Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   65-85+ Thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/418043-65-85-thread.html)

oldster 06-30-11 12:40 PM

QUOTE)What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Boy thats dateing yourself....
Bud

TejanoTrackie 06-30-11 05:37 PM

You betcha.

http://classickicks.com/wp-content/u...d-E-Newman.jpg

John C. Ratliff 07-01-11 12:13 AM

I remember Alfred. Yes, that does date us a bit.

I'm not yet retired, and have not been commuting regularly. But today was different. It was the last day of my work week, so I rode to work (about 20 km), worked until 1:00 PM, then rode to a 20-hour Haz-Woper class that I had 2 employees taking. I wanted to see what the instructor was like. Well, I went back up the Portland Hills through Forest Park, taking a longer but less steep route back than in the morning. I ended up with 54 km today. I'm not really that sore either, so I'm pretty happy about the day. Tomorrow, we (my wife and I) will sleep in, relax with breakfast, and do some hiking in the Columbia Gorge.

John

PS--I just joined this group last December.

RonH 07-01-11 03:34 PM

I always liked these guys.

http://skins19.wincustomize.com/5/13...ew-32-4249.jpg

LAriverRat 07-01-11 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by John_V (Post 12829864)
I think this is giving a misleading representation of what I meant because it was in response to a post from a previous page on this thread. When I replied, it put my response as the last post. Sorry about the confusion as it wasn't meant as a reply to Again's post.

I have to agree that you can only do what your body tells you and pushing yourself can sometimes become disastrous. I don't know if it has to do with genetics or what (both my parents lived into their mid 90's) but excluding the two cancers, I have been fortunate to have been in excellent cardiovascular health. I will be 65 in October and push myself on every ride until the ride starts to push back. At that point, I concede to the ride and stay at a point where I am still comfortable with myself and the ride. This past month has been really difficult for me to ride every day, as I normally do, and I'll have to start pushing myself again to get back what I have lost. But I intend to do it gradually.

Come back in October when you turn 65.

LAriverRat 07-01-11 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie (Post 12845413)
Greetings fellow seniors. I'm 65 today, so I thought I'd check in here. Been riding and racing bikes for 40 years or so. Done most of the disciplines of road, track (velodrome), cyclocross, mtb. Last 5 years I've focused on master's track with some decent results in last year's national championships in Frisco, TX; 6th in sprints, 8th in 500m TT, 4th in 60+ team sprint (3 riders). Currently I'm off the bike recovering from double inguinal hernia surgery I had 17 days ago; had to wait until this month to have it done under Medicare, since I was retired and uninsured prior to this time. I'm a total bike nut with 19 bikes, including 7 that are track / fixed gear and several very old custom-built steel lugged framesets. Looking forward to more posts in this thread and interaction with you kids. :)

Welcome, hope you recover soon. 19 bikes? I only have 10, I must be slowing down. Please keep us informed about your training and races.

John C. Ratliff 07-01-11 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by LAriverRat (Post 12869100)
Come back in October when you turn 65.

By rounding, he's 65 ;) Give him a break, and welcome an October 65th birthday.

John

LAriverRat 07-03-11 05:35 PM

I have been going less miles on my rides and upped the intensity so today I did 15 miles in 45 minutes into a slight headwind on my way home of a 42 mile ride. Felt strong and could have done more but turned off for the last 4 miles to home.
First time this year of hitting this mark. Riding less this year than i want but seem to have kept my endurance.

stonefree 07-06-11 07:29 AM

I admire what most of you guys are trying to do but please adopt a little common sense, or maybe adopt a little pet monkey named "common sense" cause "I'll have to start pushing myself again to get back what I have lost. But I intend to do it gradually" may not work unless you own or have unlimited access to a fully working time machine with an excellent reverse gear. Like sort of a back to the future bicycle or something...jeesh.
http://www.doodyville.com/images/doody_whattime.jpg

Pace yourselves, guys, cause after all it is that time. They were trying to warn us.

DnvrFox 07-06-11 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by stonefree (Post 12886927)
I admire what most of you guys are trying to do but please adopt a little common sense, or maybe adopt a little pet monkey named "common sense" cause "I'll have to start pushing myself again to get back what I have lost. But I intend to do it gradually" may not work unless you own or have unlimited access to a fully working time machine with an excellent reverse gear. Like sort of a back to the future bicycle or something...jeesh.
http://www.doodyville.com/images/doody_whattime.jpg

Pace yourselves, guys, cause after all it is that time. They were trying to warn us.

Sounds a little like-

"If you can't compete with the Joneses, bring the Joneses down to your level"???? :)

Burr 07-06-11 06:27 PM

Ya, I slowed down!

Two hours in the gym three times a week pushing some big weights and putting the young folks to shame.

Three rides a week of about 20 miles each and three full Yoga Routines. Plus following Baseball and Rugby.

Sure will be glad when I get old, this exercising is killing me.

