Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

WTB saddle on a road bike?......

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-23-07, 08:45 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Not crazy about the stock Bontrager saddle on the LeMond Reno. And yes, saddles are a very personal fit item. Just wondering if anyone has tried a WTB saddle on a road bike, and if they like it. I was thinking of one of the Speed V saddles. Don't like real narrow saddles, got to be at least 5.5" wide, even for my skinny butt!
Old 11-23-07, 08:52 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had one for a short time and I didn't care for it. As I recall it had a seam and I was bothered by that. I'm sure your going to hear a lot about saddles, but it's just one of those things, that you have to keep trying different ones until you connect, good luck.
Old 11-23-07, 12:32 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny thing about saddles is that they are not Funny. Most of them make me cry.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-23-07, 01:38 PM
tpelle

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When my LBS built my Surly LHT they put a Speed V on it. It was a great, comfortable saddle. I finally decided to see what all the fuss was about concerning Brooks saddles, so I replaced the Speed V with a Brooks B17.

After about 150 miles, Mr. Brooks and Mr. Butt are finally seeing eye-to-eye.

I'm converting my Trek 820 to a winter bike, and as I sit here typing I see the Trek leaning against the back of my computer desk, and I see the Speed V sitting next to my printer. As I recall, the standard saddle that come on the Trek wasn't that great, so I think I'll put the Speed V back into service!
Old 11-23-07, 02:17 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Whatever works!
Old 11-24-07, 07:08 AM
SteveA

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WTB Saddles

If you have wide sit bone spacing - you might find a seat that works for women to suit your situation. My wife went through quite a few saddles and ended up with the same WTB saddle on both her single and the tandem. She loves them. They are not super-wide - but are slightly wider than most. She's had these for about 5-6 years so they appear to hold up fine too.
Old 11-24-07, 11:11 AM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not only that, I wear a mountain bike helmet and mountain bike shorts on my road bike, and have road tires on one of my mountain bikes.
Far as I can see, the difference between road and mountain stuff is mainly marketing. I know serious riders (300-400 miles/week) who won't even carry the same TOOLS on their mountain bikes as they do on their roadies. I think of them with pity every time I lower the visor on my helmet and ride into the sun with my eyes shaded from the glare.
Use what works. Who cares what it's made for?
Old 11-24-07, 11:50 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So whats a Mountain bike saddle. For years I used a Selle Italia Flite Titanium on the MTB- One of the popular Roadie saddles that the Cognicient know and use. Changed away from it for a while and finished up with a new saddle in a Flite MaX gel flow. Same again in that the roadies use it. On the Tandem I use a Selle Italia Trans-Am- the same as a lot of Touring Straight bar Roadies (Tandem is full off road). Then I started on the road bikes and I use 3 similar saddles to the Flite Titanium,. Admittedly the Fizic Arionne is not often seen on Mountain bikes- Or is it. All I see when following the MTB's up a hill is the Fizic Log. Never get time to look at the saddles when the rider is waiting for me. The other two are often seen on MTB's

There is no difference in saddles between Road and MTB's- Just the butts that sit on and hide them.

And as to bontrager saddles- You have to be harda**ed to use them.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 11-25-07 at 01:49 AM.
Old 11-24-07, 05:29 PM
farandaway
"older than dirt"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Um, actually, I kind of like my Bontrager saddles. The women's saddles that came with my bikes aren't half bad. Does that mean I'm harda**ed? One can only hope! (Nyuk nyuk nyuk)
Old 11-24-07, 07:18 PM
guybierhaus

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gave the WTB Speed V a try on my road bike. Although I should mention my road bike has a flat bar, so I do sit more up right. It wasn't totally uncomfortable, but I went back to the Velo saddle after 12 miles. Was too narrow and firm for me. After some more research I gave the WTB Comfort V Sport Saddle a try, that is much wider (6 1/4") then the Super V and so far is the winner. At 348 grams it isn't as light as many road saddles, but it is much lighter then the Brooks. (Brooks was a leather covered brick to me).
Old 11-24-07, 09:48 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
WTB Rocket V Race on both my Big Buzz hybrid and KHS tandem. Not as comfy as my RANS seat but very tolerable.
Old 11-25-07, 03:28 AM
EXCALIBUR
Proud To Be An American

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress SX 2006 Giant OCR 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have WTB Rocket V SLT Saddles on my Giant Cypress SX and Giant OCR 3. It is a very comfortable saddle and works for me.
Old 11-25-07, 06:31 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by farandaway View Post
Um, actually, I kind of like my Bontrager saddles. The women's saddles that came with my bikes aren't half bad. Does that mean I'm harda**ed? One can only hope! (Nyuk nyuk nyuk)
I have 3 Trek bikes and only the mountain bike still has the Bontrager saddle on it. Of course the mountain bike doesn't have many miles on it and I didn't spend too much time sitting on my first mountain bike ride

The Bontragers on the road bikes didn't work for me. I switched to a Specialized on one and a Terry saddle on the other. I love the Specialized and my butt doesn't complain too much about the Terry. I seldom do long rides on the bike with the Terry.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith