Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A treasured gift!!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A treasured gift!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-07, 04:54 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
A treasured gift!!!

After about 90 days of neglible rainfall plus extremely hot weather we're finally getting some moisture in the Charlotte area. We've gotten at least 1+ inches of good soaking rain today.....and hopefully we will have even more tomorrow. We're still way, way under where we need to be and if we don't continue to get rain we could be headed towards emergency conditions. I frankly don't understand why we haven't already implemented more conservation measures because when the water storage is gone, it's gone.

I hope our good fortune reaches Georgia/Alabama and also the Southern Ca area as well. Heck, I look forward to a really soaking ride in the rain if it sticks around long enough.

Old 10-25-07, 05:31 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to see you're finally getting some much needed rain. Too bad I couldn't send some of the excess we've have the past few days It pourded Monday night....ride cancelled. It rained and the winds howled Tuesday night.....ride cancelled. It's looking much better for the next few days. I want to get out there and find a few hills to try out the new cassette the shop installed for me tonight

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 10-25-07, 05:58 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friend and I were just talking about this last night. With all the incredible technology we have, how come someone has not thought about how the areas that get too much water can benefit areas that get little. For instance, the eastern seaboard, with the exception of GA, has been satuated. How come no one has come up with a pipeline, aqua duct or someway to divert the excess water to GA? Same with the Middle states to the West and Southwest? I figure someone needs to invent this gigantic umbrella and plant it say in Kansas. When it starts raining we open the umbrella and water then rolls off towards the East coast and the west coast and the South. Huh? what do you think?

Just askin'
Old 10-25-07, 07:48 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny how it works. We'd had drought for three years or so, but had one of our rainiest years ever this year.
Old 10-25-07, 07:59 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BCIpam
A friend and I were just talking about this last night. With all the incredible technology we have, how come someone has not thought about how the areas that get too much water can benefit areas that get little. For instance, the eastern seaboard, with the exception of GA, has been satuated. How come no one has come up with a pipeline, aqua duct or someway to divert the excess water to GA? Same with the Middle states to the West and Southwest? I figure someone needs to invent this gigantic umbrella and plant it say in Kansas. When it starts raining we open the umbrella and water then rolls off towards the East coast and the west coast and the South. Huh? what do you think?

Just askin'
I was watching this report what it costs in terms of energy to pump water to LA in CA.
In other words: We would solve one problem (distribution of water) and create a new one (lack of cheap energy).
Many ills of this world could be cured with cheap renewable and clean energy. Our great brains are working on that but no immediate breakthrough in sight.
Old 10-26-07, 01:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friend and I were just talking about this last night.
This is how the trouble usually starts...

How come no one has come up with a pipeline, aqua duct or someway to divert the excess water?
I think the Romans tried that, and they only lasted about 3000 years. Not worth the investment, really.

I figure someone needs to invent this gigantic umbrella ...
Who are you dating, Willie Wonka???

what do you think?
Don't go there! This isn't the place to ask what people are thinking!

Last edited by Big Paulie; 10-26-07 at 02:19 AM.
Old 10-26-07, 03:05 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts

Just askin'
One word.................taxes!
Old 10-26-07, 05:38 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
We've been in drought conditions in Kentucky also, with the southern part worse than the rest. But the 8" of rain we've rec'd Mon-Thurs has helped much. Too late for many of the crops, but the farmers will most likely get a winter wheat harvest. My neighbor's husband works in Charlotte and said it was worse there than here. Glad to see some rain for a change (been wanting to get the mtn.bike out, but I don't mind waiting if it's because of rain!). Does anyone else remember when they were experimenting with "seeding" the clouds to try to produce rain (way back when).
Old 10-26-07, 05:50 AM
Bikin' and Hikin'

Bikes: Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We still haven't had much rain over here in Northeast Tennessee, maybe a quarter of an inch this week. We seem to be in a dry pocket with heavier rainfall all around! I did call off my ride on the eastern shore of Virginia this weekend because of the 80% rainfall prediction.
Old 10-26-07, 09:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
We've been in drought conditions in Kentucky also, with the southern part worse than the rest. But the 8" of rain we've rec'd Mon-Thurs has helped much. Too late for many of the crops, but the farmers will most likely get a winter wheat harvest. My neighbor's husband works in Charlotte and said it was worse there than here. Glad to see some rain for a change (been wanting to get the mtn.bike out, but I don't mind waiting if it's because of rain!). Does anyone else remember when they were experimenting with "seeding" the clouds to try to produce rain (way back when).
I live in Kentucky as well - up in the very northern point just opposite Cincinnati, Ohio - and we were down almost 9" from our usual rainfall. I have one 50 or 60 foot tall pine tree in my back yard that's dead, and a smaller one in my front yard that's just about 25% browned out. Gonna loose that one too.

There are big patches in my yard that are down to bare dirt.

About a month ago we bought some mixed fescue seed and spread it over the bald spots and raked it in. A few days ago we got about 7" of rain. That new fescue is now up about 1/4"!

At least we didn't burn much gas in the Cub Cadet this summer mowing the grass!
Old 10-26-07, 01:50 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
I was watching this report what it costs in terms of energy to pump water to LA in CA.
In other words: We would solve one problem (distribution of water) and create a new one (lack of cheap energy).
Many ills of this world could be cured with cheap renewable and clean energy. Our great brains are working on that but no immediate breakthrough in sight.
Perhaps you ought to get the Chinese to take on the contract

They seem to do everything far cheaper than the rest of the world- but I think their would be a problem with lead in the water.

On the pumping of water to different areas- We have had this thought in the UK. Scotland has an abundance of fresh clean water and Britain is only 600 miles from top to bottom. It should be feasible to to get water pumped to whichever part of the UK needed it but Financial restraints will not allow it.- No sorry- The various water companies will not do it as it will take money from the shareholders dividends- so it will not be done.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-27-07, 06:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It just started raining in the San Fernando Valley...talk about a gift from above!!!!
Old 10-27-07, 07:47 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Just askin'
Ya want ironic? I live 1.5 miles away from the shores of Lake Ontario. I believe The Great Lakes Basin holds approx. 75% of the Earth's fresh water supply yet every time we experience some dry seasons everyone in this part of the country starts complaining about how dry it is and how we need rain...and we've got billions of gallons of it right out the door !!!!! The Romans built aquaducts to transport water throughout their world...we Americans gripe because it's not raining enough!!!!
Now I'm not proposing to send water from the Great Lakes all over the country, but we could at least pipe it throught the Great Lakes Watershed.
Old 10-27-07, 08:15 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
Seattle - we would love to export you dry guys a few rainy days now in exchange a few sunny winter days. Not too many just a few.