Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

N+1 Cross

Old 03-25-08, 02:59 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
N+1 Cross

I don't have a cyclocross bike yet - and I bet it would be the perfect winter ride. It could handle the studded snow tires, and is close enough to a road bike that my aversion to hybrid/MTB commuting on pavement would be avoided.

Peformance has a 3.3 lb aluminum frame with CF fork and integrated headset for $229. With 10% off, 20% double coupon weekend & free to store shipping....

I've got a 7speed cassette 700c rear wheel, a spare 700c front wheel, seatpost, chain, saddle, braze-on 600 FD, handlebar, brake levers, stem, and suprlus Ultegra crankset/BB, and new eggbeater pedals.

I only need a Deore RD, FD braze-on adaptor, Jagwire cables, and a set of tektra mini-V brake levers.

As a bonus, the 135mm rear would accept a Bionx electric kit should I ever save the $$. That would put a 25 commute within acceptable distance/commute time.
Old 03-25-08, 05:28 PM
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds good except I think I would go for a steel frame for the better ride. I have an old steel Specialized Sirrus road bike that I just put some Kenda 30 cyclocross tires on and I love the way it rides. It is also a 7 speed which is fine, but when I ride it on some sandy trails the 105 52/42 front double is way to high.
Old 03-25-08, 05:50 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Originally Posted by RoMad View Post
Sounds good except I think I would go for a steel frame for the better ride. I have an old steel Specialized Sirrus road bike that I just put some Kenda 30 cyclocross tires on and I love the way it rides. It is also a 7 speed which is fine, but when I ride it on some sandy trails the 105 52/42 front double is way to high.
This is a crime of opportunity - 10 % off, 20% kickback, free shipping, and kick-***** deal. The Ultegra is 52/39 and I believe the cassette is 13-28 or 13 - 30. If I sell Blue Goose I can re-purpose the bar end shifter adapters I bought for her. I like each bike to be different in one or two areas and already have one 80's vintage bike of equal/better quality. The Campy bits should keep the price high.

A cyclocross bike will cover the aluminum frame, cross, studded tire compatible, and possibly electric assist slots. BTW - the Raleigh is 531, Paramount Columbus SL, Blue Goose Columbus SLX, Fuji World 853 - so I do enjoy steel

Old 03-25-08, 05:52 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Originally Posted by RoMad View Post
Sounds good except I think I would go for a steel frame for the better ride.
I wouldn't overstate the ride quality difference. While I ride steel framed bikes most of the time, my go-fast bike is a Klein aluminum with a carbon fork. I don't notice a ride quality difference from my Bridgestone based "retro grouch" bike even though the klein has skinnier, harder tires.
Old 03-25-08, 07:30 PM
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
On my aluminum mountain bike I don't notice a rough ride on the fat tires and when I switched to the 30's on the specialized it made a really big difference on rough roads. I think I would go up to a set of 25's on my Litespeed but they won't fit. I have arthritis in my lower back so I am probably more sensitive to the ride than a lot of people. And no, I am not going to go to a bent, before anybody suggests it.