Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Comprehensive 50+ physical, nutritional and emotional fitness thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-08, 07:29 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

COMPREHENSIVE 50+ PHYSICAL, NUTRITIONAL AND EMOTIONAL FITNESS THREAD

I don't know if this thread is going to go anywhere, but I thought I would give it a shot. We have discussed a lot of these items in the past in a variety of threads, so I thought I would put it all together into one. If it doesn't work, it is just one more hiccough on an internet cable. If folks are interested, it may be worthwhile. So, here goes!

Your comments, thoughts, reactions welcomed and encouraged.

Over the past few years, my emphasis has changed from bicycling or bicycling and weight lifting, to a more comprehensive perspective of "fitness."

In the physical area, I have now developed a program consisting of the following:

Bicycling outside whenever possible
Stretching after warmups
Swimming
Power Walking (I really can't run anymore, nor do I want to)
Weight lifting and muscle conditioning
Spinning (in winter)

Here is a course being offered at our rec center I will be taking starting in January

Mens Power Hour

Attention all men: Are you looking for a break from the old weight room routine that you’ve been using for awhile? This class is a challenging, intense hour geared just for you! With hurdles, plyometrics, ladders, medicine balls and more, look to improve your strength, power, endurance, speed and agility. Get a total body workout before the sun even comes up! This is a FREE class that starts Wednesday, January 7, 2009!

Also on the "physcial" side - Blood Pressure is great, Cholesterol is great, PSA great. My weight is not perfect, but not too bad - most is muscle.

===========================================================

On the "Emotional" side, I have developed a cadre of friends - especially in our singing group - which provides a nice "support" system, and the singing itself is a nice emotional support. We still attend our church, and are in a couple of choirs. However, right now the church is going through some difficult personality issues re: the head minister vs about 100 folks in the church, which makes things a bit unpleasant. Also, I have my two sons and wife providing family connections and support. On the negative, my wife is going through some physical problems associated with aging, and her music group disappeared in an unfriendly way and she is feeling the loss. I try to support her as best as I can. She also has professional help from time-to-time.

=======================================

On the Nutritional Side, we are trying to eat much better, but, still, my sweet tooth is my downfall. We keep our fats limited, eat whole grains, that kind of thing.

I will never be one to carefully count vitamins, minerals, etc. Doesn't fit my personality style at all.

=====================================================

Somethings I think are missing?

Balance activities
Some sort of Pilates or similar training
Stop eating ice cream - yum!

And I am sure other things.

Yoga - NEVER for me. My body is simply NOT a Yoga body. Hate it.

====================================================

So, what about you?

Any interest in a discussion about overall fitness for 50+'rs?

Is this important to you?

Do you think about it much?

I am interested in seeing if there are any responses, and, if so, of their content.

And, if no one reads it or responds, it was useful to me just as a planning tool to write this post.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-08-08 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-08-08, 08:19 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Hey Denver! You try so hard to live a healthy life. You make me feel guilty about my hedonistic lifestyle.
Old 11-08-08, 08:21 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Hey Denver! You try so hard to live a healthy life. You make me feel guilty about my hedonistic lifestyle.
Yeah!

I have succeeded in my real, secret goal!

(I really didn't think this thread would go anywhere, anyways.)

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-08-08 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-08-08, 08:29 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not too worried about my diet- personal fitness and I am happy with the emotional side.

Personal fitness is down to me and as I enjoy riding- I combine the Keeping fit with with the riding so try to make at least part of the ride as Fitness training instead of just turning the pedals. Diet and I love HOME Cooking. Wife knows about my sweet tooth so she keeps them away from me abut all food is prepared from good wholesome-organic if possible- base foods. No pre-prepared in a packet but cook at home stuff.

Where I do feel lucky is that I have a good family- neighbours and work colleagues. I may get annoyed with some of them at times but emotionally - I have no problems. If I do- I go and annoy the neighbours.

