Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Poll Should DIgital Gee Ride a Century (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/342948-poll-should-digital-gee-ride-century.html)

howsteepisit 09-12-07 09:50 AM

Poll Should DIgital Gee Ride a Century

In light of the recent revelation the Digital Gee has now surpassed 5000 miles, should he be required to complete a true century ride?

Digital Gee 09-12-07 10:01 AM

I've already ridden fifty centuries! :D

NotAsFat 09-12-07 10:38 AM

If you have 5000 miles in, you ought to have a sufficient base to work up to a century. You should work up to a 70-80 mile ride a week or two before the event, and take it easy the week of the event. Take a break every 25-30 miles. Keep fed and hydrated, and a century isn't too bad.

jcm 09-12-07 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 5256531)
I've already ridden fifty centuries! :D

Pipe down, DG! We're discussing important plans for your development, and we don't need any advice from you. Go over there and sit quietly. There's a good fellow...

bkaapcke 09-12-07 11:03 AM

If he does, he should run it by his doctor first. bk

maddmaxx 09-12-07 11:09 AM

I cant in good faith vote to require anyone to do anything. That comes too close to politics for our new mild mannered moderatorless forum.

Artkansas 09-12-07 11:12 AM

Only if he wants to.

Tom Bombadil 09-12-07 12:05 PM

I'm voting no, because I would hate to see the universe ripped apart.

BlazingPedals 09-12-07 12:33 PM

He should do it now, before the white paint on his bike fades and becomes useless as a placeb... er, I mean speed enhancer.

Jet Travis 09-12-07 01:04 PM

DeeGee, I think you should get a remote-controlled model sailboat, buy a sea captain's hat, and spend your time plying the high seas of your local goldfish pond. In the meantime, send me your bike. It'll free up some room in your house.

PS. Any time you need any other good advice, don't hesitate to holler.

stonecrd 09-12-07 01:06 PM

I say no, I'm part of the anti-century club, but I don't think he is too wimpy so I did not vote

Beverly 09-12-07 01:14 PM

I think DG should plan a century ride and invite the 50+ crowd. January would be a great time to leave Ohio:eek:

Pamestique 09-12-07 01:15 PM

Here's the thing about centuries - there really is no magic to them. If someone puts in the base miles, they can do a century. period.

So D-Gee you know you can do it if you want so why bother?

Digital Gee 09-12-07 01:17 PM

Just so the group will have more information to work with:

I've done several (not many, but several) metrics and 50+ rides. I can make this distance and it does wipe me out. I do recall when reaching about 50 miles that the thought of ANOTHER fifty miles is overwhelming. After a metric, it's hard enough to imagine going 70. But I think my next long ride will aim for 80, be happy if I pass 70, and be satisfied if I come away with nothing more than a metric.

Or maybe I just need a new bike? :D

Tom Bombadil 09-12-07 01:28 PM

I think he should ride 99 miles and then stop. Just to prove that he could do it if he wanted, but it really isn't that important to him.

I once did the equivalent in a high school typing class. I didn't get along with the teacher for various reasons, most notably that I didn't put much of a priority on the class but was forced to take it. If you typed so many words per minute and were under a certain number of typos, then you qualified to get a lapel pin. But to get it you had to raise your hands right after the 5 minute typing exercises, so that she could verify your achievement. I barely missed it a few times, and then one day I easily exceeded it. But I didn't raise my hand, I simply turned it in with everyone else.

She came up to me the next day, with this look of concern on her face, and said, 'I checked your paper last night and you qualified for your typing pin. But you didn't raise your hand yesterday for me to check it. Didn't you know you had to tell me then?' Yes, I knew. 'But now you won't get your pin!' That's okay because I don't want one. She stood there for a second, not knowing how to react, while my buddies sitting next to me were biting their lips and dying from not laughing.

I qualified two more times before the class ended, but just turned in my paper. She never said another word about it.

