Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Moustache vs. trekking bars for LHT

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-08, 07:56 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My LHT should be ready any day. You know the story about my wrist so I won't beat that dead horse again.

My short list of bar options includes trekking, moustache, and the On-One H-bar. I've used trekking bars on my hybrid and like them but I don't want to be so upright on the LHT. This will be my all-purpose bike -- regular rides (long and short), errands, night riding, etc. It will be the bridge between my too-big heavy hybrid and my featherweight crystal vase on wheels (the Roubaix).

Here's what I'm looking for in bars on the LHT:
  • OK being stretched out (the LHT has a comfortable geometry)
  • NOT sitting upright most of the time
  • Multiple hand positions that are comfortable for my wrist (2 or 3 is fine)
  • Use the stock bar-ends and brake levers
  • Comfort for long distances

I've been going back and forth on moustache bars -- they look extremely comfortable to me and I like their looks. I know they lack the position of the trekking bars on the tops, but I tend to prefer my hands being on the sides more than the tops.

I'm looking for pros and cons from the 50+ group, especially (but not limited to) those with hand/wrist issues. What else do I need to consider, such as changing the stem? If you changed from moustache to trekking bars (or vise-versa), why did you prefer one over the other?
Old 10-06-08, 08:11 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wish I could help, as I have my hand/thumb problem that I have to deal with. But all of my personal experience is with mountain bike compatible handlebars & grips. So no bullhorn, moustache, etc. bar experience.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 10-06-08, 08:17 PM
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 52 Posts
The stock bar end shifters and levers can be used on both trekking and moustache bars.

If you haven't done so yet, check out Sheldon's page on touring bars:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/deakins/handlebars.html

I understand you can't use standard drop bars but have you ever thought of dirt drop or flared drop bars? You might be able to grab the levers from these drops.

I snatched this photo of Midge bars on the LHT from another forum:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Midge bars on LHT.jpg (56.2 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by roadfix; 10-06-08 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-06-08, 08:24 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
George, I've taken a look at those and wondered if they might work, as long as I don't need to bend my wrist sideways at all to reach the levers. If I do, then they won't work for me.
Old 10-06-08, 08:32 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Yen, you have already heard a lot of people impressions of these various bars. The simple truth is that with your unique set of requirements and limitations, the only way you can learn how these bars will work for you is to try both. Keep the one you like best and either save the other for a later project or sell it.
Old 10-06-08, 08:35 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Yen, you have already heard a lot of people impressions of these various bars. The simple truth is that with your unique set of requirements and limitations, the only way you can learn how these bars will work for you is to try both. Keep the one you like best and either save the other for a later project or sell it.
I know you're right, and I was thinking those words as I started this post.
Old 10-07-08, 10:23 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Over the past few months I've tried a set of mustache bars and a set of bullhorns. As it turned out the bullhorns cost me $700 but came with a free Redline 925 attached. And I never could pass up a freebie....

Bars wise it's really a tossup. Both work very nicely and offer far better hand positioning for squeezing the brake levers than drop bars with your hands on the hoods. The bullhorns actually offer a better variety of useable positions than the mustache bars from what I've experienced so far. But part of that could be the stem/reach setup which are slightly different.

Sheldon set up an impression that mustache bars could potentially cure cancer they are so nice. I'm not sure I agree with that sentiment but they are nice and offer bars that for me work better than drop bars in some ways. I've still got bikes with drop bars but they are set up touring style with the tops way up even with the saddle so the drops are not a huge reach down that leaves me really uncomfortable. However the only time I use the drops is to get down and fight a headwind. As it turns out I'm finding that the bullhorns with the kick up at the front let's me reach forward and wrap my hands around the kickups and that lowers my forearms and puts me into a pretty nicely aero tuck without the need to reach way down like with drop bars. I find this lean forward with the arms more level is far more comfy for me than my hands being more vertical to get to the drops.

So do I like the mustache or bullhorns best? The jury is still out. I think I like the bullhorns better for their functionality. But the mustache bars are not far behind if any at all depending on how you set the stem reach and rise up. And there's one aspect where the mustache bars win hands down and that is charisma. They just look so darn funky!
Old 10-08-08, 06:33 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
My LHT should be ready any day. You know the story about my wrist so I won't beat that dead horse again.

