Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-08, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by speedlever
I find that I tend to use a HR monitor (as part of my Edge 305 package) to track what I do rather than to train with it (which is what I should do). In due time....

I had a Polar F11 HRM which I used prior to the Edge. I ran them in parallel for a short while and found the Garmin to be equally accurate... or at least the two devices matched each other.

BTW, I liked the F11 because it has user replaceable batteries on both the watch and the HR strap. But I prefer the Edge because I can d/l the data to my PC for analysis... or just to see what I've been doing.
I have the Forerunner 305 which is wrist worn version of your Edge. It's HR strap has replaceable batteries, but my Polar did not.

Al
Old 09-15-08, 06:04 PM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn, I work around 140 tops.

Because I am a Diabetic my doctor told me to stay around 100 but I cruse at 115-120.

RM-RF, how old are you?
Old 09-16-08, 12:49 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Burr
Damn, I work around 140 tops.

Because I am a Diabetic my doctor told me to stay around 100 but I cruse at 115-120.

RM-RF, how old are you?
Easy way to judge if you are working hard enough on a bike or other exercise.

If you can talk to the rider next to you with ease- you are just turning the legs.

If it gets---To the stage where-- you have to take afew ---breaths to make sense. Then you are working the legs and lungs.

The lesss- words-- you can get-- out- in--between the-- breaths. Will mean that you are working hard.

And when you fall off the bike at the end of a hill unable to talk---Then slow down.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-16-08, 08:34 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Easy way to judge if you are working hard enough on a bike or other exercise.

If you can talk to the rider next to you with ease- you are just turning the legs.

If it gets---To the stage where-- you have to take afew ---breaths to make sense. Then you are working the legs and lungs.

The lesss- words-- you can get-- out- in--between the-- breaths. Will mean that you are working hard.

And when you fall off the bike at the end of a hill unable to talk---Then slow down.
+1 Years ago I used the talk method while I was getting in shape on a stationery bike. My resting HR is normally slow and it seemed that trying to get my HR into the recommended zone on the bike was too tiring (and I was MUCH younger then) and my progress wasn't good. I read in Covert Baily's Fit or Fat that someone with a high resting HR may need to work out in the higher ranges and pay more attention to their ability to talk instead. So, I thought, why wouldn't the opposite be true for people like me with a low HR? I tried it, using the talk method rather than taking my pulse. If I could talk some but take breaths every several words, my HR was near the bottom of the range. I'd been trying to get it higher. I had excellent results and daily progress from this.

Hubby's HRM told him that his HR goes from upper 150s to 119 very quickly after a tough climb. He's still not sure of his max and range, but it's good to know that his HR recovers so quickly.
Old 01-05-09, 08:07 PM

Bikes: '05 Trek 7200 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by George
Thanks for the link, it's just what I've been looking for.

Ditto!!!!!!!
Old 01-05-09, 08:34 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
To find MAX HR why can't you just go out and almost barf on a hill?
I used formulas and such, but discovered on the day I did a timed hill climb that my Max was higher than I'd expected. I hit 183, and even if that was a glitch, 182 several times.
Old 01-05-09, 09:05 PM

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
To find MAX HR why can't you just go out and almost barf on a hill?
I used formulas and such, but discovered on the day I did a timed hill climb that my Max was higher than I'd expected. I hit 183, and even if that was a glitch, 182 several times.
I think the only reason is the potential danger if you're not in halfway decent shape to start with.
Old 01-05-09, 11:40 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In '99 I was certified to conduct Heart Rate Training by Sally Edwards, which I used as an adjunct in my Spinning classes. As soon as we determined what people's max HR was, and trained with HRMs, huge gains were made by all 20 people in my classes.

That worked fine for me until I started racing last year. I need to fine-tune my zones, and realized the last 2 weeks that I can't do that based on my field tests. So I contacted a professional coach to do VO2 max testing. That way I'll know how big the engine is. The coach will give me my #s and then I can tell how tuned the engine is.

Cgallagh gave me a P*lar CS200 with cadence for Christmas. I've used the HRM for a number of years, and the cadence is helpful for me given my training goals. I definitely need to know my max HR and my zones so I can train appropriately.

HRMs are a valuable tool, especially for people with cardiac issues. For others they are of no use. I don't advocate their usage unless you have specific goals or limits. They can be a real distraction, and I admit that I enjoy riding occasionally without any computer at all. If you use a HRM you may want to consult a professional to determine your limits.
Old 01-05-09, 11:46 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
When using the 'talk test', how does the ability to swear fluently at motorists fit in?

Richard
Old 01-06-09, 06:20 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by europa
When using the 'talk test', how does the ability to swear fluently at motorists fit in?

Richard
My HR usually jumps about 10 to 15 bpm's after a swearing incident.
Old 01-06-09, 07:41 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I do wear one when I exercise or bike. It is useful to determine what "zone" you are training in and keeps track of calories burned etc. Find it useful and informative. BTW I have a Garmin 305 which is not the one specifically made for biking, no cadence info etc. but works well overall. Also fun to look at the information on distances, grades etc on the computer afterward.