Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The problem with playing hard....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-08, 10:44 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts

The problem with going out and playing like you're 20 years younger than you are is that for the next two days you feel like you're 20 years older than you are.....

... my body still hurts from Sunday's fun....
Old 06-10-08, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not alone!
Old 06-11-08, 05:59 AM

Bikes: Raleigh SC30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny how your mind thinks or tells you; oh sure go out & push it like you used to but then your body is the one with the last word or should I say the last pain.
Old 06-11-08, 06:25 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Some of you used to "push it?"
Old 06-11-08, 08:09 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Wednesday morning is the time I go out for a spin. This time of year I try to get up a bit early, beat the heat and the unlubed masses, and head over to Cherokee Park to do 1-2 hours of serious mountain biking.

It's Wednesday morning, it's bright and sunny out, and I'm sipping coffee and vegging in front of my computer.

After Saturdays's group ride (I'm not bitter that I was dropped. Well, yes I am), I've had nothing in the tank. Nothing. I could shake my fist towards the Heavens and curse the aging process, but it wouldn't accomplish anything.

So I'll sit here and read from one of four timeless classics until I go to meet my wife for lunch: either a) The Idiot, by the Russian dude, or b) Hamlet, bu Willie S., or c) The Imitation of Christ, by Thomas a Kempis, or d) the new Performance Anniversary Sale catalogue.
Old 06-11-08, 08:29 AM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The trick is that you never push it so hard that you are going to notice the next day...yet still enjoy the ride and get some exercise..........................peace
Old 06-11-08, 09:05 AM

Bikes: Cruzbike Conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider
The problem with going out and playing like you're 20 years younger than you are is that for the next two days you feel like you're 20 years older than you are.....

... my body still hurts from Sunday's fun....
Still hurting from a hot Saturday ride, of course I don't think laying two rooms of peal and stick tile helped.
Old 06-11-08, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am trying something to if not overcome at least make better that skunked feeling when pushing it too hard.

At the end of Sat. 70 miles in about 90f and high humidity after a shower I took about a 2 mile walk. It was hot and I just went slow. Instead of just ploping down and crashing. The next morning I felt much better than usual and was ready to finish the Sunday leg of the ride.

On Monday went for a 17 mile recovery ride at a slow pace. Again hot and humid. So the theory is to get some mild exercise or movement after a hard ride. Going to keep this up and see if it really has any impact. As of now, yes it helps.
Old 06-11-08, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
the unlubed masses.
Tha's a good one - need to remember that.
Old 06-11-08, 11:34 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Floyd
The trick is that you never push it so hard that you are going to notice the next day...yet still enjoy the ride and get some exercise..........................peace
When I discover the trick- it would be a boring ride. There is always the hill to attack- The lone rider up ahead to catch- Or the group of 20 year old that have just blasted past you to slip in behind and get a tow from. And Offroad is worse. You just got to show the 20 year olds that the hill they just fell off- Is climbable.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-11-08, 08:09 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Floyd
Well, that's all fine and dandy in principle but it belies the reality of having fun, being hooked up in a competitive process and forgetting about paying the debt later on in the heat and fun of the present.

To be honest I suppose I should point out that I didn't reach this condition from riding. But it could just as easily be due to riding for any of us. In this particular case it was pump paintball. Pump meaning that it's pump to fire each ball just like a pump shotgun.

It was a great day of running and playing in the woods on a nice dappled cloud day that was just the right temperature. How could I NOT overdo it and still face myself in the mirror?

I had the last laugh though. My driving companions to get to the game were all in their early 20's and they were all hurting just as much as me and walking just as funny when we got out of the van..... Or maybe I was just hiding it a little better....

There's not many forums for us 50+'ers out there to whine and moan about stuff like this so hopefully you'll all forgive me for talking about "our" bodies in relation to a sport other than cycling just this once.

I actually don't mind the stiffness and tiredness the next few days when it happens from something like this. It helps assure me that there's still fun to be had even if it DOES mean some paymet later on.