My short list of bar options includes trekking, moustache, and the On-One H-bar. I've used trekking bars on my hybrid and like them but I don't want to be so upright on the LHT. This will be my all-purpose bike -- regular rides (long and short), errands, night riding, etc. It will be the bridge between my too-big heavy hybrid and my featherweight crystal vase on wheels (the Roubaix).

Here's what I'm looking for in bars on the LHT:
  • OK being stretched out (the LHT has a comfortable geometry)
  • NOT sitting upright most of the time
  • Multiple hand positions that are comfortable for my wrist (2 or 3 is fine)
  • Use the stock bar-ends and brake levers
  • Comfort for long distances

I've been going back and forth on moustache bars -- they look extremely comfortable to me and I like their looks. I know they lack the position of the trekking bars on the tops, but I tend to prefer my hands being on the sides more than the tops.

I'm looking for pros and cons from the 50+ group, especially (but not limited to) those with hand/wrist issues. What else do I need to consider, such as changing the stem? If you changed from moustache to trekking bars (or vise-versa), why did you prefer one over the other?
Wife Norma (Mrs. Road Fan) has trekkers on her Breezer, and they are super wide. It seems to promote her laying on her arms and collapsing her shoulders. All the moustaches I've seen in person seem just as wide. I don't know if this will be a distance bike for you, but those might not give good distance positions.

I'd wonder if the stem length has to be adjusted to compensate for the different reaches in these bars. I'd think so; you're concerned about your wrist and hence on the amount of weight on your arms, so I'd try to make sure your reach to the "normal" hand position matches than of a bike you find comfy, to within a centimeter. I've found a centimeter change in reach has a significant effect on my hands, especially after 30 miles.
Old 10-08-08, 06:35 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix
The stock bar end shifters and levers can be used on both trekking and moustache bars.

If you haven't done so yet, check out Sheldon's page on touring bars:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/deakins/handlebars.html

I understand you can't use standard drop bars but have you ever thought of dirt drop or flared drop bars? You might be able to grab the levers from these drops.

I snatched this photo of Midge bars on the LHT from another forum:
That wrist angle (based on the brake levers) seems quite natural, but I think one just has to try them to see.
Old 10-08-08, 10:02 AM
hello

Originally Posted by Road Fan
That wrist angle (based on the brake levers) seems quite natural, but I think one just has to try them to see.
I've been reading up on these bars over at Mtbr.com forum. I have the original Dirt Drops but these have a slight different bend in them that the bar end shifters don't stick out as much. I might try these bars on the LHT.

Last edited by roadfix; 10-08-08 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-08-08, 01:52 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anyone tell me how the angle of wrists on the sides of the m-bar might differ from the same position (sides) on a drop bar? I realize the angle of the wrist would depend on how far forward/back I am from the m-bar and this can be adjusted using a different stem to correct any awkward angle, I would think. I just saw a comment saying hands on the sides of the m-bar puts the wrist in an awkward position and I need to avoid that. For me, riding with my hands on the sides and hoods of the drop bar is comfortable and I move to the tops only briefly.
Old 10-08-08, 02:33 PM
hello

Jen, I assume you're talking about Midge bars.
From what I can see and what I've read, most all Midge type bars (as there are like 3 variations, depending on brand) sit high, at or slightly above saddle level, therefore bringing the drops only slightly below saddle level. This to me, seems like an ideal set up and the only way these bars are meant to be set up. Seems like most of users of these bars are hard core mountain bikers. I've seen them on a few LHTs on the sites and forums I've visited. Hmm....makes me wonder...

It also seems like the On One Midge bars are currently unavailable here in the US. Origin 8 Gary bars come very close. I've seen those by Ebay bike merchants.

