Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Meet Chuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-08, 06:53 AM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Meet Chuck

This is Chuck (named by some forum members):

He replaces pumpkin (my Alan Shorter bike)

Old 10-01-08, 07:21 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Chuck! How did they make the space for all those cogs in the back end and is your front hub OEM?
Old 10-01-08, 09:12 AM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Hi Chuck! How did they make the space for all those cogs in the back end and is your front hub OEM?
The Cane Creek Strados 130mm w/9 cog Ultegra cassette just dropped in without any issues. The wheels are not OEM. The original owner had re-laced the original Campy hubs to newer Campy rims. They were true but definitely not round. I decided I didn't want to try tubular tires. The Cane Creek are very nice, sturdy, sharp looking, and run whisper quiet.

I serviced the bottom bracket last night and installed the Sugino Compact 50/36 cranks. The RD is old school DA and the FD is some Shimano 9 speed. The chain is an SRAM 9 speed. The cable routers are a Suntour takeoff. The bar end shiftes are Silver Shifters, a reproduction ratcheting shifter that VeloOrange and Rivendel Bike sell. The front brake levers are Nasbar aero as well as the brake pads. The saddle is a Brooks B5N I took off a Dawes Galaxy.
Chuck is a Motobecane Grand Record, probably circa 76 given the date stamp on the Campy RD I took off. I'm selling off the Campy stuff to defray the cost of buying him.
Old 10-01-08, 10:41 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Nice bike. I like the color scheme.
Is the BB French threaded?
any problems with friction shifting on a 9 speed rear cassette? I have not tried a 9 speed setup. I would expect it to be a little more finicky than 7 or 8 speed setups due to the narrower spacing. I'm sure it works, just curious if it requires too much precision to become as natural and automatic as with the wider cog spacings.
Old 10-01-08, 01:29 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Nice bike. I like the color scheme.
Is the BB French threaded?
any problems with friction shifting on a 9 speed rear cassette? I have not tried a 9 speed setup. I would expect it to be a little more finicky than 7 or 8 speed setups due to the narrower spacing. I'm sure it works, just curious if it requires too much precision to become as natural and automatic as with the wider cog spacings.
I've ridden Chuck with the down tube shifters & 9 speed, at least 2 9 speed modern setups, and my Paramount with bar-end 8 speed. I'd say the shifting is as easy as fewer speeds.
Old 10-02-08, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Great color combination, but you've just got to find some red cable housing for the dérailleurs. And you do know a red seat would be the cat's meow. Man, I love the look of large flange hubs.
Old 10-02-08, 08:10 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Great color combination, but you've just got to find some red cable housing for the dérailleurs. And you do know a red seat would be the cat's meow. Man, I love the look of large flange hubs.
+1 A sleek looking machine, but a red seat would be a finishing detail that would complete the masterpiece. Chuck looks smooth just standing still!!
Old 10-02-08, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Chuck is a handsome fella, to be sure. I'll bet he can 'get down the road', too.
Old 10-02-08, 11:16 AM

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
If you can find it, black leather bar tape with red stitching, polished with neutral shoe wax.