Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

OK, I give in

Old 06-16-07, 06:53 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I give in

I just ordered bike shorts and a few wicking tops. I think it was the "cotton is a killer" post that convinced me to try it. I never* thought I'd do it, but I really suffer in the heat and have been struggling with it.

I lived for a few years in Yuma, AZ (temp yesterday was 114 degrees) and got official sun stroke. Ever since, the sun bothers me in a strange way. My body overheats, the actual light* seems to do something wierd and make me sick for even a couple days if I'm not careful. I have to ride at about 6 in the morning, and be home by nine right now, with the temps in the 90s.

I have a helmet with a visor (apparently Fred), polarized and UV sunglasses, and I usually wear the lightest clothes I can think of. cotton gauze and sheeting, etc.

What I don't understand about wicking clothes is that I was under the impression that the sweat evaporating off your skin was what kept you cool. If the moisture wicks away to evaporate, then why is that a good thing?

Bike clothing runs very* small compared to normal clothes... wow.
Old 06-16-07, 06:59 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't forget that you can get wicking-fiber jerseys very inexpensively at Target. They don't have a cycling jersey's back pockets, but they are very cool and cost around $9-$12 each. Champion C9 brand.
Old 06-16-07, 07:40 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, cool! Men's dept?

I'm interested in seeing what the padding feels like. I'm doing OK in my new Brooks B-17, though, riding it a little every day. The first couple days I'd feel an "ouch" when I sat down on it at first, but then it didn't bother me and I haven't gotten sore yet. I think it's because I have a lot of natural padding. Who needs gel when you have cellulite?

I slide around on it a lot, though. Every time I put my hands in a different position, my bottom goes with it. I'm beginning to think that's wrong, if the idea is that the seat will form to your bottom.

Shoulder/neck muscles seem to be holding their own, no back pain, no wrist pain! I think a new bike was a good choice.
Old 06-16-07, 07:43 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PS: I got mine off Sierra Trading post, and I bought some baby snowsuits, too. My total order was 81% off retail, and I've verified that the retail prices are accurate. They have a lot of LL Bean basic and long sleeved t-s there for $6, and retail is $25 as stated, as well as some other things I've compared. I buy pretty much all my clothes there. Disclosure: I don't work there, know them, or own their stock!

Last edited by solveg; 06-16-07 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-16-07, 07:48 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
If you want to go the inexpensive way to see if a chamois (padding) helps, you could get Andiamo padded cycling underwear at Performance (probably others carry it also, but I know they do). And once you start wearing wicking material, you'll never go back to cotton. I've got a drawer full of cotton t-shirts, logo's, shops, rides, etc, but they never get put on if I'm riding in warm weather!!
Old 06-16-07, 07:56 PM
BK 1066

Bikes: Gient OCR (Road) Peogeot (Rain)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in the cool wet northwest but when the weather heats up on occasion I swap my wicking tops for my cotton to retain perspiration. Not being used to heat I struggle with it otherwise.
Old 06-16-07, 08:19 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find them in the men's dept, but I've never looked in the women's dept for them.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-16-07, 08:20 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
If you want to go the inexpensive way to see if a chamois (padding) helps, you could get Andiamo padded cycling underwear at Performance (probably others carry it also, but I know they do).
+1

I have one of these and like it very much.
Old 06-16-07, 08:24 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
I'm doing OK in my new Brooks B-17, though, riding it a little every day...

I slide around on it a lot, though. Every time I put my hands in a different position, my bottom goes with it. I'm beginning to think that's wrong, if the idea is that the seat will form to your bottom.
Brooks saddles tend to be slick when they are new. It may help to point the nose up very slightly from what seems to be level, at least until the surface loses a little of its gloss and then you won't slide so much. Sweating a lot will speed up the process.