Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wow! Just....WOW!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Wow! Just....WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-07, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! Just....WOW!

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...89#post4947889

Sorry,I thought this was kind of funny. As it turns out the hernia was just one of a number of fairly minor health problems since,and culminating in a heart attack last fall. I had to sell my Tassajara to help pay some of my deductibles that my insurance didn't cover. My doctors finally decided that bike riding would be a good exercise option as long as I take it easy to begin with,self monitor,and don't push it. I'v been looking for an old road bike for a month and finally found a late 70s model Centurion Le Mans on Craigslist today that I picked up for $25! Anyway I was googling for info on it and this forum came up and I was wondering how long it'd been since I'd been here. And theres my post from 2 years ago on the first page!

As far as the heart attack and prognosis...I had a couple stents installed,of course just a few days before the big stent controversy started last fall. Its not a good feeling when you see your procedure on 60 minutes when you're just home from the hospital! Anyway I completely overhauled my "single guys diet",got my cholesterol down below 100 on my own and I'm taking 1/5 dose of Lipitor a day. They say the plaque in my arteries should dissipate and I could be good for another 20 years. Told 'em I was planning on much longer than that!

Back in the saddle again!
Old 07-28-07, 08:19 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Way to go!
Old 07-28-07, 08:27 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Norwester
Its not a good feeling when you see your procedure on 60 minutes when you're just home from the hospital!

Back in the saddle again!
If "60 minutes" said that New Years Day falls on the 1st of January, I wouldn't believe it until it was comfirmed by non-partisan source. Just had to get that off my chest.

Congratulations! And good luck on the biking.

PS. I hear a steady littany of "my knees hurt because I'm 60 pounds overweight, so I can't exercise anymore, so don't you dare suggest that I do" kinda stuff. I tell 'em all to buy a good bike and get rolling. Some of them probably shouldn't go full carbon.
Old 07-28-07, 08:57 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
If "60 minutes" said that New Years Day falls on the 1st of January, I wouldn't believe it until it was comfirmed by non-partisan source. Just had to get that off my chest.
I'm with you on the 60 Minutes, TWL. I watched a couple of episodes its first season (don't remind me how many years ago that was), and realized what I was watching was someone blackballing someone else by telling one side of a story. There's a name for that; it's called McCarthyism. I never watched it again. I would have thought this country would have learned its lesson about McCarthyism 50 years ago, but apparently not; the show did well.

Welcome back, Norwester.
Old 07-28-07, 09:28 PM

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah, wow. I saw 60 Minutes do a smear on sport utilities (hate 'em myself) that proves they could roll in a j curve because the roll center was too high. Who would have ever expected that from a vehicle with high clearance for off road.
Old 07-28-07, 09:56 PM
Bill

Bikes: Specialized Globe Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to here you're up and around. Sounds like good advice from the Dr to 'keep on biking'. It's one of the best things to improve your health. Even better than the Lipitor. Read up on it from those who know at https://www.spacedoc.net/ and https://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm. I've been through it myself so can empathize. Exercise, healthy diet, and low stress are best treatment. Too many side effects from the meds. Was on them about 20 years without improvement in heart health - only muscle pain to show for it. But it kept the Dr's and Pharm's happy.
Old 07-29-07, 11:06 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wmodavis
Good to here you're up and around. Sounds like good advice from the Dr to 'keep on biking'. It's one of the best things to improve your health. Even better than the Lipitor. Read up on it from those who know at https://www.spacedoc.net/ and https://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm. I've been through it myself so can empathize. Exercise, healthy diet, and low stress are best treatment. Too many side effects from the meds. Was on them about 20 years without improvement in heart health - only muscle pain to show for it. But it kept the Dr's and Pharm's happy.
I guess we need to stop bragging about our low cholesterol levels and start eating more high-fat foods.

Congratulations on your success and for making good choices. Many people will not get off the couch and use their aches and pains as excuses for not moving. I applaud anyone who uses them as a reason to get moving.