Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Shoes - For Clipped and Not Clipless

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 01:14 AM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I know the benefits and down side to using clipless pedals on my mountain bike for two years. I ride my touring bike with my ankle high mtb shoes and would like to find something a bit lighter and more comfortable and have really been torn about just going ahead and going clipless on the touring bike.

The only reason that I don't is that I can ride when it is raining or wet and wear my Lowa light weight hiking boots that are Gortex and completely waterproof. Can't do that with clipless.

So, any suggestions on a mtb shoe that looks a bit more like a casual shoe for riding and walking. Shimano, Pearl Izumi and Performance's brand Forte have the shoes. The Shimano's do not come with a cover for the cleat area at Performance, though they do at REI.

Any suggestions?

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 02-18-08, 05:00 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
The entry level MTB shoe from Shimano (some variation of the M020/021/022 depending on what year it is and where you are) may be your answer. My 020's had a piece of sole that had to be cut out with a knife before the cleats could be attached. This would be waterproof. They are lace up shoes that are reasonably comfortable to walk in while still having the stiff sole.

The next up shoe in the series (M038/39 etc) has a screw on cleat cover (looks like part of the sole) that is removed prior to attaching the cleats. While appearing to be intact, it may not be suitable for walking in water.