And to be honest- I feel very lucky in that I can get my mind away from all the problems that will confront me in my life. All I have to do is log in to 50+ and read the uterrings of DG and I feel very contented. And just so the rest of you don't feel left out- And the utterings of all the rest of you aswell. Beats the kindergarten forums any day.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-08-08, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam
I love HOME Cooking. Wife knows about my sweet tooth so she keeps them away from me abut all food is prepared from good wholesome-organic if possible- base foods. No pre-prepared in a packet but cook at home stuff.
Hmmm. After reading that I think that I'll make a run down to the grocery and cook up a pot of chili while my wife is out. It won't be particularly wholesome or organic, but it'll be GOOD.

Besides, my wife gets amorous when I cook.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 11-08-08 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-08-08, 09:45 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm interested, it's important to me, and I think about it a lot. In fact, I think a summary of our thoughts and ideas is worthy of a new sticky.

A good balance of regular, almost-daily exercise and a healthy diet are unbeatable for increased energy, strength and endurance; fewer aches and pains and other age-related ailments (e.g. acid reflux); lower stress; total or partial control of some diseases (diabetes, high BP); faster recovery after surgery and during medical treatments (such as chemo, and some of you are living testimonies to that); better mental outlook; improved sleep... the list goes on. In my opinion it is the magic bullet everyone is seeking, but it requires perseverance!

Rather than "exercising" just to lose weight, make physical activity a lifestyle; determine to do something almost every day for at least 30-60 minutes... more if you can, and 20 minutes is better than none if that's all the time you have. Just go do it, don't think about it too much.... make it part of your life just as taking a shower and brushing your teeth are something you do without thinking about it or putting it off until the next day.

About weight loss: It takes more than just a lot of exercise to lose weight and maintain it -- it takes daily (if not hourly) strong self-control over choices of foods and portion sizes...... it doesn't happen on its own.

Stay active and, equally important, be involved with people to some degree.

That's all for now.
Old 11-08-08, 12:47 PM

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Last year for some reason (I really don't know why) I decided that it was time to introduce more fitness to my life. I started small with simply doing more and regular exercise. Luckily, we had a banner year for xx skiing and I took up the sport again for the first time in many, many years. I started to ride in the spring and put more miles on this summer than ever before.

The exercise eventually led to weight loss (about 40 lbs now), but I didn't make that a focus. The general feeling of wellness got me more interested in what was going on with my body, so I read "Younger Next Year" which was an inspiration to continue. Now I'm more interested (focused seems too strong) on what I'm putting in my mouth. Exercise has become a regular routine for me, so that's good. Diet continues to improve.

Weakest area for me is social involvement; it's just not part of who I am. Working on it though!

Bottom line: In the last 11 months I have gone through a huge transition. My blood numbers went from "moderate risk" to darn healthy. I dropped 40 lbs and I care about what I eat, though don't obsess about it. I have more energy and more focus. It's great!

I have to add that a contributing factor includes participating in forums like this. Knowingly or not, you are a great support network (group hug). Now it's off for a spin on the trainer.

Tony
Old 11-08-08, 12:50 PM

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
Rather than "exercising" just to lose weight, make physical activity a lifestyle;
+1.

Last year I mainly shovelled snow by hand and saved the blower for only the really big storms. There are many ways to "sneak" some exercise in to your regular day.
Old 11-08-08, 01:40 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Yen
Rather than "exercising" just to lose weight, make physical activity a lifestyle;
Which brings me back to that "Simple Biking" thread.

I really have used my "simple" bicycling (or walking) - whenever possible - as a lifestyle change. Purposely, we chose to live where things are reasonably close and easy to get to, with lots of bicycle trails, etc.

I use the bike for shopping, banking, getting to the gym, getting to church, etc., etc. It really does add up. Or, if I don't want to bike, or it is snowing, etc., I walk.

Just 10 miles per day = 3,650 miles per year in utility (simple) bicycling, alone.

Neither my wife nor I can sleep at night unless we have at least an hour of physical exercise in one form or another.
Old 11-08-08, 02:17 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yen
be involved with people to some degree.
There's a lot of research in an area called "social network analysis" to support this. If you've got a strong social network, you have greatly improved odds for improved health, career success, and happiness.
Old 11-08-08, 04:12 PM
Bill

Bikes: Specialized Globe Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks DnvrFox for starting this!

