Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Should I give myself a rest ?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Should I give myself a rest ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-08, 05:34 AM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kirby999
I've been doing at least 10 miles a day now for about three weeks , and once I loosen up after a couple of miles , the rest of my ride is getting easier . I'm doing the hills better .I'm averaging 9.8 mph over the whole route . The problem is later on in the evening; my legs get tight and cramp some especially walking up and down stairs . Should I be taking it easier one or two days a week or keep at it until the soreness goes away ? kirby
Sounds like you're doing too much, maybe three days a week and if 6-7 miles feel good then stop.
I've been riding 30 years and I'm 66 and a diabetic now so I don't push to much

A point or two.

You only need to work above threshold for 22 minutes

Try Gatorade mixed half & half, like freeze it the night before then you have a cold drink. Drink before you are thirsty. That should take care of the leg cramps!

Hope you have a heart monitor, it makes it nice.

You are doing good just don’t kill yourself doing it.
Old 07-04-08, 09:31 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Burr
...You only need to work above threshold for 22 minutes...
Would you elaborate?

Another point..... in addition to rest days, you might consider 1-2 days of cross-training to work other muscles. No matter how often I ride my bike, if I take a good long hard walk one day, I feel it in a different set of muscles the next day. And upper body strength training is also important to work the other half of your body.
Old 07-04-08, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, no , no. Keep riding!! I am on day 43 in a row, going about 30 miles a day... I keep feeling better and better each day. I had some of the same symptoms your describe. Drink way more fluids than you think you need, and eat a couple of bannanas..But by all means, keep on biking. 10 miles a day is a good distance but far from the point where your gonna do any damage to yourself. Your muscles are working and that is the idea. Your also biking about a hour a day, with 23 hours of rest. That's plenty of rest..Rest is for the weak....
Old 07-04-08, 09:53 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WHOOOSSHHH...
No, no , no. Keep riding!! I am on day 43 in a row, going about 30 miles a day... I keep feeling better and better each day. I had some of the same symptoms your describe. Drink way more fluids than you think you need, and eat a couple of bannanas..But by all means, keep on biking. 10 miles a day is a good distance but far from the point where your gonna do any damage to yourself. Your muscles are working and that is the idea. Your also biking about a hour a day, with 23 hours of rest. That's plenty of rest..Rest is for the weak....
Once a Marine, always a Marine.
Old 07-04-08, 06:27 PM

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Rode this evening after about a day and half rest and it felt good . I had intended on a short ride of 5-6 miles to try out the fresh legs and I was trying out a new saddle ( an E3 Gel) . The ride went so well I went ahead and done my normal 10 miler . Legs feel great . I guess they just needed a little time off. I had to do a little more adjusting on the saddle and the jury's still out on it , but it's looking promising . The comfort level was probably equal to the comfort seat I had on it before , then I adjusted it front down a little and moved it forward a little and raised it some; then rode it for about 1/2 mile . Feels better so far . kirby
Old 07-04-08, 07:45 PM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kirby999
Rode this evening after about a day and half rest and it felt good . I had intended on a short ride of 5-6 miles to try out the fresh legs and I was trying out a new saddle ( an E3 Gel) . The ride went so well I went ahead and done my normal 10 miler . Legs feel great . I guess they just needed a little time off. I had to do a little more adjusting on the saddle and the jury's still out on it , but it's looking promising . The comfort level was probably equal to the comfort seat I had on it before , then I adjusted it front down a little and moved it forward a little and raised it some; then rode it for about 1/2 mile . Feels better so far . kirby
I like to turn the nose to the left or right just a little to make room for things.
Not everyone can be a Texan but anyway.