Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What not to eat while riding

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-07, 06:54 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I usually don't have problems with food while riding but on the club tour last weekend I found one I'll never eat again while on the bike. We stopped at a restaurant for lunch and one of their specialties was corn bread and beans. I probably would have been okay if I hadn't used the small serving of chopped onions they served with it It was 28 miles from the restaurant to our cars and I kept eating those onions with every turn of the crank. Never again......

Today I found another food that seems to have the same effect.....wasabi peanuts! I ate Tums like M&M's before the ride tonight but nothing could quiet those peanuts. Now I have two foods that don't mix with biking. Anyone have foods that make it almost impossible to ride after eating them?

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-13-07, 07:00 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had a McDonalds quarter pounder w/cheese and fries for lunch one day. The ride home dragged as if both tires were flat.
Old 11-13-07, 07:03 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by robtown
I had a McDonalds quarter pounder w/cheese and fries for lunch one day. The ride home dragged as if both tires were flat.
And you committed this foolishness because ...

Richard
Old 11-13-07, 07:03 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Raw onions and wasabi are two that I can't handle. I have an allergy to raw onions and even one bite of them gives me heartburn.

Sometimes greasy foods give me problems, but not always. I have eaten large hamburgers, and at other times 2 slices of pizza, in the middle of 25+ mile rides without any problems.

I can't handle hardly anything that is spicy hot. There are lots of spices that I love, like garlic, freshly ground black pepper, ginger, curry, etc. But my tongue is extremely sensitive to hot spices. What is mild to someone else can set my mouth on fire. Others think that I can't handle the heat that they can barely detect, but what is really happening is that they might barely detect it, but it is a 5-alarm fire in my mouth. This has gotten progressively worse over the past 5 years or so. My wife recently made 4 quarts of corn chowder and put 1 jalapeno in it, and I could barely eat it.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 11-14-07 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-13-07, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Eating crap on a ride and not getting sick is all about practice. All Junk all the time or the sudden influx of new poisons will mess you up.
Old 11-13-07, 07:26 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Anything spicy........how about Mexican food including Taos Woman's "Christmas Salsas" in New Mexico??

Green Peppers do me in......

I've even found that I can tolerate some Cliff Bars better than others.........the ones with expiration dates prior to 2000 really seem to irritate my stomach.......
Old 11-13-07, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I sometimes take a Zantac 150 before a ride to prevent heartburn.

Eating fruit at rest stops will screw up my stomach. I prefer energy bars, PBJ, cookies, candy bars, etc. to carry me through a long ride.
Old 11-13-07, 07:29 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, y'all are bolder than me. I get most of my riding carbs from my maltodextrin drink, and the boldest thing I've eaten in the middle of a ride was a BMT sandwich from Subway. Usually, it's just bananas and granola bars.
Old 11-13-07, 07:42 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I've been known to eat most anything during a ride, but now I am becoming a little more picky. I passed on the hot dogs offered at one rest stop during the century I did Saturday.
Old 11-13-07, 07:53 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
In my much younger and stupid days I went on a fast ride to "The Cheese Factory" and had cheese and wine for lunch.

It was a long, slow, lonely ride home.
Old 11-13-07, 07:57 PM
Kamek

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A vegetable sandwich from Subway is about the easiest thing for me to eat during or before a ride. I avoid fatty foods like the plague on the bike. Sometimes I will take a Pepcid to prevent stomach problems before riding if I'm going to be cranking hard or riding for a long time.
Old 11-13-07, 08:05 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I ate a lot at lunch in Italy and got back on the bike. The biggest lunch was risotto and wild boar in chocolate sauce. I was never sick but warming up the engine after lunch seemed to take a little longer. On normal rides, I eat very little and prefer water and protein bars.
Old 11-13-07, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
The greasy hamburger and chocolate malt I ate, mid-ride just prior to a 9.5 mile climb, sat in my stomach, gave me no energy, and made me feel as if I had swallowed a sack of rusty bottom brackets. Then there was the grilled chicken sandwich at a fast food place during a 73-mile ride...
Old 11-13-07, 09:05 PM
Roadkill

