Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Platform Pedals

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Platform Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 12:31 PM

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I have the Sun Zu-Zu on my road bike, Donna has the Wellgo's on her mtn bike, I have the Nashbar pedals on my mtn.bike. I like the Sun pedal best out of all of them, because the pedal is more concave and fits the foot better. A vote for the Sun pedals here!
I use the Suns as well..like them the best both summer and snow and ice covered winters..
Old 06-03-08, 02:02 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've read many threads on the various clipless types. Is there any such beast as a clipless that barely clips you in? Something that would exist primarily to keep your foot in place as you spin, but your shoe could pop out of easily - even in the middle of falling over. Where it would barely let you pull up on the upstroke before it would pop off?

The platforms with pins, such as the Sun Zu-Zu, Wellgo MG-1, and Speedplays act much this way to me. My foot stays in place ... but it doesn't necessarily mean it is in the right place.

My PowerGrips are the closest thing I've found to a clipped-in experience that has a very easy out. Frankly, I like something that is even easier to get out of than them.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-03-08, 03:13 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Step right up ladies and gentlemen. Take a good look at the 21st century unclipped clipless pedals. This new invention has revolutionized (got it) the art of spinning you feet around in circles. Not SPD's, not Frogs, no.......nothing so crass as a mechanical attachment.

Magnets.............the power of the universe. Little electromagnets powered by the dynamo in your hub. The faster you go, the tighter your feet are attached to the bicycle yet.............when you are slowed down by pesky traffic.............you feet almost fall off of their own accord.

Hey.......don't touch the product kid.........that's the only working model this side of the Mississippi.

Once sold under the famous Dura-A** label and now liscensed to SCRAM, these babies weigh but a few grams and cost less than an ABM missle system. Step right up, plonk down a 10% handling charge and get on the reservation list for your very own set.

Hey.........kid...........I told you not to touch the product..........................

Step right up everyone..........................
Old 06-03-08, 03:16 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Where can I buy them?

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-03-08, 03:18 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm about to install those strapless plastic toe clips on one of my bikes to try that system out. Picked up a pair for $6.

Old 06-03-08, 03:20 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I've read many threads on the various clipless types. Is there any such beast as a clipless that barely clips you in? Something that would exist primarily to keep your foot in place as you spin, but your shoe could pop out of easily - even in the middle of falling over. Where it would barely let you pull up on the upstroke before it would pop off?

The platforms with pins, such as the Sun Zu-Zu, Wellgo MG-1, and Speedplays act much this way to me. My foot stays in place ... but it doesn't necessarily mean it is in the right place.

My PowerGrips are the closest thing I've found to a clipped-in experience that has a very easy out. Frankly, I like something that is even easier to get out of than them.
The strapless mini-clips work very well for what you describe.
Old 06-03-08, 03:24 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm about to install those strapless plastic toe clips on one of my bikes to try that system out. Picked up a pair for $6.
Wife has those on her bike and I have to admit that they work.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-03-08, 03:27 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Zorba

Enough already. These are not platform pedals. And the MKS Classic "Platform" Pedals are not platform pedals. Those are both fine, functional examples of pedals with plain cages. Nothing wrong with them, if they work for you.
Old 06-03-08, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Be expressive with Nashbar.

Last edited by Dchiefransom; 02-08-09 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-03-08, 05:08 PM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
If you REALLY want grip, I recommend the Syncros Mental pedals:

I've run the Alloys (pictured above) for two or three seasons and am now running the Mags. They are hands-down the grippiest platforms out. Each pin is v-grooved at the top for extra bite. Be careful though: they are angry, hungry-for-meat things. Here are the Mags on my new ride:

Old 06-03-08, 05:18 PM
Boomer

Faint of heart need not apply.......................Oh, you were talking about the pedals.

Nice bike D.......
Old 06-03-08, 06:17 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I saw those Nashbar gizmos the other day when I was looking around. The guitar doesn't look too bad, and it is on sale. If I had a nice lookin' cruiser for riding around town, I might be tempted.

Old 06-03-08, 06:25 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I almost gave up on clipless pedals until I stumbled onto the combination of Shimano SPD pedals and the silver, multi-release cleat. Once I found the combination that works for me I've been afraid to try anything else.
Old 06-03-08, 08:11 PM
Let's ride to the pub!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But..but.. don't you understand that clipless means you NEED to have NEW SHOES?
How can that be a bad thing?

