Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The Lifespan of a Helmet

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The Lifespan of a Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-07, 04:50 PM
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I just retired my old school Bell helmet a year ago. It served me well for decades. But when I joined the bicycle advocacy group, I just had to update my look a bit and went for a Bell Metro.

Old 04-20-07, 05:50 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
I just retired my old school Bell helmet a year ago. It served me well for decades. But when I joined the bicycle advocacy group, I just had to update my look a bit and went for a Bell Metro.

My God you look smashing!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-20-07, 06:55 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the look of the Metro. I would have got one, except my large melon head fit better inside of the Bell Triton XL helmet.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 04-20-07, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
Giro suggests 3 years.
And the quick lube says your car will die if you don't change the oil every month while Mercedes has had a 12,000 oil change interval for years. If Giro could say it with a stright face they would want you to buy a new helmet every month.
Old 04-20-07, 10:55 PM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Me thinks that ain't Arkansas.
Old 04-20-07, 11:09 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What, you don't recognize the Ozark Mountains, where the Razorback Palm tree grows?!?

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 04-20-07, 11:16 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just retired my old school Bell helmet a year ago. It served me well for decades.
My gawd, an original Bell Biker. I remember when they first came out. No wonder bike racers at the time absolutely refused to wear hard shell helmets. I never wore a Bell Biker because it made you look like a mushroom. I remember seeing groups of touring cyclists, all wearing Bell Bikers, ambling into the country store, looking like a walking mushroom bed. Very ugly. Pass the manure!

To this day, even with the more stylish and manly helmet designs available nowadays, I still take off my helmet as soon as I get off the bike. You will never catch me wandering around the country store shelves with a bike helmet on. There's still something I find both stupid and unfashionable about wearing a helmet when not on a bike.

- L.
Old 04-20-07, 11:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
What, you don't recognize the Ozark Mountains, where the Razorback Palm tree grows?!?

Old 04-20-07, 11:22 PM
road warrior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've had a couple of giro atmos' that i used for about 3 or so years each before retiring them (no crashes, but after so long even washing the pads and soaking the straps has diminishing returns of cleanliness, plus it's inevitable in 3 years you've dropped it or bounced it off the door more than a few times.) i recently purchased a LAS squalo which has a dial adjustment which fits much more securely...and two (winter/summer) one-piece liner/pads which are a breeze to r/r for washing. i figure whatever rationale you need to justify buying new bike gear is always right!
Old 04-20-07, 11:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
My gawd, an original Bell Biker. I remember when they first came out. No wonder bike racers at the time absolutely refused to wear hard shell helmets. I never wore a Bell Biker because it made you look like a mushroom. I remember seeing groups of touring cyclists, all wearing Bell Bikers, ambling into the country store, looking like a walking mushroom bed. Very ugly. Pass the manure!

To this day, even with the more stylish and manly helmet designs available nowadays, I still take off my helmet as soon as I get off the bike. You will never catch me wandering around the country store shelves with a bike helmet on. There's still something I find both stupid and unfashionable about wearing a helmet when not on a bike.

- L.
Two comments. As we used to say in the Navy, "We are just like mushrooms; feed us B***S*** and watch us grow." And; When I lived in Spain (1981-1983) I actually wore a precusor to the Bell with the hard shell. It was a Bell with a net covering. The Spaniards all thought I was crazy,
Old 04-21-07, 04:30 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Helmet manufacturers & bike shops have been pushing a theory that the foam outgasses and becomes more brittle & less shock absorbent after about 3 years.
I'll buy into that when the manufacturers start putting build-date codes on the helmets and retailers discount the price based on how much of the "life" has been used up sitting around the warehouse and display shelf.

TCS
Old 04-21-07, 03:26 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
I'll buy into that when the manufacturers start putting build-date codes on the helmets and retailers discount the price based on how much of the "life" has been used up sitting around the warehouse and display shelf.

TCS

Good point- I once bought a helmet because I liked the look of it and it was cheap. So it should have been as I later found out that the helmet had been discontinued 4 years before.

Time for touching wood as I have not bought a new helmet for a couple of years. It does not take me too long before I find a tree or bounce along the track and in doing so- finish up going the shop for a new helmet. It has got to the stage where I have 2 helmets now- just so I can ride midweek- even though I have a helmet that has a crack in it or parts of it are littered on the trail

Spike Milligan
Old 04-21-07, 06:08 PM
Steel Frame

Bikes: Roadbike, commuterbike and wife's "Bike with a bell and a basket" 3 speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting thread.

I've been doing some searching on simply replacing the foam liners that Velcro to the inside of the foam shell. My helmet I think is around 4 years old and never concussed or dropped hard but the black foam "fitting" liners with the lycra cloth layer have all deteriorated from sweat, age and ozone here in NYC.

How do you folks replace those foam liners? My head is itching from the velcro hook parts on the inside of the Helm awaiting some padding against my near 'Baldy' hair cut!

I was at the LBS today, and forgot to ask for the "Fitting Foam" discarded by the new Spring helmet buyers. I think I'll ask tomorrow. I'd pay 2 bucks for someone's disposed of helmet fitting foam bits.

FWIW, My red helmet doesn't match my bike, but it fits. That's fashionable enough. I wear it whenever I ride a bike. I rinse it in cold water after every workout since my skin gets really itcy if I leave it sweaty.

How do you'all fix the foam liners!?

Last edited by BrooklynRider; 04-21-07 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-22-07, 04:46 AM
Ol' Paint

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Grand Prix,'71 Schwinn Super Sport, '73 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Schwinn Super Sport, '84(?) Univega Gran Sprint, '89 Schwinn Waterford Paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That is definitely NOT Little Rock. Where was the picture taken?
-- Leon Briggs
Old 04-22-07, 09:39 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by George
I wear mine to bed now.
Some of this stuff has me paranoid, too, George! But I think bike crashing is a full contact sport, so I'll stick with my tried and true hardshell climber from 1977. Sorry about that, Fashion Gods, but I don't buy the Marketing/Industry poop. Maybe I'm already brain-dead from years of football and hockey . Seems like if a hardshell works for that, it should be good enough for taking a tumble off a bike.
https://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=34r9jqw
Old 04-22-07, 10:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jcm
Some of this stuff has me paranoid, too, George! But I think bike crashing is a full contact sport, so I'll stick with my tried and true hardshell climber from 1977. Sorry about that, Fashion Gods, but I don't buy the Marketing/Industry poop. Maybe I'm already brain-dead from years of football and hockey . Seems like if a hardshell works for that, it should be good enough for taking a tumble off a bike.
Especially cool that your shirt and harshell are matching colors.
Old 04-22-07, 10:43 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jcm
OMG you go out in public with that helmet???

Fashion Gods be damned!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-22-07, 03:06 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
OMG you go out in public with that helmet???

Fashion Gods be damned!
Hey! Come to think of it, we could be cousins! If I took it off, my Helmet Hair would look just like yours, DG!
Old 04-30-07, 07:39 PM
Steel Frame

Bikes: Roadbike, commuterbike and wife's "Bike with a bell and a basket" 3 speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well for what if worth, I've realized the helmet I own is probably past it's "Use by" date. It must be 8 years old at least. I did some more figuring, and realized it's way older than 4.

Nashbar has a deal on the Bell Metro helmet from 2005 in my size. Comes with a few doodads like a mirror, visor, winter ear-muffs and rain fly for the price of regular helmet. I'm retiring my old one, disintegrated foam liners and all.

Rather have my brain in something current at least.

Last edited by BrooklynRider; 05-02-07 at 06:41 PM.