Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Mallorca Spain Cycling Vacation Ride Report

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-08, 10:02 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts

Last year, Velodiva and I did a Tuscany tour organized by Santana Cycles, the manufacturer of our tandem. We had so much fun, we decided to do a similar cycling vacation on our tandem joining Santana Cycles on a tour of Mallorac Spain. Mallorca, an island east of Spain in the Mediterranean Sea, is a well known destination for Europeans but little known by Americans. It is very cycling friendly and all of Europe’s pro cycling teams start their season in Mallorca. Mallorca offers cyclists many choices of terrain but features hilly venues and routes and climbs that are truly epic.

Santana offers a pre-tour commencing in Madrid, Spain, but we did our own "pre-tour" and spent two nights in Mallorca before the actual tour started on Saturday (Oct. 11). All of our flights inbound and outbound were flawless and on schedule. We had a tight connection from Madrid to Palma so our tandem came on the next flight - it was delivered to the hotel by 5 PM the same day, so in some respects that "glitch" saved us hauling it from the airport to the hotel. On Friday (Oct. 10) morning we built the tandem on the tennis courts and did a nice 25 mile ride on our own. That evening we ran into another couple who were on the Tuscany trip with us. They are a very strong tandem team around our ages. We got together with them Saturday morning for a 25 mile ride before the main group arrived at noon from Madrid. They built the bikes poolside (while Velodiva relaxed at the pool)) and I assisted others in assembly. Then we all did a 25 mile intro ride, so we did 50 miles that day. The hotel was fantastic and sat on a hillside overlooking the sea - meaning each ride ended with a nice short steep climb.

We stayed in three different hotels - all five star, and the other two were right on the beach. They had fantastic spa facilities (sauna, steam, combination steam/sauna/salt rooms, etc. - all very upscale) which felt great after the rides. There were only 10 couples total and that included us. Four of the couples were from our area (the SF Peninsula/Santa Cruz). We rode primarily with the couple we met with on Friday. Mark, who is a great cyclist, really pushed it on the flats where we averaged 20-24 mph and we pushed it on the climbs. Since lunch and other events were scheduled based upon average speeds of 10 mph, we left later and stopped for coffee often, The hardest day was Sunday when we did the epic Col de Soller with dozens of switchbacks - we did 55 miles and 6500 feet of climbing. That day we had lunch atop a cliff overlooking the sea.

We really got lucky with the weather – we were really bummed out the week before - the 7 day forecast for Palma was rain, rain, rain, wind and thunderstorms. We packed our foul weather clothes and were prepared for the worst. The weather started out unsettled with one morning of wet roads (Monday) but it cleared to sunshine by lunch. The rest of the week was high 70's and partly sunny to sunny - perfecto! Interestingly, we encountered no other American tourists the whole week - mainly Germans and some Brits.

As you can see from the photos below - there was no lack of cappuccino stops! The food was very good but could not compare to Tuscany – Italy, IOHO, has the best for food! We did enjoy some fantastic Rioja and Mallorcan red wine. We stopped at a nice leather factory and Majorcan pearl factory along one of the rides for some interesting shopping. Friday we also toured a cave. For us the best ride day was the ride to the Formentor lighthouse on Wed. - After a 3.5 mile challenging climb with switchbacks, we did another climb called the Devil's Tail along these craggy mountains to the lighthouse - it was breathtaking. Most of the people took a ferry out and back to avoid the first climb. We did take the ferry back knowing we had a 55 mile ride the next day.

We ended up doing 350 miles over the 8 days with over 35,000 feet of climbing. We would definitely go back and highly recommend a Mallorca cycling trip.

View from our hotel balcony in Palma.

Building bikes

The route over the Col de Soller

Switchbacks of the Col de Soller. There were 32 switchback to climb and descend the Soller. The average grade was 5.75%. The climb and descent over the top into the valley was truly epic and culminated in lunch on the cliffs by the sea.

The four of us at the top

View from our lunch table.

Lunch at the harbor on a sort of recovery day after the Soller.
Old 10-24-08, 10:03 AM
Version 7.0

The route to Cape Formentor

Climbing on the way to Cape Formentor

The goal of reaching the lighthouse via the Devil’s tail.

At the lighthouse

It is always a good idea to bring your own podium girls. So far, I have not been able to earn a trip to a podium with podium girls supplied by a race organizer.