I doubt I ever, ever get that close to riding a century. But I would love to ride 99 and stop, even if it meant walking my bike that last mile to my car. Well maybe I would ride 9/10ths of that mile. No reason to have to walk so far.

stapfam 09-12-07 01:30 PM

Now DG. Before you decide-Yay or Nay- Just think of the weight loss that can be gained from a decent length of ride. 100 miles will not wear out anything vital But I reckon you could lose 1/4 oz off the chain and probably 1/2oz of off the tyres. That weight loss combined with the loosening up of the bearings should spur you on to go where a DG has never gone before.

If you do decide yes- it is far better if you can do it on an organised ride. Even better if you can do it with a riding partner. I have a century planned for October so Get the airfair and bring Ruby over and you can stay in the Bike shed for as long as you like. Oh And bring your long johns with you as it might be below 60 in the daytime.

howsteepisit 09-12-07 05:17 PM

Most remarkable, its an even vote. Would it help if I posited that DG would suffer greatly on his century attempt? OR more likely, he would finish the 100 hungry for more? HE has the bike, he has the experience...IS there anybody down there who could take him out for the ride?

cccorlew 09-12-07 05:37 PM

I think the whole question is: Does he want to? If so, he should. If he is not doing it due to fear, then we make him. But if he doesn't want to, then no.

Too sensible by far, right?

Louis 09-12-07 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 5258079)
I think he should ride 99 miles and then stop. Just to prove that he could do it if he wanted, but it really isn't that important to him.

I once did the equivalent in a high school typing class. I didn't get along with the teacher for various reasons, most notably that I didn't put much of a priority on the class but was forced to take it. If you typed so many words per minute and were under a certain number of typos, then you qualified to get a lapel pin. But to get it you had to raise your hands right after the 5 minute typing exercises, so that she could verify your achievement. I barely missed it a few times, and then one day I easily exceeded it. But I didn't raise my hand, I simply turned it in with everyone else.

She came up to me the next day, with this look of concern on her face, and said, 'I checked your paper last night and you qualified for your typing pin. But you didn't raise your hand yesterday for me to check it. Didn't you know you had to tell me then?' Yes, I knew. 'But now you won't get your pin!' That's okay because I don't want one. She stood there for a second, not knowing how to react, while my buddies sitting next to me were biting their lips and dying from not laughing.

I qualified two more times before the class ended, but just turned in my paper. She never said another word about it.

I doubt I ever, ever get that close to riding a century. But I would love to ride 99 and stop, even if it meant walking my bike that last mile to my car. Well maybe I would ride 9/10ths of that mile. No reason to have to walk so far.

Ah, nothing like a little street theater to get a point across.

Tom, you are a man after my own heart. :beer:

Louis 09-12-07 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 5257957)
I think DG should plan a century ride and invite the 50+ crowd. January would be a great time to leave Ohio:eek:

Save me a seat on the bus...in the rear, by the coolers.:p

robtown 09-12-07 06:16 PM

I think DG should ride a century leading his posse on his white bike.

I'm riding the Seagull century Columbus day weekend and could referee. We could wear the 50+ jerseys - remember them?

howsteepisit 09-12-07 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by cccorlew (Post 5259478)
I think the whole question is: Does he want to? If so, he should. If he is not doing it due to fear, then we make him. But if he doesn't want to, then no.

Yes too sensible. This thread was not started with the consent of DG. We will force him to our greater wisdom and will. Back in the day, (and that day was the early-mid 70's) we used to say that "brev camp" stamped on our racer components meant get tough or die. Well, it time for DG to BREV CAMP:p

dorosz 09-12-07 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by cccorlew (Post 5259478)

Since when does this forum do sensible???:roflmao:

Terrierman 09-12-07 08:07 PM

Where's the double century option?:D

guybierhaus 09-12-07 10:25 PM

I also voted no, but don't think he's too wimpy. I believe that first century should be an enjoyable ride. As he indicated, his endurance level is not there yet. Just to push on in butt pain and with noodle legs is no fun. Now if you want to put up some prize money to make the ride worth while, I'm good for a buck.