Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Who do you know that has Caught the Bug

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-08, 08:01 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

A lady in her mid 40's helped me with all the prep work for the TT's and also attended the first TT a few weeks ago. She had not ridden a bike for over 30 years. As she puts it, the last bike she rode was a little "girlie bike".

She seems to have been bitten by the cycling bug.

She has already ordered herself a bike and hopefully it came in over the weekend. After she ordered a bike I sat down with her and we made out a list of the "accessories" she needed to think about getting. As she put it, she was born to shop so she was having a lot of fun with it already-but did have a quizzical look for all the "extra stuff".

Little does she know.......

It's fun seeing others get interested and excited. You never know if their interest will last but she is certainly very serious and enthusiastic for now. She can't wait to be able to get out and ride on the Speedway as well. And I warned up front about the lure of spandex but she just didn't heed my warnings.
Old 04-27-08, 08:26 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And I thought this was going to be another thread about DG.
Old 04-27-08, 09:44 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Have you warned her about N +1.

Those accessories are where the hidden cost is- You can see the value in a $500 bike- but in a $50 helmet?- and that small bag under the saddle is worth a fortune for its size.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-27-08, 10:15 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Yesterday was the Little Rock Earth Day celebration. I helped with the Bicycle Advocacy of Central Arkansas exhibit. The biggest feature was a bicycle rodeo for kids. I saw quite a few future 50+ers getting bitten by the bug.

One of the coolest stories was talking to a parent as his little girl rode around and got some pointers from our volunteers. Apparently the little girl had been refusing to give up the training wheels even though she was the advanced age of 7.

But at the rodeo, she was seeing that she could balance herself and riding around the rodeo. It seemed that getting instructions from someone who wasn't Dad, and by using a bike that wasn't hers, she could try riding training-wheel-free without commiting to it like she would have if Dad removed the wheels from her bike.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 04-27-08, 10:18 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Yesterday was the Little Rock Earth Day celebration. I helped with the Bicycle Advocacy of Central Arkansas exhibit. The biggest feature was a bicycle rodeo for kids. I saw quite a few future 50+ers getting bitten by the bug.

One of the coolest stories was talking to a parent as his little girl rode around and got some pointers from our volunteers. Apparently the little girl had been refusing to give up the training wheels even though she was the advanced age of 7.

But at the rodeo, she was seeing that she could balance herself and riding around the rodeo. It seemed that getting instructions from someone who wasn't Dad, and by using a bike that wasn't hers, she could try riding training-wheel-free without commiting to it like she would have if Dad removed the wheels from her bike.
You're supposed to remove the training wheels? Looks like I have a little wrenching to do with Ruby today!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-27-08, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
31 miles worth of fever today. That made 50+ for the weekend. Is it terminal?