Life's Great, Enjoy

ModeratedUser150120149 07-08-11 01:23 PM

Since I went off the bike early May due to injury there has been major atrophy of my muscles and conditioning. It will be at least another couple weeks, depending on surgery schedules, before I even get surgery. After that I expect to be SLOW and SHORT DISTANCE. But, that is OK. I know that I will be able to do the rehab.

But, I don't see the doc, probably just his PA, until next Wed so all is speculation until then.

TejanoTrackie 07-09-11 09:42 AM

A belated 65th birthday present

5 Attachment(s)
Yesterday I received a belated 65th birthday present, 11 days after my birthday and exactly 4 weeks after my hernia surgery. It's my 20th bicycle and the first ever with 650c wheels. I'm quite short at 5'-3" and it has always been a problem finding bicycles with 700c wheels that both fit properly and had sensible geometry. This bike is a Wabi Lightning fixed gear that weighs a mere 15.2 lbs as shown in the photos. The frame is a bit small for me, as it is intended for riders in the 4'-9" to 5'-3" range, and I fall at the upper end. Nonetheless, the setup fits me properly with a cockpit size that matches my other bikes. Given that I'm still recovering from my hernia operation, I've only been able to ride it gently around the block in my neighborhood, so I can't provide a detailed evaluation. If any of you shorter persons, especially women, are interested in more details please feel free to PM me.

DnvrFox 07-09-11 11:29 AM

A fixie!! I wouldn't even get on a fixie. I did learn to bike, however, in the 1940's, on a single speed (didn't we all?)

It looks GREAT. Enjoy.

oldster 07-09-11 11:52 AM

yea, I rode a fixie once, in 1951,learned a lot,.. never again!
Bud

TejanoTrackie 07-09-11 05:59 PM

Well, I've been racing track for 35 years, so riding fixed comes naturally to me. I don't call it a "fixie", only hipster posers do that. It was also very popular in the 1970s and 1980s for road racers to ride fixed during the winter months in a very low 60-65 gear range to get their spin back after grinding huge gears in races. It's actually very kind to your knees if you do it right, keeping the gear low enough to maintain a good cadence of at least 90 rpm on the flats. I've chosen a gearing that lets me maintain 19 mph at 90 rpm, which I can do comfortably, and still allows me to handle any hills that we have where I live. Also, it helps clean up your pedalling technique, so you pedal in circles instead of squares. Riding a multi-speed geared bike allows you to get lazy, and when I ride I want to get some exercise benefit out of it.

RonH 07-09-11 07:10 PM

Nice looking bike. :thumb: Not my style but to each his own.

TejanoTrackie 07-09-11 07:26 PM

10 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 12904556)
Nice looking bike. :thumb: Not my style but to each his own.

Thanks. It's just but one of twenty in my stable. I like all kinds of bikes. Road bikes, track bikes, dirt bikes. Here's a few others:

Burr 07-10-11 02:44 AM

Wow, nice bikes.

Enjoy

RonH 07-10-11 07:11 AM

Very nice. Maybe you should talk to my wife. When I had 3 bikes she said it was too many. :rolleyes:

ModeratedUser150120149 07-10-11 01:23 PM

And you regularly ride them all?

DnvrFox 07-10-11 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by HawkOwl (Post 12907148)
And you regularly ride them all?

I think he is really a centipede.

ModeratedUser150120149 07-10-11 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 12907158)
I think he is really a centipede.

:lol:

Phil85207 07-11-11 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie (Post 12904368)
Well, I've been racing track for 35 years, so riding fixed comes naturally to me. I don't call it a "fixie", only hipster posers do that. It was also very popular in the 1970s and 1980s for road racers to ride fixed during the winter months in a very low 60-65 gear range to get their spin back after grinding huge gears in races. It's actually very kind to your knees if you do it right, keeping the gear low enough to maintain a good cadence of at least 90 rpm on the flats. I've chosen a gearing that lets me maintain 19 mph at 90 rpm, which I can do comfortably, and still allows me to handle any hills that we have where I live. Also, it helps clean up your pedalling technique, so you pedal in circles instead of squares. Riding a multi-speed geared bike allows you to get lazy, and when I ride I want to get some exercise benefit out of it.

You won't get lazy doing the ride I did yesterday on a multi-speed bike. lots of 10,11,and 12% grades for about 9 miles. I took my old 1985 Cannondale hy-bird just for fun yesterday. Tomorrow I will do it on my road bike, a Felt AR4. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98287823

TejanoTrackie 07-11-11 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Phil85207 (Post 12911054)
You won't get lazy doing the ride I did yesterday on a multi-speed bike. lots of 10,11,and 12% grades for about 9 miles. I took my old 1985 Cannondale hy-bird just for fun yesterday. Tomorrow I will do it on my road bike, a Felt AR4. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98287823

It's not that hilly where I live, although it can be pretty dang windy. I also have several multi-speed road bikes (see post #768) which I ride regularly, and I find myself constantly gearing down too much and slacking off. Despite the mechanical advantage of the geared bikes, I find myself averaging about the same speed on them as on my single speed bikes. I find that when I'm riding the geared bikes, I need to ride in a group of fast riders to force me to push harder, whereas on the fixed gear bikes I can ride alone and still work hard.