Lighthouse in the distance
Old 10-24-08, 10:03 AM
Version 7.0

Beach waiting for the Ferry.

Old fashioned windmills along the road

One of many stops for coffee.

The fortress.

Sunset at final hotel

My wife in non-cycling attire.
Old 10-24-08, 10:25 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Nice trip. Thanks for posting the pictures.
Old 10-24-08, 10:56 AM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was just checking out the satellite pictures on google maps of the road to the Formentor lighthouse. Is that a tunnel which dives through a cliff at the bottom of the road down near the coast.
Old 10-24-08, 11:02 AM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Cone Wrench
I was just checking out the satellite pictures on google maps of the road to the Formentor lighthouse. Is that a tunnel which dives through a cliff at the bottom of the road down near the coast.
Well, there is a tunnel that we cycled through but I would not say it was near the coast. We went through it right after the picture of us stopped on the climb. The tunnel was very dark and narrow. I kept focused on the light at the end and hoped for smooth road below.
Old 10-24-08, 11:07 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the fine pictures.
Old 10-24-08, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lovely, just lovely. Wow.

So, you're a Webcor guy, huh? I ever see you at the General Store?
Old 10-24-08, 11:33 AM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
Lovely, just lovely. Wow.

So, you're a Webcor guy, huh? I ever see you at the General Store?
Yes both Velodiva and I belong to Webcor/Altovelo. I assume you mean the San Gregorio General Store and I do not know. We have been there a couple of times riding when we ride to the coast over Skyline.
Old 10-24-08, 12:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Yes both Velodiva and I belong to Webcor/Altovelo. I assume you mean the San Gregorio General Store and I do not know. We have been there a couple of times riding when we ride to the coast over Skyline.
That is exactly what I mean
My band plays there once a month (the 'brunch gig" as we call it) and I've seen the jerseys.
Could be anybody, I know...
Old 10-24-08, 02:14 PM

Bikes: 2 Raleigh Sprints. 1 Saracen tourer. dawes Galaxy, 1985 Harry Hall racer, 1991 Raleigh Special Products 853 Race bike. 1985 Raleigh Royal

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glad you enjoyed the Island. This is a picture of my Raleigh in Palma. The bike lives permanently over there at my sisters Finca. I think it is a cyclists paradise and ride there at least 4 times a year. 2 hours flying time from UK. Wonderful.
Old 10-24-08, 04:05 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Please do not post pictures of vacations and rides in places I cannot go. It makes me envious.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 10-24-08, 04:28 PM
Version 7.0

Here is the total route.

Old 10-24-08, 04:43 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
What a magnificent trip!
Old 10-24-08, 05:09 PM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the report and the photos. We have been thinking of going to Spain next March and now I am sure I want to go. However, being averse to hills, it wouldn't be a cycling vacation.

I can't help but follow the weather reports before a trip, and the last two times to Europe the weather has been awful. Each time it was good once we got there. We were lucky, but it might be best to not look at the forecasts and fret.
Old 10-24-08, 05:27 PM

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great trip, thanks for sharing the report and pics.
Old 10-24-08, 06:34 PM

Bikes: 04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
Please do not post pictures of vacations and rides in places I cannot go. It makes me envious.
+1......what a fabulous trip, really breathtaking!

I hate you guys!
Old 10-24-08, 07:34 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
WOW and I'm jealous too.
Old 10-24-08, 08:05 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
My first wife's parents had a house in the mountain above Puerto de Soller. We spent a fair amount of time in Mallorca and Ibiza. Wasn't a cyclist back then. Thanks for the pictures and the memories.
Old 10-24-08, 09:36 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
How the other 2% lives.
Old 10-24-08, 09:58 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Looks like a great trip.

My LBS owner and his son went there in the spring w/their bikes...had a similarly fantastic time.
Old 10-24-08, 10:45 PM
lube addict

Bikes: Specialized FSR-XC, Optima Baron, Bianchi Pista, Strida 5.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
No, no - not envy! When one of us shares, we all rejoice! Become a member of the 4V Club: Vicarious Virtual Velocipedic Vacation.
Old 10-26-08, 10:37 AM

Bikes: Cannondale, Bike Friday, Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great photos, WOW, what a trip. You really did a great job documenting it. Thanks