Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First of the year.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

First of the year.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-07, 02:37 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
First of the year.

Did my first ride tonight where I was going to need lights by the end of it. As I do not have a light mount for the Boreas (Different size bars) I took the Giant. First time I have ridden it in 6 weeks and what a difference. Heavier- More upright and I do miss those two extra gears on the Cassette.One thing I am pleased to state completely categorically- The San Marco "Aero" saddle is just as comfortable after a lay off as the Fizic Alliante.

Back to the ride and a few things I forgot from last year. First of all- change the lens in your glasses as a Dark lens- even with a Good light shining is still almost a complete blackout at night. I had to ride without glasses and there are still plenty of flies and midges about at night. Set your lights up so you can see- without blinding the cars coming towards you. Perhaps I should put the second lamp on to use in traffic areas and not use the Searchlight. And if you are using a powerfull lamp with L Ion batteries- They will affect your computer so don't mount them side by side. I worked hard tonight and only attained a top speed of 9 mph and an average speed of 4.7 mph. I know I went faster than that as There were a couple of downhills that even with the brakes on- I get to 20 mph.

Other than the things I forgot- It was a good ride. The giant still works but I may have to set it up to the same ride position as the Boreas. That will mean lowering the bars by a good couple of inches. Still got a few things to sort though. That helmet lamp has to go on and as I cracked the spare helmet- You may even see me with a helmet without a peak on. That will be a first. I will have to dig out the Polar wind shield as it got cold when the Sun went down and the pertex has no warmth to it.

Just can't wait for the winter evenings when the rain will come with the cold so I can start wearing the Goretex again. At least that will improve my speed to get the ride over with sooner.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-15-07, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Just can't wait for the winter evenings when the rain will come with the cold so I can start wearing the Goretex again. At least that will improve my speed to get the ride over with sooner.

No! Say it ain't so.
Old 08-15-07, 07:16 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good points, stapfam. My designated evening sunglasses have photochromic amber lenses, so they work well in not-really-bright evening light, then turn clear for night riding.
Old 08-15-07, 07:19 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
I don't look forward to riding in the cold at all! It takes much longer to get dressed for winter riding

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 08-15-07, 07:37 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I noticed the sun setting earlier a couple of nights ago. That always makes me feel some panic, as I know my time to do the stuff I wanted to get done this year is running out.
Old 08-16-07, 06:31 PM

Bikes: 80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Suddenly this week I've needed to light up for the morning commute, I hope its just the rainy weather, its to soon to have to light up and put on all those dratted layers as I dodge the schoolbus's ratsafratsen! That means I need to get my class two pumpkin suit resewn so I can wear it over the pack...I only wear it so the wife can sue the life out of the moron who runs me over...we have had three cyclists killed by cars here this season the latest yesterday, "of course" it was her fault since there was fog and God forbid anyone slowed down and paid attention on the first day of school to anything as trivial as a human life...
Old 08-16-07, 06:58 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
I don't look forward to riding in the cold at all! It takes much longer to get dressed for winter riding
Exactly! Today I rode an extra 15 miles (must train for century) and a cold front/rain snuck up on me before I turned back towards work. It was still in the high 70's, though and no problem. Of course I had my new modern bike w/o fenders.

At least have some winter SPD compatible MTB goretex boots now.