Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Dog Repellant..........

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Dog Repellant..........

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-07, 07:59 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Dog Repellant..........

Never had a dog problem with the mtn.bike, but I'm relatively new to this road bike thing. And after having a dog try to catch me the other day, was wondering, what do you use for dog repellent. I own, and like dogs, so I don't want to harm them, just keep them from shredding an ankle or calf should one happen to be able to outrun me. Recommendations?
Old 06-08-07, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pepper spray works. Just don't get it on your hands and then take your contacts out. Even after washing them. I've trained two dogs to stop chasing me with only two hits each.
Old 06-08-07, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Squirt water bottle in face (dogs') , smack on snout with pump, yell really loud and hope someone comes out of house.
Old 06-08-07, 08:10 AM

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When chased by a dog, I stop rather than try to outrun. The dog usually does too. In the unlikely event the dog is persistent, I give him a squirt in the face from a waterbottle which does the trick.
Old 06-08-07, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You ought to check the threads here. This topic arrises weekly. I've tried many things. If it's the same dog all or most of the time, you MUST deal with the owner,that's a stradegy. A tactic that may(works for me) work,along with others,is to dis-mount the bike. In so doing, you're disrupting the behavior, taking the "game away". The dog views you and the bike as a singular entity. You get off the bike, you beome a human, he may or may not respest. He will though, most likely. Besides a bike makes a good sheild. I've heard of Bear Repellant,it's long distance. Spraying Amonia or such is ********. It will bother YOU more than it's worth anyway. Mailmen have problems , THEY rarely use pepper spray and are at more risk than you are as a cyclist, they're the mailman, a universal enemy among dogs,an intruder, you and your bike are a game, see the difference ?
Old 06-08-07, 09:16 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Little difference. Mailman gets attacked by dog, I get attacked by dog. Common thread, dog owner!
Old 06-08-07, 09:18 AM
Flying & Biking Member

Bikes: TREK 2005 Navigator 200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The reason that mail carriers and meter readers don't use the pepper sprays is that there is some liability to the employers. I work for a large utility company and our readers now use something that looks like an umbrella. The only thing that I'd use that for is to beat the darn dog. Or even better, the owners who don't restrain their dogs. There-- I even feel better!

The sprays do work-- a few times and the dogs will not be chasing you! (If that doesn't work, the ol' .357 never fails!!!) I know--- most of us would never do this, yet it makes one feel like it at times--- especially as a huge German Shepard sinks his 2 1/2 inch teeth into your thigh... ouch--- just thinking of it brings back memory pain!!!!!!

Old 06-08-07, 09:38 AM

Bikes: ICE Adventure 26FS, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For dogs that just want to chase, a small signal horn works wonders ... like the Falcon AquaBlast or 911 products on this page. It straps to the bars, is fast to get at, and very easy to operate. They're available in the boating dept of many big box stores.

And for dogs not deterred by the signal horn, I carry a 2oz can of duty grade pepper spray attached to the handle bars.
Old 06-08-07, 10:02 AM
Hypoxic Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It isn't just getting chased. I've been fortunate so far and that
hasn't been a big problem. My most recent issues have been
little old ladies on one side of a MUP with a dog _far_ off the other
side. The nearly invisible garroting lines that they call 'leads' are
generally low enough that they don't threaten me but that old lady
and that rodent (not big enough to be a dog) are apt to get hurt.
Old 06-08-07, 10:18 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Most of the dogs that come out toward me while riding can be stopped verbally. Either by talking friendly or by firmly telling them to "STOP!" or by saying "NO!" or "BAD DOG!". If the owner is within earshot, I substitute "BAD OWNER!". When that doesn't work, a squirt in the face from a water bottle ususlly makes them stop. As a last resort if I can't stop the dog or outrun it, I get off the bike with the bike between me and the dog and move toward the dog using the bike as a shield until the dog goes away or until help arrives.
Old 06-08-07, 10:24 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5& 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/pepper/Fox/index.htm

I use this type and have it mounted with the bike holder.

https://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/spray_holders.htm

Scroll down to see the bike holder.

Al
Old 06-08-07, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When we were in Glacier National Park hiking my son had a can of bear spray that is supposed to stop them 15 feet away. Grisley bears that is, not some scrawney dog. Only drawback is the can weighs about 2 pounds.
Old 06-08-07, 12:16 PM
Coyote!