Last edited by roadfix; 10-08-08 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-08-08, 02:46 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
George... actually I meant the moustache bars. But thanks for the add'l info about the Midge bars in case I ask about those too.
Old 10-08-08, 02:57 PM
hello

Originally Posted by Yen
George... actually I meant the moustache bars. But thanks for the add'l info about the Midge bars in case I ask about those too.
The info you received about the moustache bars is accurate for the most part as moustache bars are meant to be mounted at around saddle level. This may put the sides of the bars at an awkward angle for your wrists as the sides of these bars are generally set parallel to the ground, whereas trekking bars can be angled up to create a more natural grip.
Old 10-08-08, 08:00 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

There is no reason that moustache bars have to be set up parallel to the ground. I have always found that to be an uncomfortable arrangement, so I angle the ends downward towards the rear.
I rarely use the hoods position on these bars. The brakes are easily accessible with the hands in the middle of the curve and there are many comfortable positions from there to the ends of the bars.

Old 10-08-08, 08:20 PM
hello

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
There is no reason that moustache bars have to be set up parallel to the ground. I have always found that to be an uncomfortable arrangement, so I angle the ends downward towards the rear.
I rarely use the hoods position on these bars. The brakes are easily accessible with the hands in the middle of the curve and there are many comfortable positions from there to the ends of the bars.
On second thought, you're right about not having to be parallel. I dug out an old photo of my Steamroller to see how I had it set up.

Old 10-08-08, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
https://www.bikeman.com/HB2341.html
Old 10-08-08, 08:40 PM
hello

^^^ That's a lot cheaper than the Jones' H-bars.
Old 10-08-08, 08:45 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
There's certainly no law about the outer parts of the mustache bars being parallel to the ground. I started with mine setup like Bluesdawg's but I found that for me and for that particular stem setup that they did put my wrists at a bad angle. I lifted the ends in small increments and road for a while until I got where they were comfy for me. In the end they ended up being very slightly front end down with a barely detectable slope down to the front on the outer portions. At this angle my hands fit in a very natural way for this setup and my hand shape. If I altered the stem I have no doubt the preffered angle would change. Right now the outer portions of the bars are about an inch to inch and a half below the saddle. Raise the bars up and the angle would likely move to more like BluesDawg's setup.

So don't be afraid to play with them to suit yourself.
Old 10-08-08, 09:53 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for indulging me in my endless thought process.

BD and roadfix -- Nice bikes, and the bars suit them nicely. Are yours the Nittos?

late: The LBS where I bought the LHT showed me those h-bars and I liked them a lot. I could use the stock bar-ends and levers which is my preference.

BCrider: Thank you for your input.

Tom: Thanks for just checking in.

In my mind, it seems that if I like riding on the hoods or the sides of the drop bars a lot, then if I could get the moustache bars in a position so that the outer portions are more or less in the same place relative to where the sides of the drop bars are, but slightly back, then that would work.

I hate the idea of trying one thing and then another and then another and make a lot of costly replacements. But won't know unless I try.

Thanks a bunch, everyone.
Old 10-09-08, 12:06 AM

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Cannondale ST400, Trek 520

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go with the moustache bars I switched both my bikes over and glad I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
new bike 009.jpg (99.3 KB, 85 views)

Trek 930
1988 Cannondale ST400
Old 10-09-08, 01:13 AM
hello

Yes Jen, they're Nittos.

If you decide to go with them make sure you get the right clamp diameter bars to match whatever stem (road 26mm, or mountain 25.4mm) you'll be using. The stock LHT comes with a 26mm road stem.
The Nitto moustache bars come in either 26mm or 25.4mm clamp diameters.
Old 10-09-08, 03:47 AM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great thread! I'm taking notes for my next bike purchase. Thanks, Jen and everyone! Can't wait to see pictures of your new bike, Jen.
Old 10-09-08, 04:17 AM
just keep riding

Yep. Nitto Moustache bar and Nitto Dirt Drop stem on mine.
Old 10-09-08, 06:38 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TruF
Great thread! I'm taking notes for my next bike purchase. Thanks, Jen and everyone! Can't wait to see pictures of your new bike, Jen.
Well then, I'm glad I'm continuing to beat this drum.

Thanks everyone.

Anyone have a favorite bag you attach on the front of your moustache bars? If I ride at night (and I will), I'll need room for a light. And a computer. This never ends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.