Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Ever have a day?

Old 01-06-08, 01:22 PM
tntom

Bikes: Felt Z35

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ever have a day?

Have you ever had a day when you just can't get into riding? I went yesterday it was cold, cloudy,and windy. I realy wanted to ride but when I started I was cold and just could not get past it. I started climbing to warm up got some good climbing in then just road along the river and worked on speed. It did me good. Got my MPH average up, did some climbs but it was work. I was glad to be off the bike when it was over. MAN I hate that I want to love it all the time. Maybe I am just getting old but sometomes I do things because I know I need to do them. To top it all of when I got home I got sick, had the runns, if you know what I mean. Just needed to say that I feel better now. Thanks for being there.
Tom
Old 01-06-08, 01:26 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll tell you one thing- You got out and had a ride.

Unless I feel that this is the only chance of riding for a while- I would leave the ride for a couple of days. Wrong thing to do as at this time of year- The weather will not improve much.

So rotten weather- had to work at it and did not enjoy it- What are you moaning about?

Spike Milligan
Old 01-06-08, 01:27 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Sometimes it just bees that way.
I've been stuck in the house with a nasty flu-like bug for the past few days. Not being able to get out and ride is driving me nuts.
Old 01-06-08, 01:45 PM
countersTrike
Recumbent Trike

Bikes: WizWheelz TerraTrike with Velo-Kit & 24V motor, completely enclosed (fiberglass/kevlar & Lexan) EZ SX Tad with 36V motor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
I've been stuck in the house with a nasty flu-like bug for the past few days. Not being able to get out and ride is driving me nuts.
Between hurricane winds, HUGE waves, storm after storm, and a flu-like cough: I am also climbimg the walls. The song liine- "it never rains in southern California" needs an update- "*AND* central coast California".

What a heck of a time to be out of chicken soup....

countersTrike
Old 01-06-08, 01:59 PM
tntom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
I'll tell you one thing- You got out and had a ride.Unless I feel that this is the only chance of riding for a while- I would leave the ride for a couple of days. Wrong thing to do as at this time of year- The weather will not improve much.So rotten weather- had to work at it and did not enjoy it- What are you moaning about?
Your right I should be glad I could ride and As I think about it having to work at is a good thing. It can't all be fun and games.
Old 01-06-08, 02:17 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tntom View Post
Your right I should be glad I could ride and As I think about it having to work at is a good thing. It can't all be fun and games.
Can think of better rides though---

Well done on the mind set.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-06-08, 06:27 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're a better man than I am. If I don't feel like riding I usually just hang
around the house getting fatter. I've even been known to turn around half
a mile into a ride because I felt "Low on Fuel"....aka ambition.

My hat's off to you.
Old 01-06-08, 07:00 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
It was in the 50's here today and I had to pass on riding for the same reasons

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-06-08, 07:02 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you ever had a day when you just can't get into riding? I went yesterday it was cold, cloudy,and windy. I realy wanted to ride but when I started I was cold and just could not get past it. I started climbing to warm up got some good climbing in then just road along the river and worked on speed. It did me good. Got my MPH average up, did some climbs but it was work. I was glad to be off the bike when it was over. MAN I hate that I want to love it all the time. Maybe I am just getting old but sometomes I do things because I know I need to do them. To top it all of when I got home I got sick, had the runns, if you know what I mean. Just needed to say that I feel better now. Thanks for being there.
Tom
Glad you're feeling better. There are days during the winter when I have to force myself to get dressed and go out the door to ride. I think it's the getting ready to ride that bugs me the most about winter riding

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-06-08, 07:06 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I missed the last two days (yeah, the weekend days) due to almost constant cold rain here in SoCal.

Sometimes I can get myself all suited up for it and take off on my touring bike (i.e. with fenders), but instead I worked on a couple of my wife's bikes (see photos of her Armstrong 3-Speed over in Classic and Vintage forum), then helped her type up some tests (she teaches high-school Chem. and Environmental Science).

Still wet and cold outside . . .

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-06-08, 07:09 PM
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alternative point of view: If you don't feel like riding, maybe you're body is telling you to back off for a day or two.
Old 01-06-08, 07:20 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
Alternative point of view: If you don't feel like riding, maybe you're body is telling you to back off for a day or two.
I second that. I was going to ride in the rain again today, but I woke up with a few more aches and pains than usual, so maybe they're from yesterday's spectacular, I mean comic fall. I ran some errands, picked up a new external hard drive (Yea! New Year's Resolution to check off!), bought a new bike lock, bent the ear of a guy at the LBS about hardtails, and watched the Chargers rise from the dead in the second half to beat the Titans. No ride today. No guilt, either.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-06-08, 08:09 PM
stercomm
On the road again

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had many a day where I didn't feel like riding, problem I have is determining which days are more mental than physical. I've had days, which I'm sure we all have, where I really didn't feel like riding and was worried about how the ride would turn out; went out and had a great day. I've also had days where it was torture all through the ride. I guess the one thing I might have learned, still not sure, is that on the days where it is torture it is okay to shut the ride down early and just chill.

Best of luck to you in overcoming whatever crud you may have. As the saying goes; "if it was easy everybody would be doing it".
Old 01-06-08, 08:21 PM
specbill
Riding Heaven's Highwayson the grand tour

Bikes: '10 C'Dale Tandem RT2. '07 Trek Tandem T2000, '10 Epic Marathon MTB, '12 Rocky Mountain Element 950 MTB, '95 C'dale R900, "04 Giant DS 2 '07 Kona Jake the Snake, '95 Nishiki Backroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tom at least you got out today, good man!...I wussed, got on the trainer and watched the second half of the Chargers' game. Maybe tomorrow if enough snow melts.
Bill J.
Old 01-06-08, 08:34 PM
guybierhaus

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you ever had a day when you just can't get into riding?
Pretty much the entire month of December. I don't enjoy riding below 50 degrees. If I didn't have a strong desire to achieve my mileage goal for 2007, I may not have gone out at all. I was a bit tired of the whole bicycling thing. Did cut a number of rides short as I was having no fun. Suppose to have some warm 60 degree days this week, that's more like it.
Old 01-06-08, 09:19 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
I'm not disagreeing because I think that is often the case.

But then again I have also often gone on rides when I really didn't feel like it at the start, basically going through the motions, and during the ride I start feeling good and have a great ride.

Strange stuff.
Old 01-06-08, 10:47 PM
tntom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yah but I realy should not complaine. I mean there are lots of folks that would love to go ride or do lot's of the things I do but they can't for one reason or anouther. The truth is I am a overly blessed man and I sometimes forget it.
Old 01-06-08, 11:16 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To top it all of when I got home I got sick, had the runns, if you know what I mean. Just needed to say that I feel better now. Thanks for being there.
Tom

I suspect that your body knew what was going on while you were on the ride. I know that intestinal distress gets me down mood-wise before my body lets me know what will be coming out.
Old 01-07-08, 06:35 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator

Bikes: Giant Propel, Gianni Motta, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6130 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Just needed to say that I feel better now. Thanks for being there.
Tom
Glad we could help.

Seriously, sometimes the body is willing and the brain can't handle it. Sometimes, it's the other way around. Such is life, but I haven't found any other exercise hobby that I still enjoy after 26 seasons.

Rest up, re-energize and get back out there!