Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cool Weather Dress for Success

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-07, 07:06 AM
Yes it is a paradox

Bikes: Trek, Orbea,Specilized

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The following cool weather riding dressing ideals come from pro rider Catharine Carrol. I find they work well for me.

A couple of dressing strategies for different temperature ranges:

60’s: A) Light base layer, short sleeve jersey, shorts, arm warmers and/or knee warmers

50’s: A) Light base layer, short sleeve jersey, shorts, arm warmers and a vest OR lightweight wind jacket, knee warmers, Lycra shoe covers, light full finger gloves

B) Light base layer, long sleeve jersey, shorts, knee warmers, Lycra shoe covers, lighter full finger glove

40’s: A) Base layer, long sleeve jersey, wind vest, leg warmers, shoe covers with wind block, fleece gloves

B) Base layer, jacket with wind block, knickers, shoe covers with wind block, fleece gloves

30’s: A)Long sleeve base layer, long sleeve jersey, jacket, shorts with tights over, neoprene booties, insulated full finger gloves

B) Long sleeve base layer, jacket with wind block, wind block tights, neoprene booties, insulated full finger gloves
Old 11-02-07, 07:30 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I'll be starting below 40F and ending above 50F What is not considerd in the info above is the wind factor, which makes an incredible difference. Predicted for today:

This shows the wind to be about 8 mph, a factor to be considered.

short sleeved jersey, long-sleeved jersey with hood, bibs, tights, wind breaker, long-fingered gloves, sandals with double socks, backpack to shed stuff into as needed.
Old 11-02-07, 09:28 AM
Yes it is a paradox

Bikes: Trek, Orbea,Specilized

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actual the wind factor is included to some extent. The speed of the rider creates a greater wind chill if the speed being rode is greater than the actual wind speed.
Old 11-02-07, 11:40 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SlowSpinner
Actual the wind factor is included to some extent. The speed of the rider creates a greater wind chill if the speed being rode is greater than the actual wind speed.
I would think it depends on which direction one is riding.

I started out at 35F, ended 1.5 hours later at 39F and was perfectly warm and happy. The temperature did not increase as forecasted, and the wind was up to 10 mph.
Old 11-02-07, 12:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No mention of hat or ear warmers/ band...

I must run selectively warm. Glove liners under reg bike gloves at 40's, heavier fleece at 30's.

Light wool cap at 40's

Lightweight wool LS jersey for 50's and 40's, add windblock jacket for downhill start and then decide after rolling and pedaling a bit. Silk t-shirt for 50's down if I'm stuck with poly jersey.

Tights if day is never going above 60. Thinking about lycra knickers for the low 60's -50's days.

I usually use light wool socks, then heavier at low 50's.

I have a 1 to 1.5 downhill run from house depending on direction. ~5% grade-always nice to think about when pushing hard about 2/3 of the way into a longer ride.....
Old 11-02-07, 01:00 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlowSpinner
The following cool weather riding dressing ideals come from pro rider Catharine Carrol. I find they work well for me.

A couple of dressing strategies for different temperature ranges:

60’s: A) Light base layer, short sleeve jersey, shorts, arm warmers and/or knee warmers

50’s: A) Light base layer, short sleeve jersey, shorts, arm warmers and a vest OR lightweight wind jacket, knee warmers, Lycra shoe covers, light full finger gloves

B) Light base layer, long sleeve jersey, shorts, knee warmers, Lycra shoe covers, lighter full finger glove

40’s: A) Base layer, long sleeve jersey, wind vest, leg warmers, shoe covers with wind block, fleece gloves

B) Base layer, jacket with wind block, knickers, shoe covers with wind block, fleece gloves

30’s: A)Long sleeve base layer, long sleeve jersey, jacket, shorts with tights over, neoprene booties, insulated full finger gloves

B) Long sleeve base layer, jacket with wind block, wind block tights, neoprene booties, insulated full finger gloves
Could you be more specific about base layers? What are they made of?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 11-02-07, 02:07 PM

