Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Whether???

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-08, 06:51 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Whether???

Saturday was spent putting in the foundations for the wifes new Above ground swimming pool. Plenty of work to do but working evenings and one day at the weekend- It should be ready for water to go in it by the end of the month.First attachment is of the 1.5 ton of concrete mixed yeaterday and laid. Not a bad days work and it would leave all day Sunday to get in a ride. Forecast was not that good with a frost overnight and a bit of precipitaion possble in the morning and a distinct possiblility that by the day- it would come down as a sprinkling of snow.

They got that wrong. All ready to go for a ride at 9- but waited for breakfast. Out the back door 30 minutes later and it was spitting with rain. Still got the bike out and pumped up the tyres. Only took a couple of minutes and the spits were heavy and Icy. Called off the ride to see if it would cease. 30 minutes later and called off the ride. Reason why is in the rest of the pics. The sprinkling is 3" deep and growing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Foundations.jpg (36.3 KB, 23 views)
Snow.jpg (42.1 KB, 19 views)
snow2.jpg (66.1 KB, 17 views)
snow3.jpg (57.2 KB, 15 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 04-06-08, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I didn't get to ride Saturday either. I was a judge for the Florida Odyssey of the Mind State Finals at the University of Central Florida. OM is a wonderful program designed to foster creative thinking in students. My group judged about 16 high school teams in a spontaneous problem moving balls into scoring areas using a variety of common items (a broom, ladle, pencils, rubberbands, etc.) If you get a chance to get involved with OM, you should. Helps keep old brains supple.
Old 04-06-08, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Saturday was spent putting in the foundations for the wifes new Above ground swimming pool.
They got that wrong. All ready to go for a ride at 9- but waited for breakfast. Out the back door 30 minutes later and it was spitting with rain. Still got the bike out and pumped up the tyres. Only took a couple of minutes and the spits were heavy and Icy. Called off the ride to see if it would cease. 30 minutes later and called off the ride. Reason why is in the rest of the pics. The sprinkling is 3" deep and growing.
Blame it on the pool! I took ours down and scrapped it back in '03. Every year the weather would
warm until I opened the pool, then cold and wet would return. Pool gone...problem resolved.

Of course, the pool will be refreshing when the Summer heat finally arrives.
Old 04-06-08, 07:52 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
It's good that your pool's not done yet because that doesn't look like primo swimming weather to me.
Old 04-06-08, 08:23 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I got the opposite yesterday. Forecast was for rain so I was planning to go to the gym. But after breakfast I looked out and it was pretty nice. The wife and I rode down to the Tidal Basin (we are in DC) and saw the cherry blossoms in full bloom and then did a couple of laps around Hains Point (a loop the roadies use for training but also a great park for cherry blossoms). Beautiful morning and a nice surprise ride. This morning is what we were expecting yesterday - ugh.
Old 04-06-08, 09:23 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
The pool looks big enough to do laps in.

Smart man..........that looks to be it for the mowing...
Old 04-06-08, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Same deal as for donheff - beautiful, sunny weather. I attached the Trail-A-Bike and took my daughter to her school's carnival. Nice one hour ride. My wife joined us in about an hour, found the last parking space at the school, thanked me for not driving. Afterwards, we put the bike in the station wagon, went to see the Reduced Shakespeare Company, and out to dinner. Without the Trail-A-Bike, the logistics would have been impossible.

Paul
Old 04-06-08, 11:37 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Snow in Sussex in April? It's a wacky weather year.
In the mountains east of Seattle we were skiing in 4" of new snow on a 15' base. Un-heard of.