Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Poseur Overkill? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/471474-poseur-overkill.html)

Greenport 09-29-08 05:52 PM

Poseur Overkill?

I didn't know where to post this, and since this is where I "hang out", here goes---Today while on my local MUP I watched a pack [5] ride past me, all in full racing attire. Kinda figured these type of dudes wouldn't be caught dead on an MUP. Don't they call it "the granny trail"? I admit I don't own any bike racing stuff--still jeans and sweatshirt--but when I'm push'n it, I do it on the road, the MUP is more for relaxing. I was laughing too hard to get the camera out in time

Jet Travis 09-29-08 05:55 PM

So, you were the guy laughing at us on the MUP. Stay away from the tall weeds, sonny.

Timtruro 09-29-08 06:01 PM

I have seen a few groups like this on MUPs, I get a kick out of them especially if they make know effort to say hello or nod.

maddmaxx 09-29-08 06:03 PM

If by full racing attire you mean bib shorts and some sort of colorful jersey, then it could be me....:) Wait a few more weeks and I'll switch to bib tights....:D

n4zou 09-29-08 06:03 PM

In some states you must use the MUP instead of the road if one is available.

maddmaxx 09-29-08 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by n4zou (Post 7571434)
In some states you must use the MUP instead of the road if one is available.

? unfounded rumor ?

mandovoodoo 09-29-08 07:31 PM

Real cyclists wear appropriate and suitable gear. The pretend cyclists are those wearing junky clothes and pretending to ride. Some of those people even ride wired on tires and wave. Yuck.

Yen 09-29-08 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by mandovoodoo (Post 7572117)
Real cyclists wear appropriate and suitable gear. The pretend cyclists are those wearing junky clothes and pretending to ride. Some of those people even ride wired on tires and wave. Yuck.

So I must be just pretending. But I sure am having a lot of fun doing it! :thumb:

longbeachgary 09-29-08 08:03 PM

OK, what's a MUP?

chipcom 09-29-08 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Greenport (Post 7571346)
I didn't know where to post this, and since this is where I "hang out", here goes---Today while on my local MUP I watched a pack [5] ride past me, all in full racing attire. Kinda figured these type of dudes wouldn't be caught dead on an MUP. Don't they call it "the granny trail"? I admit I don't own any bike racing stuff--still jeans and sweatshirt--but when I'm push'n it, I do it on the road, the MUP is more for relaxing. I was laughing too hard to get the camera out in time

define 'racing attire', so I can decide whether to laugh with you or at you.

Tom Bombadil 09-29-08 08:12 PM

When I rode my 153 miles last week, I switched between wearing my REI cargo shorts and Wrangler denin shorts, along with Target C9 tech jerseys and my Merrell low-rise hiking shoes. Very comfy on my recumbent.

I find cycling clothes to be less than optimal when riding my bent on rail trails. 1) You don't need padded shorts on a bent, if anything all they do is make you hot & sweaty. 2) You don't need a cycling jersey with back pockets, for you can't use the back pockets when you have a seat back. And 3) as cycling clothes are rarely worn on these rail trails, you look kinda strange as compared to everyone else and especially when you stop to tour towns along the ride.

The experience is very different as compared to a group ride where nearly everyone is wearing cycling kit, where padded shorts are a good thing, and where rear jersey pockets are useful.

Also along these types of trails, nearly everyone says hello & nods or waves to everyone they pass. It is considered rude to not acknowledge others.

RubenX 09-29-08 08:16 PM

I wouldn't be caught death with the AMD logo on my arse. That said, I have some non-pro shorts that I use all the time.

Crank57 09-29-08 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by longbeachgary (Post 7572388)
OK, what's a MUP?

Multi Use Path; A road, trail or path intended for bicycling , jogging, walking, etc.

roadfix 09-29-08 08:23 PM

I don't know where to go with this.....:D

JanMM 09-29-08 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by chipcom (Post 7572426)
define 'racing attire', so I can decide whether to laugh with you or at you.

That would be the recumbent-specific baggy-MTB-shorts-without-padding and wicking poly Champion t-shirt from Target with SPD shoes? I'm training for the TDF.

chipcom 09-29-08 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 7572573)
That would be the recumbent-specific baggy-MTB-shorts-without-padding and wicking poly Champion t-shirt from Target with SPD shoes? I'm training for the TDF.

