Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   65-85+ Thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/418043-65-85-thread.html)

RonH 07-14-11 07:16 AM

Got the MRI results from my sports med doc yesterday. He said the left knee looks a lot like the right knee did a few years ago -- only worse. The left knee has more arthritis and shows more degradation. My surgery is next Thursday (7/21). My PT will be the same as it was after the surgery on my right knee -- 4 weeks on the trainer :( -- then back out on the road. :)
I sold my 2002 CycleOps Magneto last fall because I try to ride outside all year and haven't used it in a few years. So I ordered a 2011 Kurt Kinetic Road Machine last week. It should be delivered today or tomorrow. :)

Wonder how much fitness I'll lose? :cry:

DnvrFox 07-14-11 07:19 AM

Good luck with the knee.

I talked with my friend yesterday and the prognosis looks much better.

RonH 07-17-11 01:12 PM

Spent too many days at the hospital last week -- various out patient "digestive disorder" tests for my wife. She sees the doc next Friday to get the results. So far everything looks ok.
For me it was too many days off the bike. To top it off my cardiologist "hinted" during my last visit in April that it would be a good idea for me to lose a few pounds (like 30 pounds :eek:) so I started "his" diet last Monday. No need to eat while sitting around the hospital. I've lost 6 pounds already. :)
Did 25 miles today. No energy because of the lower calorie, lower carb diet. :( Another reason I picked now to start the diet is because of my upcoming surgery. My sports med doc said I'll be on the trainer for 4 weeks. If I get tired because of lack of carbs I can ride slower or just get off the trainer and lay down on the couch. :innocent:
Yay for Netflix. :beer:

John_V 07-17-11 03:02 PM

Joint surgery is no picnic. My wife has had a complete hip reconstruction and two hip replacements. They had to replace the hip where they did the reconstruction because of the arthritis setting in faster than they predicted. I hope yours goes as planned and that you are back on the bike agin in no time. At least you have the trainer. In the winter, I would ride on my Minoura trainer while watching NCIS reruns on cable. Not exactly riding on the road but better than sitting on the couch.

DnvrFox 07-17-11 03:36 PM

Sorry to hear about all of the medical stuff. Wow, things do start to wear out as one "ages."

My friend, who was going to have back surgery found on his presurgery cardiac assessment that he had a silent heart attack in the past!! Now, he has to have that assessed.

That sucks

RonH 07-18-11 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by John_V (Post 12941960)
Joint surgery is no picnic. My wife has had a complete hip reconstruction and two hip replacements. They had to replace the hip where they did the reconstruction because of the arthritis setting in faster than they predicted. I hope yours goes as planned and that you are back on the bike agin in no time. At least you have the trainer. In the winter, I would ride on my Minoura trainer while watching NCIS reruns on cable. Not exactly riding on the road but better than sitting on the couch.

I had the same surgery (arthroscopic) on my other knee 3 years ago. No big deal, just an inconvenience. :o

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 12942070)
Sorry to hear about all of the medical stuff. Wow, things do start to wear out as one "ages."

My friend, who was going to have back surgery found on his presurgery cardiac assessment that he had a silent heart attack in the past!! Now, he has to have that assessed.

That sucks

Sorry to hear about your friend. Hope it turns out well.

It true that there are too many reports of medical problems in the 50+ forum. :(

TejanoTrackie 07-20-11 11:31 AM

Well, with all the bad news, I'm pleased to give y'all some good news on my part. Saw my hernia surgeon today and got the all clear to resume a normal life. I'm still having some soreness at the incision sites, but the repair seems solid. I passed the old turn your head and cough test with flying colors. Up until now I've been limited to lifting no more than 10 pounds. Celebrated by opening my garage door for the first time in six weeks and lowering a few bikes off the ceiling hooks. The whole deal cost me less than $230 out of pocket for copays; God Bless Medicare !

RonH 07-21-11 10:49 AM

Great news about the hernia. :thumb:

I survived the knee surgery. Started at 9 AM and I was home to see the last 1/2 hour of the TdF.
Trainer time starts tomorrow. :o

RonH 07-24-11 10:52 AM

Did 6 minutes x 2 on the trainer on Friday, 12 minutes x 2 yesterday, and 20 minutes this morning. Will do another 20 this afternoon. My doctor called (on a Sunday???) to ask how I was doing. Gave him the no-pain report and trainer time stats. He said when he sees me on Tuesday morning he may discuss a "more aggressive" therapy program. :)

LAriverRat 07-24-11 08:33 PM

Happy that things are going well for you on the recovery, keep it real, don't overdo it. Hope to hear you are out on the road again soon, ride on.

DnvrFox 07-24-11 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 12978407)
Did 6 minutes x 2 on the trainer on Friday, 12 minutes x 2 yesterday, and 20 minutes this morning. Will do another 20 this afternoon. My doctor called (on a Sunday???) to ask how I was doing. Gave him the no-pain report and trainer time stats. He said when he sees me on Tuesday morning he may discuss a "more aggressive" therapy program. :)

Great news. Keep it up.

I visited my 74yo bicycling friend near Denver today, who had four spacers placed in his back between his vertebrae. He looks great, had been out of the hospital a couple of days and is walking around the home. This was a procedure not available in his home town.

It is amazing what they can do nowadays.

RonH 07-26-11 03:13 PM

Saw the PA this morning. She removed the bandages and said everything looked great. No change in my routine. Just keep riding on the trainer. With the bandage off I could bend my knee a lot more. No more bunching up behind the knee. Felt good to be able to bent it farther but just a little sore on the outside front. I had to back off on the gears and speed because of the increased bend. By back off I mean instead of being on the small chainring and cog 7 (10 speed cassette) I had to stay on cog 3 and 4.

