Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Computer readings

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Computer readings

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-07, 08:51 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Computer readings

My wireless cateye gave me all kinds of different reading when I got home today and I was wondering if my HRM was causing this or is it just the nature of wireless computers. If it is my HRM that's causing this what can I do about it, besides not wearing it. I wore it before and didn't have any problems with it, I thought it could be caused by having the watch hand to close to the computer.
I was getting the speed ok, but when I looked at the average it was 2mph. Also when I looked at distance it was it was 2 miles and the time was something like 10 minutes. The ride was 30 miles which it showed in the B mood, which should have been in the A mood .Any thoughts or replys are appreciated.
Old 11-04-07, 08:59 PM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How old are the batteries? Did you have any other electronic gear operating like an I-pod or a CD player? Were you near any power lines? When I have had extreme errors like that it is usual that the sensor is too far from the wheel magnet. Check that. About the Mode error, you may want to haul out the manual (you did save it?) and reset the system.
Old 11-04-07, 09:09 PM

Thanks Ken, but yes the batteries should be ok, the computer is only about month old. Today was the first time I had my hands on the flat part of the bars and that's what made me think that the HRM was screwing it up. I have the manual and I didn't change anything, but I checked all the settings and everything was right on. Do you think I should just go ahead and reset it?
Old 11-04-07, 09:19 PM

I just checked out the Cateye web site and they say you can't use their wireless computer with any other electronics, like a HRM.
Old 11-04-07, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Cateye told me the first indication of interference is the Max Speed is way off. Try riding the same route without your HRM and see what happens. It can be powerlines, another wireless nearby, or your HRM. I love the way the new Cateye directions sheet doesn't tell us how to set it up, just has pictures that I can't understand.
Old 11-05-07, 05:19 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Sport road Haro Mountain bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same problem with my cateye double wireless. It gave me a scare at first, the cateye was also interfering with the HRM and I had readings over 200. I stopped using the HRM and the cateye seems accurate since.
Old 11-05-07, 12:37 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A bit off topic -- I frequently get HRM readings over 200 bpm when I first start my ride. Once I generate a little perspiration it creates good conduction to the chest strap and the reading is normal. I use a wired computer so no interference problems there.
Old 11-05-07, 01:37 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hi George
Me and electronics things do not get on together but I have a wireless Cateye and a heart monitor that is also a speedometer. Have the sensors on Each side of the fork worked by their own Magnet. The cateys wireless works fine on its own and the Polar CS300 HM works well on its own so I expected to have problems when I used them both at the same time. I have the Cateye head mounted on the bar stem and the HM to the right on the bars. So Far absolutely no problems. That is on Boreas.

Now the Giant that just uses the Cateye Wireless computer has been working fine. Sunday it gave erratic readings but most of the time NO reading. As I found out- If I held the Head closer to the Sensor- It worked fine so it looks as though One of the batteries is giving up. Only changed them at the start of the year so Its me and electronics again.

Spike Milligan