I keep forgetting you guys are all...guys
Old 06-03-08, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the grip kings, have only about 300 miles on them but they are the best platforms I've used, good grip and they look nice also
Old 06-03-08, 09:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Specialized platforms that I stole from the 15yr old that eats my food work just fine. They look like the third and last images in the OP. Regular bike, not a 'bent.
Old 06-03-08, 10:40 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by freeranger
I have the Sun Zu-Zu on my road bike, Donna has the Wellgo's on her mtn bike, I have the Nashbar pedals on my mtn.bike. I like the Sun pedal best out of all of them, because the pedal is more concave and fits the foot better. A vote for the Sun pedals here!
Why do you like the concave shape? The bottoms of my shoes are flat.

Old 06-03-08, 11:24 PM

Bikes: Felt Z35

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got platforms on my flat-bar road bike too. And my hybrid and my Bridgestone city bike. My feet never slip off of any of them. When I was riding it up hills last week, I never noticed any problem. I have PowerGrips on my hybrid and so when I'm on the backstroke & try to pull up, it does feel like I am applying some upstroke pull. But when I do the same on my platforms, it feels exactly the same. And there is no effect on my speed uphills with or without the PowerGrip straps - even though they do hold my shoes tight to the pedal.

People write that they feel like they have to hold their feet onto the pedals with platforms. I was trying hard to lift my feet off of the pedals, while spinning at around 90 rpm, and was unsuccessful.
Why not put PowerGrips on it. They seem like a good pedal.
Old 06-03-08, 11:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Rivendell MKS "sneaker" pedal which is a $20 platform pedal. It is light weight and doesn't bark up the shins as badly as some of the other, heavier, more aggressively spiked metal pedals.

Maureen
Old 06-03-08, 11:39 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd prefer something I can get into quicker than PowerGrips. It always takes me a few revolutions to get my feet fully inserted into them, I have to "worm" them in. And that's with the PG setup to their maximum opening. I think it is because I wear wide shoes.

On my bent, I'd need my shoes to go right into them, because it's less stable when one is putzing around with the pedals. On my hybrid, where they are installed now, it doesn't matter if it takes longer.

My feet do come out of the PG much faster than they go in.

Old 06-03-08, 11:42 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by maureenkh
I like the Rivendell MKS "sneaker" pedal which is a $20 platform pedal. It is light weight and doesn't bark up the shins as badly as some of the other, heavier, more aggressively spiked metal pedals.
I like the sneaker type pedals too, have a set something like them on my city cruiser. But on my recumbent I need something my shoe stick to better.

I keep reading posts about pedals tearing up shins. Do people experience this a lot? I can't remember my pedals ever raking across my shins. Is this a mountain biking thing?

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 06-03-08 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-04-08, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just curious what kind of shoes do you waer with all these different brands of platform pedals?
Old 06-04-08, 01:39 AM

Bikes: Felt Z35

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd prefer something I can get into quicker than PowerGrips. It always takes me a few revolutions to get my feet fully inserted into them, I have to "worm" them in. And that's with the PG setup to their maximum opening. I think it is because I wear wide shoes.

On my bent, I'd need my shoes to go right into them, because it's less stable when one is putzing around with the pedals. On my hybrid, where they are installed now, it doesn't matter if it takes longer.

My feet do come out of the PG much faster than they go in.
I understand I felt the same way with toe clips. That's why I went clipless.
Old 06-04-08, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok Tom let me show my ignorance some more. If you have some clipless pedals which have metal cleats, would it be possible to grind the cleats down so that they really don't hold your feet to the pedals but just align your feet to the correct position and keep your feet from sliding off the pedal?

With my platform pedals I have found that it is more important to chose the right shoe to ride with that to pick the right platform pedal. With my atb competitor pedals, some sneakers have the groves on the bottom at just the right place to work with the pedals and some shoes have a sole pattern which will not engage the pedal in anyway to help stabilize the two.

We need to know what the gravity game riders are using on their bikes. I can't ever see myself doing what they do unless I am having the worst accident that I have ever had.
Old 06-04-08, 07:18 AM
Boomer

Originally Posted by jim p
Ok Tom let me show my ignorance some more. If you have some clipless pedals which have metal cleats, would it be possible to grind the cleats down so that they really don't hold your feet to the pedals but just align your feet to the correct position and keep your feet from sliding off the pedal?

With my platform pedals I have found that it is more important to chose the right shoe to ride with that to pick the right platform pedal. With my atb competitor pedals, some sneakers have the groves on the bottom at just the right place to work with the pedals and some shoes have a sole pattern which will not engage the pedal in anyway to help stabilize the two.

We need to know what the gravity game riders are using on their bikes. I can't ever see myself doing what they do unless I am having the worst accident that I have ever had.
Just look at the pictures of Dminors downhill bike above. Freeriders (gravity games etc) and downhillers pretty much use the same pedal and a lot of the other equipment on the bike is similar. They are not as interested in weight as in downright brutal strength. In both types of riding it can ruin your day to have something break.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.