Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ozark Roadies Saturday Ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-08, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Subject group set out to ride from Drake Field in Fayetteville, AR to the top of Mt. Gaylor and back, about 44 miles round trip. Yours truly planned on going from the top of Mt. Gaylor down to Mountainburg, AR and back, about 65 miles. I've tried to do this run twice this year and have come up short each time. First time, on my birthday, we had tornadoes. Second time, I broke a spoke!

We set out from Drake Field south on U.S. 71. There were about a dozen of us ranging in age from 20-something up to mid-to-late 60 somethings. It's an eclectic group.

About 5 to 6 miles into the ride, my rear tire detonated! It wasn't a simple puncture. There was a 1-inch gash in tire and tube. As we were talking and riding, I have no idea what got the tire, but it looked as if I had run over a perfectly-positioned steak knife. Fortunately, I had a boot to place in the tire. If you don't carry a boot or something to act as a boot, you should. I installed the boot and a tube. The valve in the first tube separated from the tube. The second one worked. The tire was bulging a little at the boot, and I had no more spare tubes, so I rode back to the truck. This trip had gotten me again!

I drove back to Fayetteville and bought a new tire and two new tubes. The LBS guy installed the tire for me as I was a little agitated and wanting to get back out. It was at Fayetteville Bicycle Company. Kudos to FBC!

Back to Drake Field and back on the road toward Mountainburg. I'm thinking, "maybe the fourth time's the charm."

I met the Roadies on their return leg. I discussed my plan, and Tom, a 39-year-old young punk and Bachetta Corsa rider said that he would go with me. He had never done the Mountainburg ride. He had already climbed the north side of Mt. Gaylor once on the ride.

Tom mentioned that he isn't much of a climber, so I told him to set the pace and I would follow.

We made it to the top of the mountain, took a little break to pet the chows who chase me, and headed down the mountain to the south. What Tom lacks in ascents, he more than makes up for in descents. We both like to hammer down hill, but he's like a rocket on that demonic recumbent. I've never had to tell anyone to "wait for me at the bottom" until I started riding with Tom.

We took a detour before we got to Mountainburg and rode two miles of road and 600 feet down in elevation to the new Lake Ft. Smith State Park. It's beautiful. I hammered for all I was worth but could only get to 43.6 mph on the fresh asphalt. Tom, on the other hand, got to 55 mph and passed a car on the way down!

This is Tom (left) and yours truly in the little plaza below the visitor center. Lake Ft. Smith is in the background.

This is the area below the visitor center and includes a boat launch and small marina. Not the little peninsula to the left.

Here's Tom at the entrance to the visitor center. He's thinking, "OK, the ride down was exhilarating, but now we've got to climb out! Why did I do this?"

Remember the peninsula? This is it as viewed from U.S. 71.

I finally made it to Mountainburg in '08! Fun's over, however. We have a 9.5 mile climb once we get back to the base of the mountain and then 22 miles back to Drake Field.

We took a little photo break at Artist Point. Still more mountain to climb. Off to the right is the mother lode of kudzu. If I eat some of that stuff, will I be able to climb better and perhaps keep up with Tom on the descent on the other side of the mountain?

One last look out over the Boston Mountains. They were beautiful today. There are still wild flowers in bloom to please the senses.

When we got back to the airport, I had a total of 81 miles. Tom had a total of 101 since he had already done part of the route with the group. Despite the tire problems, this turned out to be a great ride. Thanks to Tom for doing the ride with me.

I finally broke the jinx. The fourth time WAS the charm.

I'll try to post a group photo of our bunch from our next weekend ride.
Old 06-22-08, 09:57 PM
Ol' Paint

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Grand Prix,'71 Schwinn Super Sport, '73 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Schwinn Super Sport, '84(?) Univega Gran Sprint, '89 Schwinn Waterford Paramount

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great report! I am truly envious. My memories of driving the roads around there does not include much in the way of shoulders for the rather narrow, twisty roads. What are the traffic conditions and road conditions you encounter? Do you ride access roads paralleling the highway or do you just take off across the country? I look forward to further pictures. It looks like a truly great ride.
-- Leon Briggs
Old 06-22-08, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Beautiful pics, doc.

I gotta hand it to you for sticking with it. After the slashed tire and the 6 mile return to the truck, I think I would've been tempted to hang it up.
Old 06-23-08, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ticwanos
My memories of driving the roads around there does not include much in the way of shoulders for the rather narrow, twisty roads. What are the traffic conditions and road conditions you encounter? Do you ride access roads paralleling the highway or do you just take off across the country?
The main north-south traffic is on I-540, which more or less parallels U.S. 71. Traffic on Saturday was a little heavier than it has been in the past. With the opening of the state park, I think it will stay that way. There was a motorcycle rally in Ft. Smith, and a lot of them were on U.S. 71 with us. We ride on 71 and usually have no problems with motorists. The "bikers" and our group of cyclists usually exchange waves.
Old 06-23-08, 06:03 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
Beautiful pics, doc.

I gotta hand it to you for sticking with it. After the slashed tire and the 6 mile return to the truck, I think I would've been tempted to hang it up.
+1

A slashed tire would have ended my day

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-23-08, 07:11 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks John for posting your pics and the ride report.
Dorothy
Ozark Roadies
Old 06-23-08, 07:58 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Nice scenery; I've been through that area several times and remember how nice it was.

Thanks for the reminder on the tire boot...I need to get one.
Old 06-23-08, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go John, cool ride and great photos.
Old 06-23-08, 10:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks John, enjoyed the ride! Tom
Old 06-24-08, 10:10 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice report John. Makes me almost wish I had turned around and rode with you and Tom back over Gaylor.

Alan

Last edited by BiggerAL; 06-25-08 at 05:36 PM. Reason: misspelling