Let's see now, if I was on the road and riding with that gear combo I'd be doing ..... hmmm ..... maybe 6 mph. Wow!!!!!

RonH 07-27-11 03:22 PM

Made the jump to light speed today. Started on the small chainring and cogs 4-6 for the warm-up. Then jumped to the large ring and cog 3 for a few minutes. Then did 30 minutes on cog 5 and 6. :thumb: I'm getting there. :)
I see the doc again on August 15. That will be ~3-1/2 weeks since the surgery. Will he let me out on the road? What does the billy goat say in the Aflac commercials? :rolleyes:

Phil85207 07-28-11 11:12 AM

If you get as good a result as I did with my arthroscopic knee surgery you will be very happy. It's been almost 20 years ( I can't believe it) and they still work good. Best wishes and good luck with yours.

jbenkert111 07-30-11 03:46 PM

Time Trials

Hi guys,

I am 70, joined in 2005 and have posted a few times. My question at this time is, I would like to start doing some time trials, but have noticed that there are not to many and usually do not have an age group for 70+. I am a runner and I am use to age groups. I live near Annapolis, MD. I have a Triathlon bike. Any recommendations how to find time trials that are old folk friendly. Also, any advice on how to train for them at 70+. I did do a couple about 8 years ago and averaged 21 for 20K. Also, would it be advisable to do road races when your reflex's are not what they use to be. Any old guys in this area interested in doing some speed training and willing to teach me something?

Take care,

John

RonH 07-30-11 07:10 PM

Maybe the 50+ Racing/Training thread will help.

DnvrFox 07-30-11 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 13011247)
Maybe the 50+ Racing/Training thread will help.

+1

Some goodfolks there, some approaching 70.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-racing-Thread

RonH 08-05-11 11:03 AM

No one has posted here for nearly a week so here goes.
I did 50 minutes on the trainer today. That's about all I can take, even when watching a movie. :o
I have a follow-up with the doc about my knee in 10 days. Got my fingers crossed. :)

DnvrFox 08-05-11 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 13039349)
No one has posted here for nearly a week so here goes.
I did 50 minutes on the trainer today. That's about all I can take, even when watching a movie. :o
I have a follow-up with the doc about my knee in 10 days. Got my fingers crossed. :)

50 minutes on the trainer is the equivalent of 2 lifetimes. Congrats!!

TejanoTrackie 08-05-11 08:53 PM

Today I went for my second nonstop ride over 10 miles exactly 8 weeks after my hernia surgery. I feel fine in the surgery area, but am really badly out of shape aerobically, so I was breathing really hard on the climbs. It doesn't help that we've been having a major heat wave here, with temps well in the triple digits. Right now as I write this approching 10 pm, it's still 90 degrees and probably won't get much lower overnight. On a totally off topic side note, yesterday I bought a Kirby vacuum cleaner system from a door to door salesman. It's been a long time since I bought a big ticket appliance that was made in the good old USA. :)

Burr 08-05-11 08:57 PM

Gee, I "ain't got nothing wrong" with me. I'm 69.8 and I just ride when the rain stops.

Life's wonderful, Enjoy!

RonH 08-06-11 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 13039390)
50 minutes on the trainer is the equivalent of 2 lifetimes. Congrats!!

True. Anything longer than 50 minutes and I start having thoughts of suicide. :twitchy:

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie (Post 13042159)
Today I went for my second nonstop ride over 10 miles exactly 8 weeks after my hernia surgery.

Awesome. :beer:

Originally Posted by Burr (Post 13042168)
Gee, I "ain't got nothing wrong" with me. I'm 69.8 and I just ride when the rain stops.

Bragging is NOT allowed here. ;)

DnvrFox 08-06-11 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Burr (Post 13042168)

Life's wonderful, Enjoy!

Wait until you turn 70!! :)

genesis5521 08-08-11 08:20 AM

Just stopped in to say "hi all".

I'll be 66 in December, and I'm a Clydesdale (200 pounds & 5'10"). For the last 10 years I've had a nice Gary Fischer Hoo Koo E Koo mountain bike that I use pretty regular (but don't diet). Had extra rims with street tires made up for it so I could do road work with it. But in the back of my mind I always wanted a road bike for the road. Just bought my first road bike on 8-2-11. Did some 40 mile road rides with the mountain bike but struggled (almost died) to average 13 MPH. Took my new road bike out for a quick 20 minute workout and averaged 15.6 MPH on my 5.6 mile course (and almost died ~ at least that's what it felt like). BUT I LUV IT ! Wanna lose at least 20 pounds. Gonna start watching what I et. My new bike was a steal at $399.99 as it retailers for over $900. It's a left over 2010 model and the bike shop just wanted it off the floor to make room for the new models. They said they're taking a loss on it and I believe them.

Here's a link to my new bike: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...45854&eid=4352

Praying you all have a blessed day.

Don <><

LAriverRat 08-08-11 05:09 PM

You will come to love your road bike. I am in the second week of "Big Ring Month" which is my own little test to see how to build up my speed. Its working, avg 17.7 mph for 53 miles today. Includes all stopping for red lights, stop signs, bridge repair crews, girls in distress(chain fell off, stuck between the dropout and hub), you get the picture. Two years ago started to ride a road bike. It will take you about two years to develop "Road Legs". Lots of fun, ride on.