Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I feel a need to RANT....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-08, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So, my wife will be 60 in a month and I am screaming towards that age right behind her. I hadn't ridden since 1974, and for her, probably since early teenage years. We decide it's past time we get in shape and buy a couple bikes. I posted my Raleigh earlier and her NOS '80s Legnano mixte is posted below.

We live in an older community that has narrow residential side streets and busy a arterial. Within a mile there is a big cemetery with flats, rises, and steep short hills probably up to 8 miles all told. We've been going over there to practice for longer rides.

Yesterday we ride in and after a short distance a guy drives up and say it's closed to cycling. He was VERY nice about kicking us out and told us to finish our ride. Apparently there were two funerals recently and people rode by yukking it up. #@%&ing ignorant MORONS always ruin it for the responsible ones.
Oh yea, he also said people were bringing dogs off leashes during funerals too. UNBELIEVABLE! Just P@%&es me off.

I was hoping not to have to buy a car rack until spring now but it's on it's way. We're going to some trails around Lunken airport....thanks for reading, I feel better now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 011.jpg (101.9 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by texraid; 09-30-08 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-30-08, 09:19 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am constantly amazed at the number of people who seem to be able to function without a brain. Common sense is becoming extinct.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 09-30-08, 09:28 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Too bad.

Nice bike!

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 09-30-08, 09:28 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CbadRider
I am constantly amazed at the number of people who seem to be able to function without a brain. Common sense is becoming extinct.
You got it. I also have no tolerance for for unbehaved kids, which I'm hoping these probably were and not adults. My Grandfather spanked me when I was way out of line and so did my Dad and I came out the better for it....we were always loved and never abused.
Old 10-01-08, 12:51 AM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I went to Mike Walden's training camp back around 1991, he said that a good place to practice your cornerring was at the local cemetery. Lots of flat paths, lots of grass in case you crash or miss the turn. But ya gotta practice when there's nobody else around! I would think most riders would avoid the cemetery completely while they're doing a funeral, for crying out loud!

L.
Old 10-01-08, 04:00 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is just crazy those people did that.
Sort of like yaking it up about the football game in the back row during church services.
Some times quiet is the order of business, and a funeral is one of those.
Old 10-01-08, 04:07 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Sorry, I don't even consider the cemetary a place to ride. I've always considered them to be off limits except to those visiting grave sites. In most cases, they are private property.
Old 10-01-08, 04:34 AM
VoodooChile

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Sorry, I don't even consider the cemetary a place to ride. I've always considered them to be off limits except to those visiting grave sites. In most cases, they are private property.
Although I agree that the sheer ignorance of some people is appalling, I share Maxx's attitude about cemeteries. There's a reason they are somber places.
Old 10-01-08, 04:47 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Too bad that many cyclists don't realize that what they do has an effect of how non-cyclists view all of us. A few weeks ago, I was driving down a narrow country road. There was a cyclist changing a flat tire on the road, not on the side of the ride, but IN the road, towards the right hand side. Less than 50 feet away was a driveway he could have used, which would have been safer for him, and less obstructive to traffic. And people around this area are, in general, very friendlly. Doubt the homeowner would have minded at all.
Old 10-01-08, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
When I was younger, I used to ride in a 'memorial park', it was a nicee place to just cruise around and think(which in those days was rare). Sometimes, I would find a bench and just sit for a while and enjoy the quite. If there was a funeral, I'd avoid it, that's just simple respect.
Old 10-01-08, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't you have to hold your breath when you're riding in the cemetary?
Old 10-01-08, 08:49 AM

Bikes: Sun EZ-Tad SX

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by texraid
I was hoping not to have to buy a car rack until spring now but it's on it's way. We're going to some trails around Lunken airport....thanks for reading, I feel better now.
I have a couple of suggestions for you on where to ride. If you want a flat area to ride in, try Armleder park - it's on the other side of the Beechmont Levee from Lunken airport, and it's really flat. My favorite place for riding, though, is the Little Miami Scenic Bike Trail. You can buy a Hamilton County Park District sticker ($5/year, and today is the first day of 2009 stickers, so you'd get 15 months out of it!) and park at Avoca Trailhead, the golf course in Newtown or Bass Island (also in Newtown). My wife and I generally ride on the trail two or three times a week.
- Bob
Old 10-01-08, 09:02 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Originally Posted by zoste
Although I agree that the sheer ignorance of some people is appalling, I share Maxx's attitude about cemeteries. There's a reason they are somber places.
We have a very historical cemetery in our area. I've visited it a few times and they even have tours around the grounds. One of the tours through the cemetery is a bike ride sponsored by the National Park rangers. Visitors to any cemetery should be respectful and stay a proper distance from a funeral service. https://www.woodlandcemetery.org/

In my town the trail used by walkers and bikers goes through a cemetery. People never go through it while a funeral service is in progress.

