Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Drop Bars/flat Bars/other?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Please choose 1 response: DROPS OR FLAT BARS OR OTHER
On al least one roadie, I have changed from drops to flats
6.82%
On al least one roadie, I have changed from flats to drops
13.64%
On al least one roadie, I have always used a flat bar
7.95%
On al least one roadie, I have always used a drop bar
68.18%
On al least one roadie, I have changed to another type bar (please state below)
1.14%
On al least one roadie, I have done some other combination?? (please explain below) Thanks
2.27%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Drop Bars/flat Bars/other?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-07, 08:51 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Please consider this as constructive criticism, not a whine or attack.

The poll hasn't really tested that hypothesis, imho. I would think that most of the movement from one type of handlebar to another happens at the point of purchase, by buying a bike with the new setup, rather than by changing an existing bike. I think that someone who replaced a flat bar hybrid bike with a drop bar road bike would probably vote "On at least one roadie, I have always used a drop bar". As a rider, he went from flat bar to drop bar. But the poll puts him in a "no change" category since he didn't modify a bike.
I agree. I rode road bikes in the past, but may not be able to now, so my choice in bikes has changed, not the bars on the particular bike I own. But this is not an attack either -- I enjoyed your poll. :-)
Old 08-31-07, 08:59 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Please consider this as constructive criticism, not a whine or attack.

The poll hasn't really tested that hypothesis, imho. I would think that most of the movement from one type of handlebar to another happens at the point of purchase, by buying a bike with the new setup, rather than by changing an existing bike. I think that someone who replaced a flat bar hybrid bike with a drop bar road bike would probably vote "On at least one roadie, I have always used a drop bar". As a rider, he went from flat bar to drop bar. But the poll puts him in a "no change" category since he didn't modify a bike.
+1 I have modified my gym workout to include more stretching and core strength to accomdate lower riding positions at increased power and I am riding more in the drops. I have a new TT bike on the way. Does that mean the trend is to lower riding positions? How many riders have clip-on aerobars on their road bikes? I do on the tandem. And by the way. it is very comfy to ride on the aerobars on long rides to get a break. If someone has a flexibility problem, some physical limitation or personal preference, then yes, we modify equipment in the sport of choice to accomodate the issue. But that can happen at any time and at any age. Remember 50 is the the new 30.
Old 08-31-07, 10:22 AM

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
""The poll hasn't really tested that hypothesis, imho. I would think that most of the movement from one type of handlebar to another happens at the point of purchase, by buying a bike with the new setup, rather than by changing an existing bike.""

+1 While we say "most of the people on this forum", there is no mention of including bikes other than rodies or bents. "most of the people on this forum" may in fact primarily use a road bike, but we haven't established that. Also I would think a bar change of drop to flat or flat to drop would probably only happen with a road bike. ergo hybrid, comfort, MTB and bents would have no input. Would think you would get more accurate results regards the hypothesis if you asked what type of bike handle bars do you prefer? If you have both, which do you ride the most? If you could change what you have, would you? Not whining, just bored and too humid to ride. Prefer my dew point below 62 degrees.
Old 08-31-07, 11:39 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know about you, but I'm going out for pie.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 08-31-07, 11:56 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I don't know about you, but I'm going out for pie.
What is the definition of "pie?"
Old 08-31-07, 12:03 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not going to narrow my options by defining it.

It is like, "I'm going out for a ride."

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 08-31-07, 12:20 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by guybierhaus
""The poll hasn't really tested that hypothesis, imho. I would think that most of the movement from one type of handlebar to another happens at the point of purchase, by buying a bike with the new setup, rather than by changing an existing bike.""

Also I would think a bar change of drop to flat or flat to drop would probably only happen with a road bike. ergo hybrid, comfort, MTB and bents would have no input.
Actually, my response was based on changing a flat bar MTB into a drop bar road bike.

BTW, go ride in the humidity. You'll sweat. You'll shower. Life will go on.
Old 08-31-07, 12:21 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I'm not going to narrow my options by defining it.

It is like, "I'm going out for a ride."
Who are you and what have you done with Tom?
Old 08-31-07, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
When I ride the train to work, each Bicycle Car has 3-5 drop bar bikes in it, and the rest are flat bar.