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
It's an escalation thing. I'm a big fan of the "NO!" and "GO HOME!" technique. . .dunno' why but it is remarkably effective when uttered in a voice that reminds 'em that they "taste just like chicken". For repeat offenders I use household ammonia in a squeeze bottle. It denies 'em breath so they have a choice to make and follow the tenets of Maslow's Heirarchy every time. The drawback with ammonia is that you need to plan ahead; that's why I say "repeat offenders". One time does the trick tho', no repeat performances.

Old 06-08-07, 12:21 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I don't see why freeranger is whining, it was me the dog was chasing. freeranger didn't have anything to worry about, as I would have made a very adequate meal for our canine nemesis.

I used to carry some pepper spray with me but I haven't lately. I'm changing my mind on that one.

The only good thing about the incident was that it served as an interval/sprint work-out. I think I went from 10 mph to about 35 in two seconds. Or at least it felt that way.
Old 06-08-07, 12:48 PM
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dog shampoo seems to repel our dog. Alternatively, if you've got a trailer, hook up a car battery to an inverter and run a vacuum cleaner. (Possibly only amusing to dog owners.)
Old 06-08-07, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Frame pump, works every time.
Old 06-08-07, 01:00 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gear
I have to agree. If a dog is going to chase- It has to be stopped. Instant way to find out who the owner is, is to threaten the dog with violence- Then you can point out to the owner that their dog is in danger and not you. I am a dog lover but Sometines drastic action has to be taken.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-08-07, 01:02 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by gear
Have you ever seen what a frame pump does to spokes when a rider swings at a dog and misses? He ends up on the ground with a dog in his face and a destroyed wheel.

Similar problem with sprays. Even if you manage to get to the spray in time to spray it at the dog before the dog gets you, you are as likely to spray it into your own eyes as the dog's.
Old 06-08-07, 01:21 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
A few weeks ago I was out of town on business and had taken along my bike. Your worst nightmare....while ten miles out in the middle of nowhere......three pit bulls sleeping on the front porch of some red neck's house. I was even with them before they spotted me (keep the chain oiled). I had my "HALT" with me, but this was the first time I had ever used it. I hit two of the dogs with it and they immediately stopped.

The third dog wasn't much of a sprinter.

Last edited by Monoborracho; 08-21-07 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-08-07, 01:27 PM
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Have you ever seen what a frame pump does to spokes when a rider swings at a dog and misses? He ends up on the ground with a dog in his face and a destroyed wheel.

Similar problem with sprays. Even if you manage to get to the spray in time to spray it at the dog before the dog gets you, you are as likely to spray it into your own eyes as the dog's.
I hoping no one on this forum would even think to try those manuevers from a moving bicycle.

I was charged by a dog about a month ago. I dismounted and stood with the bike between me and the mutt. I didn't threaten it, I just stood there giving it the stink-eye. It stood there for awhile daring me to threaten it's territory. I started eating a Clifbar and acting like the whole thing was getting boring (which it was), and the dog yawned and trotted off.

I have to admit that it would have been more fun to mace the stupid cur down.
Old 06-08-07, 01:42 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg

I've used pepper spray at least half a dozen times, and never had a problem getting it in my eyes.

Get the "stream", not the "fog" dispensers and you won't have problems with blowback unless there's a strong wind blowing.
Old 06-08-07, 02:32 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MNBikeguy
When chased by a dog, I stop rather than try to outrun. The dog usually does too. In the unlikely event the dog is persistent, I give him a squirt in the face from a waterbottle which does the trick.
That won't work against aggressive dogs.

It also will definitely not work if there's more than one dog...and you don't always know if another dog is going to show up to join in the fun. With multiple dogs, they'll work together to outflank you...even using your bike as a shield is often ineffective.
Old 06-08-07, 02:34 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's one of the better web pages I've seen for how to deal with dogs.
Old 06-08-07, 02:35 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
A few weeks ago I was out of town on business and had taken along my bike. Your worst nightmare....while ten miles out in the middle of nowhere......three pit bulls sleeping on the front porch of some red neck's house. I was even with them before they spotted me (keep the chain oiled). I had my "HALT" with me, but this was the first time I had ever used it. I hit two of the dogs with it and they immediately stopped.

The third dog wasn't much of a sprinter.
Get "cop strength" pepper spray. Unlike Halt!, it can also be used to stop the dog's owners (and, it works just fine on the dogs too).
Old 06-08-07, 02:39 PM
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
Here's one of the better web pages I've seen for how to deal with dogs.
Good articles. No doubt about it, its pepper spray from now on. Plus it sounds like fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.