Beard or no beard? Everybody knows that pro TDF bent riders have beards...and pot bellies.
(well only the Dutch have pot bellies...it's legal there)

JanMM 09-29-08 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by chipcom (Post 7572621)
Beard or no beard? Everybody knows that pro TDF bent riders have beards...and pot bellies.
(well only the Dutch have pot bellies...it's legal there)

Gotta get to work on the beard and pot belly. And, gotta find a "doctor" to help improve my performance.

nivekdodge 09-29-08 08:54 PM

I've read a bunch of these threads and don't understand them. So I have to don the dress of a professional whenever I chose to do something? Need a chef's hat to cookout, a UPS uniform to bring home a package, Driving gloves, shoes and helmet for the trip to the grocery store in a car... If you saw the Lance on a fixie thread it's obvious that the pros don't dress like that when they are out havng a good time...

roccobike 09-29-08 09:28 PM

Anytime I'm riding more than 3 or 4 miles, I wear cycling shorts or MTB shorts, a cycling shirt, gloves, and helmet and that includes rides on the local MUP. I don't take leisurely rides on the MUP, frequently averaging over 14 MPH riding an older MTB on gravel.
But I have no problem with those riding with jeans and T-shirts taking leisurely rides (wish they'd ride with helmets). I'm enjoying my ride and I'm sure they're enjoying theirs.
When I come across someone who points and snickers or laughs because I'm in full gear, I just say "Hey Fred (or Wilma) how ya'doin?"

chipcom 09-30-08 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by nivekdodge (Post 7572770)
I've read a bunch of these threads and don't understand them. So I have to don the dress of a professional whenever I chose to do something? Need a chef's hat to cookout, a UPS uniform to bring home a package, Driving gloves, shoes and helmet for the trip to the grocery store in a car... If you saw the Lance on a fixie thread it's obvious that the pros don't dress like that when they are out havng a good time...

What threads are those? Other than in the road forum, where fashion is king, the majority seem to like dissing 'lycra super heros'.

FYI, Lance wasn't about to don bibs and a jersey to go riding with the Mash crew. When in Rome...

Bottom line, wear what you want and let others do the same. ;)

garysol1 09-30-08 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Greenport (Post 7571346)

This post is really sad. Judging people because they do not dress like you. You have no idea where they were going or where they have been but you see fit to judge them all the same.

NOS88 09-30-08 07:12 AM

In the Philadelphia, the pro teams frequently use the river trail bike paths prior to the Philadelphia International Championships in June. I've talked to some of the riders and they say it's not a "training" ride for them. Rather, it's a relaxed ride to loosen up. Keep in mind that a relaxed ride for them can still be 18 to 20 mph. And, Frankly, I'd much sooner have a pack of them pass me than local wannabe riders who don't have the handling skills these pros do.

NOS88 09-30-08 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by nivekdodge (Post 7572770)

I think those are poor examples. There are some sports for which the sport specific clothing makes a very big difference in performance. Bowling comes to mind. I can better execute the proper approach, release, and delivery with bowling shoes than without them. Tennis also comes to mind. Yes, I can play tennis in running shoes, but the shoes designed specifically for tennis will allow me to perform better, with more comfort, and safety. Come to think of it, your cooking example isn't completely off. No, you don't have to wear a chef's hat, but if you might choose to wear an apron to keep your clothing clean and/or pull your hair back to keep it out of the food. There are some legitimate functional reasons for wearing cycling specific clothing. Using Lance as an example is a bit misleading. When he wants his best performance, I'd venture a guess that he wears clothing that will help him achieve this. If I want my best performance, I'll pick clothing that will contribute to it. Conversely, If I'm riding to the local market with my niece to pick up a few things, I'll wear clothing appropriate for that task.

Now in terms of the UPS uniform... thanks for the idea! I think I'll talk with my wife about doing a bit of fantasy play if I can get my hands on a UPS uniform....:)

oldride 09-30-08 07:27 AM

My club occasionally starts a ride on a MUP. The MUP takes us out of town and then we turn off onto country roads. So what?

maddmaxx 09-30-08 07:56 AM

One of the things that defines pousers is their ability to look down the nose at people who are not like them..................:innocent: