Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

going to try off road

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

going to try off road

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-07, 08:13 PM

Bikes: Raleigh SC30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
going to try off road

Today I went hiking at Bobcat Ridge. It is a new area that opened up two new loops, one for bikes/hiking & the other for horses/hiking.

There are 3 loops & one is 4 miles but it is classified as beginners for mountain bikers so after hiking it today I thought to myself; self I think it would be fun to give mountain biking a try so I'm taking my hybrid up there tomorrow since we supposes to have good weather.

I had a really nice mountain bike for two years but never took it off road, wasn't in good enough shape for one thing but I might have to walk part of this trail but I'll get-R-done that's for sure.

So anyone have any good advice?
Keep my weight to the back going down hill, don't use much front brake specially in the switchbacks.
Plan on taking my camelbak with spare tire, pump, patch kit & water & food.

After doing all the riding I did this summer & spending two weeks on the elliptical machine I can't believe I'm sore from my 5-6 mile hike today. After tomorrow there is a chance I'll be a hurting unit for work Monday.

It just feels so good to be able to get out to the mountains & spend a little time with mother nature.
Old 11-17-07, 08:19 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Downhill on a loose surface? Keep pedalling but ride your brakes to control the speed - this provides a lot more control than just coasting and using your brakes.

Lower your seat about an inch from road height.

Don't be ashamed to scream ... it'll encourage that poor soul who's too 'cool' to scream.

Richard
utter muggins at off road, feel free to contradict me, I might learn something
Old 11-17-07, 08:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The nice thing about this trail is it is wide most of the way, or at least in the meadows. About as wide as a sidewalk & pretty smooth since it hasn't been used a lot. Once you get into the trees & the uphill then it gets skinnier but I'm not afraid to get off & walk that's for sure.

I just want to see what it is like off road, I have friends that told me about this place & they go all the time. I think it is a lot more work then what you get out of it, I would much rather just hike.

Today the reason I went for the hike was just get used to my backpack & get ready for snow shoeing next month & now look what happened.
Old 11-17-07, 08:59 PM
Simulated Tough Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by w2brdbkr
So anyone have any good advice?
Keep my weight to the back going down hill, don't use much front brake specially in the switchbacks.
Plan on taking my camelbak with spare tire, pump, patch kit & water & food.
It just feels so good to be able to get out to the mountains & spend a little time with mother nature.
One thing (from experience): Take anything that sticks out or can fall off off 'Cause if you don't....
Old 11-17-07, 09:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobiker50
One thing (from experience): Take anything that sticks out or can fall off off 'Cause if you don't....
Thanks, I need to take off my lights, won't need them tomorrow during the day.
Old 11-18-07, 01:47 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobiker50
Good advice. Take every thing off the bike you do not need. Loose soil and mud will cause a grip problem so look ahead on the trail. Don't know your weight but to stop Snakebites- put about 10 psi extra in the tyres. Uphills put in a little less effort than you should to save energy for the steeper bits or where loose soil is. Extra speed required to get through as the bike will slow down. If having a grip problem on mud-look for bits of gravel or grass showing as this will give a bit of extra grip. Take the downhills carefully. Even if it does look smooth- there could be a root or hole or rock or Dog in the way that could hurt with no Suspension.

Start looking in the catalogues now for the Hardtail MTB as this sort of riding is addictive and to enjoy it more- You should have the right sort of bike. In the mean time- Just go and enjoy yourself. A ten mile offroad will feel like a 20 mile road ride in hilly country so don't plan for your usual 50 mile ride first time out.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-18-07, 05:08 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by w2brdbkr
The nice thing about this trail is it is wide most of the way, or at least in the meadows. About as wide as a sidewalk & pretty smooth since it hasn't been used a lot. Once you get into the trees & the uphill then it gets skinnier but I'm not afraid to get off & walk that's for sure.
I tried mountain biking for the first time this year and loved it. Just take it easy and don't be afraid to get off and walk through the more technical areas. Once you've mastered the basics you can come back and do the tougher parts

I didn't feel comfortable clipped in at the lower speeds so I used my dual sided pedals. There were several climbs where I felt being clipped in would have been good but I'll work on using the clipless pedals next spring.

Have fun!

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-18-07, 06:02 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Beverly gives good advice. Take it easy at first. As you become more familiar with this kind of riding and gain confidence, you can add more technical stuff. Platform pedals are good in the beginning. Later, when you are trying trickier maneuvers, you'll want to be clipped in as much for safety as for performance.

Remember to stand up slightly when going over bumps and obstacles. Use your arms and legs as shock absorbers. Hitting a bump while sitting on a bike without rear suspension is not good for handling or for your back. Keep your butt back so the front can float over obstacles.

Momentum is your friend. It is harder for ruts, roots and rocks to stop your wheel if it is rolling faster. I'm not saying go fast, just don't crawl.

And most important, don't look where you don't want to go. Your bike will tend to follow your eyes, so look at the clear way through, not the things you want to steer clear of.

Have fun!
Old 11-18-07, 07:51 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
My advice is stick to the asphalt..............just from my personal experience!!

Actually rails to trails are fine for me but if the wheels have to come off the ground it just ain't for me.
Old 11-18-07, 10:00 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I think we've just discovered Superman's kryptonite. (dirt)
Old 11-18-07, 03:13 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Don't tump over.
Old 11-18-07, 04:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'M BACK!!!!!& in one piece.
It ended up being easier then I thought it would be, I rode most of the trail in 2nd gear & then 1st on the hills. The trail is only a 4.5 mile loop & is marked as a beginner trail.
I had trouble on just one section, I was going up hill on a switchback corner & the front tire came off the ground so instead of going backwards & stopped & fell off the side of the bike. I didn't hit the ground, even held onto the bike. I did try & stand in a couple spots but then I would just spin my back tire. After a while I was getting the hang of it.

I used to ride a lot of motorcycles in my younger days, only thing on the motorcycle I could give it more gas but here my legs didn't want to go anymore.
The downhill was a lot of fun, now I want to take the service/power line road up to the top (1.8 miles) then ride the 5 mile trail back down.

Just trying to keep busy until the snow flies then it will be snow shoeing.