here is their site..........https://www.thebicycleshop.ca/default_store.asp

The person I dealt with is Lenard Beaudoin......Thanks Len.

I don't have any type of camera, but it looks even better than the Jamis web-site.
Old 04-19-07, 09:26 PM

Bikes: Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good choice, LP. My older son just got a deal on an '06 Coda Sport from a LBS. He loves it. Its black and blue, right? I have two Jamis', an '01 Aurora for commuting and an '05 Quest.

Anyway, congrats and enjoy.
Old 04-19-07, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have just over 100 miles on a new Coda Elite. I changed the bars and raised the stem, added some bar ends between the grips and the brakes for comfort's sake. Lost the suspension seatpost for a carbon one and put on a B-17. Now it suits me to a T. The steel bike with carbon fork and seatpost is more comfortable than my old aluminum Navigator with a suspension fork was. And its a lot lighter and faster. I was a little wondering about the factory gearing, but won't be changing that. They're nice bikes, I really was torn between the Elite and the Comp, but I'm a big guy and wanted the 32 spoke wheels on the Elite. Congratulations on your new bike and I hope you like it a lot.
Old 04-19-07, 10:53 PM
Proxymoron

Bikes: Jamis Coda Sport, Marin Muirwoods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on your new ride, LastPlace. The Codas are great bikes and you`re gonna love it. A lot of smiles and miles. I`ve been very pleased with my `05 Coda Sport. I added Serfas Stabilizer bar ends, swapped the stock seat for a Terry Liberator, and I`m good to go all day long on it. Smooooth....
Old 04-20-07, 07:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks folks. Hopefullly this afternoon I can sneak out of work early so I can go for a ride to see how this thing handles.

Since I gave away my last mountain bike I have regreted it and won't make that mistake again. Also, it will be neat to compare it to my road bike.

Lastly, this weekend I will try riding to work to figure out a route and to see how long it will take so I can hopefully do some commuting in the near future.

Thanks again and don't hesitate to check out the guys in Canada.....https://www.thebicycleshop.ca/

They were great to me.
Old 04-20-07, 10:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW, has anyone here tired the 'Ergon' grips, and if so, what are they like?
Old 04-20-07, 02:21 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by LastPlace
BTW, has anyone here tired the 'Ergon' grips, and if so, what are they like?

Yes, I have them on my Coda Elite, with trekking bars and I like them very much. I'm at the point where I don't have to look for an other bike for a while. I just got back after a 40 mile ride. The wind was blowing 14 mph and everything was fine, but I ran out of time and had to get home. I changed the gearing on mine to 26/36/48 and I'm very happy with it. I was at the Hill Country of Texas with it a few weeks ago and I didn't have any problems getting up any of the hills with that set-up. Good luck with your new bike and I know your going to like it very much, George
Old 04-20-07, 08:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks George. Do you know what model of Ergon grips you have?
Old 04-20-07, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the LBS today and they had a customer bike, 2006 Coda Supreme. Yellow with carbon. Sweet bike.
Old 04-20-07, 11:13 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terrierman
I have just over 100 miles on a new Coda Elite. I changed the bars and raised the stem, added some bar ends between the grips and the brakes for comfort's sake. Lost the suspension seatpost for a carbon one and put on a B-17. Now it suits me to a T.
Wow, you made quite a few mods in the first 100 miles!

Got any pics of the current config?

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 04-21-07, 08:03 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Hey LastPlace, I posted a picture of them a few weeks ago, and I named the thread " Handlebars" it should still be around, but if it isn't the model number is P1 series. I thought I just seen them for $20, but I can't remember where.I know Nashbar and Performance have free shipping for another day or so. Anyhow have fun with your new bike and take care, George