Bikes: 2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The one food I can't eat before riding is tuna. They never seem to lose the instinct to swim upstream, even after being in a tin can for a while. And almost nothing else ever bothers me.
Old 11-13-07, 09:36 PM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bean dip. I was riding across the Mojave Desert (Las Vegas to LA) and found that the wife had packed bean dip for me thinking it was an efficient, concentrated food. The stuff was so salty I couldn't choke it down.
Old 11-13-07, 09:37 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm laughing as I read what some people are eating. I can't imagine putting down fried meat, wild boar (!), greasy pizza, or jalapenos......and then riding off. I stick with fruit for its moisture and mild sweetness, cookies and other baked items (PIE!), and the usual energy stuff. And.......I'd ride a 5 hour century if I knew there was a barrel of Nutela at the end.
Old 11-13-07, 09:55 PM

Bikes: S Works Tarmac, Giant Anthem 1, Motiv "Smoothie" on Kurt Kinetic.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it's interesting what people are able to eat before or during rides. I should not ride if I drink milk without taking Lactaid. I guess ice cream would fit in that category for me.
Old 11-14-07, 12:12 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Granola bars- About the only thing I will never try again and they go on the same list as Powerbars in the uneatable stakes.

I eat anything I fancy on a ride- but after about 6 hours- It has to be moist so it does not stick anywhere. Pasta- Creamed rice- Gateaux. I don't ever fancy junk food till after a ride and then it has to be good quality junk food. Like KFC and not McD's

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 11-14-07 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 12:21 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
And you committed this foolishness because ...

Richard
What can I say, I was weak....
Old 11-14-07, 12:29 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I ate a lot at lunch in Italy and got back on the bike. The biggest lunch was risotto and wild boar in chocolate sauce.
I had wild boar stew (Chingiale) for lunch on my bike tour of Tuscany. It was great and didn't spoil the afternoon ride at all. But then, I would like most of the things people have mentioned - just not in huge volumes.
Old 11-14-07, 02:02 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On one 40 mile ride this past summer, I stopped at the 20 mile mark to eat a BBQ Pork sandwich, a piece of cherry pie, and washed it down with a glass of milk. No problems at all on the 2nd 20 miles.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 11-15-07 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-14-07, 02:50 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
I usually don't have problems with food while riding but on the club tour last weekend I found one I'll never eat again while on the bike. We stopped at a restaurant for lunch and one of their specialties was corn bread and beans. I probably would have been okay if I hadn't used the small serving of chopped onions they served with it It was 28 miles from the restaurant to our cars and I kept eating those onions with every turn of the crank. Never again......

Today I found another food that seems to have the same effect.....wasabi peanuts! I ate Tums like M&M's before the ride tonight but nothing could quiet those peanuts. Now I have two foods that don't mix with biking. Anyone have foods that make it almost impossible to ride after eating them?
I found a burger, fries, and two microbrews was too much, but I think it was mainly bloat, not indigestion. Once I got home, I was fine. Sure took a long time, tho, at 5 mph!

Road Fan
Old 11-14-07, 03:02 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can remember in the olden days, when I had to walk 20 miles to school, in the blowing snow... oK teasing, but when I was younger, I could eat anything. We used to routinely ride out to this hamburger joint have burgers or BLTs, french fries and shakes and I would be good to ride home.

As I get older, my system gets more and more fragile and pretty much I am afraid to eat on a ride. I have stuff, like a Balance Bar or a Peanut Butter sandwich (no jelly as the sugar upsets my stomach), but now I have to wait until after the ride to eat well.

Last year a group of us rode from Ventura to Ojai. It was a lovely ride and we had this great lunch in Ojai. Not 2 minutes on the bike I knew I was in trouble. I think I averaged over 25 mph (it was slightly downhill) the whole 20 miles back to Ventura looking for a restroom. I did not feel so well.

So now, no eating if I need to sit on a bike for any time. I have to stick with the stuff I know won't upset my stomach. It sucks getting old I tell ya!
Old 11-14-07, 03:04 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
I don't ever fancy junk food till after a ride and then it has to be good quality junk food. Like KFC and not McD's
Only in England is KFC considered to be good quality food...
Old 11-14-07, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j
Then there was the grilled chicken sandwich at a fast food place during a 73-mile ride...
Amen to that one. And NO DAIRY for me. I am likely as not to see anything dairy again if I am in exertion mode.

Simple bland easily digested in small quantities, especially if it is hot. Bananas work real real good, so does PBJ on whole wheat. high protein or high fat = high discomfort

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.