Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Overwhelmed and a little frustrated

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Overwhelmed and a little frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-07, 06:37 PM
rae
legs full of molasses

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have given me lots of great replies, thank you! I am a little short on time just now so I can't respond to all the comments that I would like (keep them coming, please!) but...

I will look at cyclocross bikes, hadn't thought of that.

If I just got a cheap or used bike now, I could start getting off the rail trails, maybe join some group rides and figure out more of what I would like in the long term (and maybe find that mentor). Less anxiety, for sure.

I did find a Jamis dealer and rode the Venture road bike and the Coda Sport. The Venture was nice but the Coda felt very comfortable and secure to me. Then tried the Specialized Sirrus, which was also nice but didn't impress as much as the Jamis. Then re-tried the Kona Dew, and could now tell that it is not as responsive as the coda, venture, or Sirrus, but for $200 less might be good enough!

The shopping adventure continues my next day off if it is not raining & I will look for some of the models you've mentioned. Thanks again, enjoy the week!

Rae
Old 10-14-07, 06:53 PM
rae
legs full of molasses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yen, The Cypress I tried out (I think) was an SX, a 2005 or 2006 (was this model replaced by the FCR3?). It also seemed just a tad too big, too far of a reach, but rode nicely. It was a 19", though, all other bikes I've tried so far are 17" or equivalent. The shop owner was trying really hard to sell me this one right now! I got the impression that he was a little too anxious to; not that there was anything wrong with the bike itself. The other Cypress I tried was the 2007--- way too upright.
Old 10-14-07, 07:52 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rae
If I just got a cheap or used bike now, I could start getting off the rail trails, maybe join some group rides and figure out more of what I would like in the long term (and maybe find that mentor). Less anxiety, for sure.

Rae
Good thought and alternative for now.
Old 10-15-07, 09:07 AM
Jack (of all) Trades

Bikes: Modified Sun tadpole

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll just mention recumbents...

A back injury made upright bikes near impossible (painful) for me to ride. I tried a recumbent and there's no pain at all. Since it's now fun to ride, I ride a lot.

Just a consideration. Recumbents aren't for everyone, but there's now a wide selection available, and if you're looking at a major purchase - and you're having neck problems - an hour or so to investigate them wouldn't hurt. You can find one to suit your needs.

Good luck with yor search.
Old 10-15-07, 10:29 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Time for a good used recumbent.
Old 10-15-07, 11:53 AM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on trying a 'bent. I had neck surgery 15 years ago, and can't keep my head in the position required by a regular bike. 'Bents have allowed me to enjoy riding again.
Old 10-15-07, 12:43 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Keep looking. I'm thinking that you're shopping for a bike when you should be shopping for a bike mentor.

My advice is to keep checking out all of the local bike shops. Tell whoever you talk to what you told us. If they look confused or sound uninterested, don't waste any more time with that person than is necessary. Honestly, I doubt they'll mind.

Once you find the right sales person, everything else will magically fall into line.
Excellent thought! You are really shopping for an expert, not a bike!!!

Road Fan
Old 10-15-07, 02:19 PM

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Since your location suggests Central Ohio you might try Baer Wheels on North High Street at Weber Rd. (Easy to reach from I-71, take the Weber road exit and head west). The owner of Bicycle One in Gahanna is another possibility.

The reason older bikes might make a good fit is that they were designed back when recreational riding was popular and bike purchasers were looking for a versatile general purpose bike. They are easy to get the handlebars level with the seat and the frames had clearances to accommodate decent size tires (28 - 32mm wide) and fenders.

Even if their bikes are expensive there is a lot of interesting reading on the Rivendell website www.rivbike.com that may apply to your decision.
Old 10-24-07, 01:02 PM
rae
legs full of molasses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope that I've not wasted $300, but I saw a used Trek Pilot 1.0 in my size & grabbed it. I had been in the Trek store the night before & although that is a model no longer available, the (I think) similar bikes in that size were pretty good. The description of the Pilot sounded like a good match. I'm waiting to pick it up hopefully tomorrow.

If it turns out that I don't like it, I will go with one of 2 options: one of the local Giant dealers had a very helpful sales clerk who was all about getting the right fit & right bike (OCR or FCR). I'd already been to a couple of Giant dealers in town & none showed such concern--or suggested other than the Cypress line. The other is the Jamis Coda (if it is still available, it was on year-end clearance) because, even though it was just a bit more than I wanted to spend, it felt right. I may regret not picking that one up when I had the chance.

Again, thanks all for the great advice; it all helped a lot to settle me down! I look forward to posting about my first ride on the Trek!

Rae
Old 10-24-07, 01:14 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I think the Trek Pilot and the Lemond Reno have the same geometry. Be careful. The Reno folks around here tend to get a bit fanatical.
Old 10-24-07, 01:16 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
I think the Trek Pilot and the Lemond Reno have the same geometry. Be careful. The Reno folks around here tend to get a bit fanatical.
But there are a lot of fanatical Treks folks here, too

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 10-24-07, 01:18 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rae
I hope that I've not wasted $300, but I saw a used Trek Pilot 1.0 in my size & grabbed it. I had been in the Trek store the night before & although that is a model no longer available, the (I think) similar bikes in that size were pretty good. The description of the Pilot sounded like a good match. I'm waiting to pick it up hopefully tomorrow.

Rae
Enjoy the ride! The Trek Pilot is a nice bike.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 10-24-07, 01:18 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Now the problem and the bills start coming in. Problem no.1 No pics yet. That is almost unforgivable unless you don't have a camera and then You have to find friends to take a pic and post for you- so a little bit of grace there. Then there is pie-Must admit we have been just a bad as you as No mention of Pie at all in your posting. And then the regrets. Should I have got this bike or that one or have I made a mistake.

You haven't made a mistake and in fact you have got a respectable bike. I won't even say starter bike so well done on your choice. So what kind of Gloves did you get? and have you decided on Bibs or shorts? and still waiting for a report on the first fall. As you haven't gone clipless yet- Or I presume you haven't- That can also be excused- but not for long.

Well done on the bike and happy riding.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-24-07, 01:47 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
But there are a lot of fanatical Treks folks here, too
Let alone the Specialized people...

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-30-07, 10:21 PM
rae
legs full of molasses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, just checking in to say I got my bike yesterday! I rode it around the block a few times when I got home with it & it felt pretty good! It is sooo much lighter than the bike I've been on, the seat seems perfect-- I will have to take it to a shop to have it gone over, the shifters didn't seem to be quite right and there are some adjustments that need to be made for fit. The seller said that he really had rarely ridden it & it does appear to be very lightly used.

Sorry, Stapfam, I actually don't have a digital camera but will work on a picture. The bike is all black except for the lettering (yes that is a slight flaw-- I saw some really pretty colors while shopping, in fact if I were buying on color alone it would have been that red Sirrus, or the periwinkle blue Kona).

but I did have some anticipatory pie to celebrate--homemade apple

Definitely I have to get some better looking gear to match this snazzy new bike. It might be insulted if I take it out dressed in my ripped (well, actually melted) hiking crops, fuzzy jacket and gardening gloves.