I often ride through a cemetery in my hometown to visit graves of friends and relatives....I'm sure they don't mind I'm dressed in cycling clothes. After all many of my friends never see me in anything else

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 10-01-08, 11:09 AM

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
A sign at the extrance advising people to restrict use of the grounds during funerals would have been appropriate before shutting down use to all cyclers. It could have included a reminder that you're in a cemetary and to conduct yourself accordingly.

Is the place now closed to all "non-funeral" activities? I used to go birding a fair amount at a local cemetary and I wouldn't hesitate to ride my bike through it today. Some people actually use bikes for transportation, too. What would you do if you rode up to visit a gravesite?
Old 10-01-08, 01:31 PM

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bikes are allowed at Gettysburg Battlefield Park, and I've ridden there a couple of times, but I don't feel comfortable cruising around there just for the hillwork... Show a little respect.
Old 10-01-08, 02:09 PM
Burn Rubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too wouldn't consider a cemetery a place to ride. If you want someplace quiet and deserted, try a local "business park" "office park" area on a weekend. I've used that and it's very good.

"...So I asked the groundskeeper at the cemetery 'How's business?' He said, 'It's been pretty dead around here.' ..."

rimshot, rimshot, cymbal.

Last edited by BRNRBR; 10-01-08 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-01-08, 03:28 PM

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
. . . and people are just dying to get in!
Old 10-01-08, 04:14 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
When I was stationed at the Pentagon, I made it a point to commute each day through Arlington Cemetery, and say “Thank you for your service”. When done with respect, there is nothing wrong with riding through a cemetery.

When I ran at lunch time, I would run by the Viet Nam Memorial. Sadly, the WWII Memorial was not there at the time, to give respect to my Dad and those that served with him.
Old 10-01-08, 04:29 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Are you allowed to visit family gravesites with your bikes, or are cars mandetory?

I'm sorry to hear that you've lost a great riding area. I often ride through
our local cemeteries, heck I even teach my kids how to drive in them. One
can use a cemetery for rides while still being respectful of the residents
and mourners. Many cities in the East used cemeteries as Sunday afternoon park
and picnic areas back during the Victorian period.
Old 10-01-08, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Common sense? I didn't take that class. bk
Old 10-01-08, 07:32 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rdmjr
I have a couple of suggestions for you on where to ride. If you want a flat area to ride in, try Armleder park - it's on the other side of the Beechmont Levee from Lunken airport, and it's really flat. My favorite place for riding, though, is the Little Miami Scenic Bike Trail. You can buy a Hamilton County Park District sticker ($5/year, and today is the first day of 2009 stickers, so you'd get 15 months out of it!) and park at Avoca Trailhead, the golf course in Newtown or Bass Island (also in Newtown). My wife and I generally ride on the trail two or three times a week.
- Bob
Thanks Bob,
Lunken is where I was thinking of going next and Little Miami after that if the weather holds. We were riding in Highland Cemetery in Ft. Mitchell....oh well. Thx all for all the comments.
Art
Old 10-03-08, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Beautiful Legnano!
Old 10-03-08, 09:46 AM
cycling for 50 plus yrs

Bikes: IF Crown Jewell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texraid
Thanks Bob,
Lunken is where I was thinking of going next and Little Miami after that if the weather holds. We were riding in Highland Cemetery in Ft. Mitchell....oh well. Thx all for all the comments.
Art

northern KY (kenhilly ) is unfortunely not very flat.
besides Lunken and loveland trail
-the 8 mile loop at Miami whitewater is another one to work up to.
- I have riden in the Spring Grove Cemetery a number of times since its more of a
historic cemetery than an operational cemetery funerals are few and far between

- taking the anderson ferry to oh crossing US 50 and a steep up for a block (walkable)
brings you to Hillside street? road? (go west young man) you end up in "downtown" Sayler park and
past some beautiful old mansions
- I also thought some of the roads on edge of CVG airport were lightly traveled havent ridden out
there for a while

==================
my suggestion is get involved with cincinnati cycle club there are some weekly (in season) beginner rides
lead (for whar seems like forever) by seniors that will make you feel young
place a message in their forum https://www.cincinnaticycleclub.org/
and my guess you find many more riding suggestions
Old 10-03-08, 10:09 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
In general, since a cemetery is private property I wouldn't necessarily expect to be able to ride there unless I was a property owner. However, the cemetery where I own property isn't really great for cycling.

I think that if I were managing a cemetery, I would like to have cyclists in the area if they were quiet and respectful. I always hear of vandals etc, and I think that cyclists around would tend to discourage that sort of thing.
Old 10-04-08, 07:29 AM
Cycler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BRNRBR
I too wouldn't consider a cemetery a place to ride. If you want someplace quiet and deserted, try a local "business park" "office park" area on a weekend. I've used that and it's very good.

"...So I asked the groundskeeper at the cemetery 'How's business?' He said, 'It's been pretty dead around here.' ..."

rimshot, rimshot, cymbal.
"...So I ask the groundskeeper "How many people are buried in this cemetary?' and he says 'All of them I'm afraid.'..."

I'll be playing here all week...try the veal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.