Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Iv'e traded in my C02 inflator

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-07, 08:45 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My wife and I went for a ride the other day and when we got to the trail both bikes had flat front tires. I had filled them both about an hour before we left home. Usually I put my hand pump in the truck, but had forgotten it. I put a patch on my tube and changed hers with a new one. I always carry two C02 cartriges in my seat bag, so no problem. After riding a while we stopped at a fruit stand for a snack. When we started to leave my wife had another flat on her front tire from a sand spur. I had only used part of the 2nd C02 cartridge and thought, no problem, but it had leaked out. Luckily a couple from Toronto came by and he had a small light weight frame pump. I borrowed the pump, patched her tube and we were off. When we got home I took the frame pump and bracket off of my mountain bike and weighed it on my sons postal scale. 6 0z. Then I took my C02 inflator and the two cartridges and wieghed them, 4.8 0z. My Litespeed is now 1.2 oz. heavier than it used to be.
Old 12-16-07, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoMad
I took the frame pump and bracket off of my mountain bike and weighed it on my sons postal scale. 6 0z. Then I took my C02 inflator and the two cartridges and wieghed them, 4.8 0z. My Litespeed is now 1.2 oz. heavier than it used to be.

Hilarious. I've never heard anyone do the math like this! I guess it's the aesthetic of no pump mounted on the bike that's the big appeal, no?
Old 12-16-07, 09:35 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I have a frame pump and also carry a CO2, on my Jamis and just a CO2 on the Roubaix.
Old 12-16-07, 09:52 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A pumpless pump is even lighter than a frame pump.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 12-16-07, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tossed mine after the first flat. A friend gave it to me for Christmas, and I was underwhelmed but packed it in the seat bag. Turns out a 12g cartridge will only inflate my big tires to about 60psi, and at that time (several years ago) 16g carts were hard to find and cost almost $3 apiece at the bike shop. I went back to my 15-year-old Zefal frame pump and I've never been sorry.
Old 12-16-07, 10:11 PM
TMB
Permanent Refugee .......

Bikes: Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been carrying Zefal frame pumps since the early '80's.

I have never used CO2.

My pump works really well.
Old 12-16-07, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by waytoomanybikes
I have been carrying Zefal frame pumps since the early '80's.

I have never used CO2.

My pump works really well.
+1
Old 12-17-07, 05:11 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
While I'm a Retro Grouch about most things, I still appreciate the convenience and speed of using CO2. I haven't pumped up a tire on the roadside for over 5 years.

In the interest of full disclosure, we don't have sand spurs or goat head thorns in the area where I live so I generally only get 1 or 2 flats per year.
Old 12-17-07, 07:17 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
While I'm a Retro Grouch about most things, I still appreciate the convenience and speed of using CO2.
Same here. When it's sub-zero on a ride and I have to change a flat, I really appreciate the speed.

Old 12-17-07, 08:28 AM
Keeping A Low Profile

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Sport [1998], Dahon Speed P8 2007, 1994 Diamond Back Ascent and a couple of Schwinn Stingrays [one boys, one girls] from circa 1977.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always been curious how you weight concious bikers feel about filling your tires with CO2 . . . what with it being heavier than plain ol' air?? I mean 'it is' rotating weight.

DON
Old 12-17-07, 08:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got rid of mine after I came across six riders of a local team on the side of the road waving me down. They had used all of the CO2 cartridges they had (as a group) and the tire was still flat.
Old 12-17-07, 09:16 AM
Super Modest

I can send my address to anybody that wants to get rid of their evil CO2 inflators.

Old 12-17-07, 11:18 AM
Bikin' and Hikin'

Bikes: Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwood
I've always been curious how you weight concious bikers feel about filling your tires with CO2 . . . what with it being heavier than plain ol' air?? I mean 'it is' rotating weight.

DON
I always use Helium instead of C02!
Old 12-17-07, 11:26 AM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
On our tandem we use the Mt.Morph pump byTopeak since they first came out. It converts to a min-floor pump. Great: 100 strokes gets us 100 lbs. of air in our 700x25 tires. Pump ain't free, but the air is! Works for us.
Old 12-17-07, 12:09 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have one resounding memory of a mountain bike race where the leader was miles in front of every one else and got a flat. No problem and 90 seconds later and the tyre was ready to inflate. Out came the CO2 and it did not inflate the tyre. Out with a second cartridge and still a flat tyre. The rider abandoned when the field went past and no-one offered a pump. She would have been disqualified if any one had for outside assistance.

I'll stick to a pump.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-17-07, 01:32 PM

Bikes: Stevens Strada 600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I went for a ride the other day and when we got to the trail both bikes had flat front tires. I had filled them both about an hour before we left home. Usually I put my hand pump in the truck, but had forgotten it. I put a patch on my tube and changed hers with a new one. I always carry two C02 cartriges in my seat bag, so no problem. After riding a while we stopped at a fruit stand for a snack. When we started to leave my wife had another flat on her front tire from a sand spur. I had only used part of the 2nd C02 cartridge and thought, no problem, but it had leaked out. Luckily a couple from Toronto came by and he had a small light weight frame pump. I borrowed the pump, patched her tube and we were off. When we got home I took the frame pump and bracket off of my mountain bike and weighed it on my sons postal scale. 6 0z. Then I took my C02 inflator and the two cartridges and wieghed them, 4.8 0z. My Litespeed is now 1.2 oz. heavier than it used to be.
I almost bought a CO2 pump this spring but the bike guy at my local MEC very strongly advised against it. Too expensive, too heavy and he promised that it would be sure to not have enough gas when I needed it most. I bought a small frame pump. Your experience proves him right and reinforces my decision.
Old 12-17-07, 03:14 PM
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hand pump= free air, more reliable.

+1 on the Topeak Morph.
Old 12-17-07, 05:09 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So...you started out a ride with two flat tires? And you didn't check first to ascertain the reason for why they were flat? And you only had 2 cartridges for 2 bikes on a ride where sand spurs occur?

No offense, but that sounds like a case of pilot error...
Old 12-17-07, 05:41 PM
hello

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 52 Posts
My junk drawer is full of experimental mini-pumps. I rarely use my CO2 inflator. I'm back to using a traditional frame pump.
Old 12-17-07, 05:44 PM
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by roadfix
My junk drawer is full of experimental mini-pumps. I rarely use my CO2 inflator. I'm back to using a traditional frame pump.
There's a ton of crap mini-pumps out there, and only a few good ones.
Old 12-17-07, 05:59 PM
Super Modest

Still checking my mailbox for cast-off CO2 inflators.

Old 12-17-07, 07:43 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you cast away your CO2 inflator, then how you are going to put out tire fires?

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 12-17-07, 07:52 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Frame pumps on my road bikes. I carry inflators on my MTB. Mini pumps are worse than walking.
Old 12-17-07, 08:01 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
What is the best mini-pump available? I would never desecrate my CF bike with a frame pump. It's a little snot.
Old 12-17-07, 08:04 PM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I always carry two C02 cartriges in my seat bag, so no problem. After riding a while we stopped at a fruit stand for a snack. When we started to leave my wife had another flat on her front tire from a sand spur.
If you're going CO2 and only CO2, you NEED to carry more than 2 for sure. I carry 4 for solo rides, and I'm still paranoid.

... Brad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.