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Wool. From now through spring you can't go wrong with lots of wool items and a big saddlebag to carry what you might need or what you've just taken off. Those black wool tights that Rivendell sells are perfect over bike shorts down to 30 degrees. When things get really cold I wear thicker wool socks and bigger shoes and thicker wool mittens; keeping your appendages warm helps keep your core warm without lots of extra layers on your torso.
Old 11-02-07, 04:04 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Could you be more specific about base layers? What are they made of?
I use Craft short sleeve.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...ODE=&BRAND.ID=
Old 11-02-07, 05:28 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Timely post. Got the call again tonight - lets go out for a fast 15 at 7:30 AM tomorrow. Checked the weather for 7:30 AM - 31 degrees. I agree with what was suggested by the OP except I don't have neoprene booties but I will wear two layers of fleece socks but wrap the pair in a baggie to block the wind. Otherwise - everything else agrees with the post. I will need to crank up the hot tub tomorrow if these keeps up. I am sure Sunday it will be 35 miles.
Old 11-02-07, 06:33 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Ditto, or PI. I got a couple of pairs of ss PI shirts at PI outlet in CO last winter. If I get there again this season, I'll pick up a few more things (including another pair of PI knickers - nice).
Old 11-02-07, 06:58 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I knew when you stated talking about baselayers, arm and knee warmers in the 60s you were from the south.

Knock 15 to 20° off each of your categories and that's pretty much what I wear.
Old 11-02-07, 09:18 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm with tsl.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 11-02-07, 09:42 PM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will add that for me, it makes a difference whether it is cloudy or sunny. Black shorts/tights on a cool/cold sunny day seem much warmer than on a cool/cold cloudy day.
Old 11-03-07, 06:45 AM

Bikes: '06 Raleigh Cadent road bike,'05 Trek 7200 hybrid,' 83 Schwinn Le Tour SS conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone have a recommendation for shoe covers/booties that can be worn with platform pedals? I ride my beater bike alot in the Winter and it has platforms. It looks like most shoe covers are made for cleats.
Old 11-03-07, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Lion Steve
Does anyone have a recommendation for shoe covers/booties that can be worn with platform pedals? I ride my beater bike alot in the Winter and it has platforms. It looks like most shoe covers are made for cleats.
I wear Totes neoprene overshoes over my dress shoes. Be sure and get the high top kind -- the low top ones will fill with water.

Paul
Old 11-03-07, 07:53 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I put away my brighter colors and bring out the Browns and Greens untill Easter. No sandals during snowy weather.
Old 11-03-07, 09:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Silk is very effective for a base layer, lasts forever, doesn't build up body oder, works great under wool or poly.

REI has some Craft in the closeout store. Noticed that while checking to see if they still carry silk; which they do.
Old 11-03-07, 10:15 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I would think it depends on which direction one is riding.

I started out at 35F, ended 1.5 hours later at 39F and was perfectly warm and happy. The temperature did not increase as forecasted, and the wind was up to 10 mph.
DNVR - when I come to your neck of the woods and ski I can get away with one less layer for the same temps as here in the NE. The humidity here when it is cold is a major factor both in the amount of extra cooling effect plus the lower amount of wicking so you tend to carry more moisture in your layers which reduces the insulation.

I went out this AM at 7:30 again, it was 31 degrees. I had a thin micro fleece undershirt, a long sleeve bike jersey and a windstopper fleece jacket. A fleece skull cap under the helmet, a fleece long underwear pant under the full length spandex bike pants and two pairs of fleece socks, also wore full fingered gloves. The only thing that got a little chilled were my toes, I really need show covers. We did a moderately fast 20 miles with some climbing, I was not too hot or too cold - just right. Tomorrow we will try to knock of 30 miles, it will be about the same temp and I will wear the same arrangement as it worked so well.

Although I have never been a cold weather rider - never in all my previous biking seasons (except when I was a kid - under 14 yrs old) did I ever bike this late into the season, I would have long since hung the bike up until spring. You guys - plus my local riding buddies have inspired me to keep going, I am actually enjoying it - all except for the excessively runny nose, snot on the top tube is not a pretty sight...