I'll be watching it and maybe contributing from time to time. Unfortunately (or fortunately as the case may be) much in the fitness arena lends itself to obsession and/or snake oil fixes that lead us into either more stress or misleading tangents. I will have to say based on my experience and reading the most viable ( at least for me ) approach is research, moderation, and consistency, an open mind, and more research. I'm always learning but admitedly we all have our biases and that is not all bad. As much bad press as 'bias' gets it is not as bad as it's made out to be if properly coupled with 'research, moderation, and consistency, an open mind, and more research'.

I would like to see (as much as possible) the ideas presented here be coupled with links to credible research to support it - mostly for my own learning. I'm sure there won't be agreement on all that is said but "The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement" (Karl R. Popper, 1902-1994)
Old 11-08-08, 04:58 PM
Banned.

Well, to actually use research as a basis for our fitness decisions would be a novel idea, indeed.

One of my experiences in using research is that much research disagrees with other research, and one has to find one's own way through the whole mess.

However, one thing that I do KNOW for sure is my own energy level, how I feel, and such things as endurance, strength, ability to sleep, blood pressure, cholesterol, weight, etc. - all things that can be measured in one way or another, and a way in which I can balance decisions I make against their corresponding measurable results and effects.

I guess I consider myself my own little research paradigm.

Anyone got some decent research?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-08-08 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-08-08, 06:06 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
So, what about you?

Any interest in a discussion about overall fitness for 50+'rs?
Is this important to you? - I have no interest in discussing other BF'ers overall fitness programs; only interested in discussion of bicycling topics or issues directly relating to bicycling by 50+'ers. Obviously my thoughts on focus on bicycling are in the minority on this list.

Do you think about it much? No

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 11-08-08 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-08-08, 06:10 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Is this important to you? I have no interest in discussing other BF'ers overall fitness programs; only interested in discussion of bicycling topics or issues directly relating to bicycling by 50+'ers. Obviously my thoughts on focus are in the minority on this list.

Do you think about it much? No
Then it would appear to be appropriate for you to ignore this thread.
Old 11-08-08, 06:12 PM

Another question might be: "What are you trying to accomplish?"
Old 11-08-08, 06:16 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Another question might be: "What are you trying to accomplish?"

Me?

ILTB?

A fitness program?
Old 11-08-08, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
I have lost 30+ by bicycling alone. I like to run but was too fat, just now getting back into it. I turn 49 next week and going to Jamaica the week after. I have long planned to overhaul my workout and diet when I get back. I am just over 200 but should be <170. I really have nothing to add but am posting to keep track of the thread. I think the OP is on the right track.
Old 11-08-08, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Old 11-08-08, 06:38 PM
Been Around Awhile

You asked a question and I gave an honest answer. Apparently you are only interested in answers that praise your proposal.
Old 11-08-08, 06:47 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
I take vitamin "H" each day that I ride.
Mmmm Hot dogs.

Old 11-08-08, 06:53 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You asked a question and I gave an honest answer. Apparently you are only interested in answers that praise your proposal.
Fair enough.

My apologies
Old 11-08-08, 06:59 PM
Been Around Awhile

Fair enough.

My apologies
Graciously accepted.
Old 11-08-08, 07:16 PM
Gray Haired Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[b]
On the Nutritional Side, we are trying to eat much better, but, still, my sweet tooth is my downfall. We keep our fats limited, eat whole grains, that kind of thing.
Oh boy...don't know if I really want to get started on a cycling forum but I'll throw out a quick jab.

I eat over 50% fat--the fear of fat is groundless (based on bad science).

Since the government came out with their food pyramid promoting grains, Type II diabetes has become a virtual epidemic.

Get hold of a copy of Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes.

In the meantime, this post spells out the program I am following for getting fit over 50:

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-...mal-blueprint/

Now we take you back to your regularly scheduled cycling discussion.

Last edited by dclaryjr; 11-08-08 at 09:17 PM. Reason: changed where I said "my Program" to "the program I am following"
Old 11-08-08, 08:32 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Neither my wife nor I can sleep at night unless we have at least an hour of physical exercise in one form or another.
Let me get this right. You two go to bed but you can't get to sleep unless you have an hour of physical exercise first ...

Richard
Old 11-08-08, 09:21 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
TMI!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.