Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

BFN 50+ First Annual Ride - Monday, August 31

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

BFN 50+ First Annual Ride - Monday, August 31

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-08, 09:26 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Hey, DF!

Any chance of negotiating a group rate with that motor inn you mentioned, and perhaps getting us a block of rooms on the ground floor (for easier roll-in, roll-out, and to facilitate off-bike mingling)? I don't know if "family-owned" will make it easier or harder in negotiating.

This past summer in Loveland, they negotiated a group rate at a regular hotel, and most of us had rooms in the same hallway on the first floor, right off the lobby. Made it real nice and kept the wedding people at bay. (The place specialized in wedding receptions, and there were two that weekend.)
Old 11-24-08, 10:31 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Hey, DF!

Any chance of negotiating a group rate with that motor inn you mentioned, and perhaps getting us a block of rooms on the ground floor (for easier roll-in, roll-out, and to facilitate off-bike mingling)? I don't know if "family-owned" will make it easier or harder in negotiating.

This past summer in Loveland, they negotiated a group rate at a regular hotel, and most of us had rooms in the same hallway on the first floor, right off the lobby. Made it real nice and kept the wedding people at bay. (The place specialized in wedding receptions, and there were two that weekend.)
It's worth a shot, as we get closer to finalizing how many and who.
Old 11-25-08, 04:44 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Sounds like a great plan Dnvr.
Old 11-26-08, 06:24 AM
I have senior moments...

Bikes: Many

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Any singletrack adventures on this trip?
Old 11-26-08, 03:24 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by bikinfool
Any singletrack adventures on this trip?
Fruita, near Grand Junction, is one of the premier MTB places in the country.

https://www.gjmountainbiking.com/

Also, here is a link to 43 MTB trails right near Glenwood Springs.

https://www.wildernet.com/pages/recty...ntain%20Biking
Old 11-26-08, 07:38 PM
I have senior moments...

Bikes: Many

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Fruita, near Grand Junction, is one of the premier MTB places in the country.

https://www.gjmountainbiking.com/

Also, here is a link to 43 MTB trails right near Glenwood Springs.

https://www.wildernet.com/pages/recty...ntain%20Biking
I've ridden a lot of Colorado's singletrack, spent each July there from 2001-2006, that's why I was wondering if there was any singletrack adventures planned for this trip or if it was just riding on pavement...
don't mind bringing two bikes but usually leave the road bike at home when I go to Colorado.
Old 11-26-08, 08:00 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by bikinfool
I've ridden a lot of Colorado's singletrack, spent each July there from 2001-2006, that's why I was wondering if there was any singletrack adventures planned for this trip or if it was just riding on pavement...
don't mind bringing two bikes but usually leave the road bike at home when I go to Colorado.
Well, it is 10 months away. I think just about anything is possible if folks have an interest.

Why not talk it up a bit!
Old 11-27-08, 08:31 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

For those of us who "Ride, Log, Repeat" at BikeJournal.com, I've added this to the BikeJournal Organized Rides for 2009.

Join it here.
Old 11-27-08, 08:48 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
For those of us who "Ride, Log, Repeat" at BikeJournal.com, I've added this to the BikeJournal Organized Rides for 2009.

Join it here.
Thanks. I don't log my mileage on the website but I do use it to keep track of rides I plan to do.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-28-08, 03:28 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
I'm your Man!!

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
My attendance is unlikely, but if I came, would anyone in the party be riding at a very leisurely pace. I don't like to participate in group rides because everyone wants to ride at a faster pace than I do. And, as I've written many times, I am prone to making frequent stops. Which would surely be the case at this beautiful locale.

I see the ride one-way is 44 miles. In all likelihood, I would take about 4.5 hours to cover that distance. Whereas many others even at what they consider to be a casual pace, would take 3 hours or less.

I would hate to slow everyone down. So if I did come, I would expect to see everyone at the social activities, but no so much on the ride itself. Unless there was another overly pokey person. Not that I mind riding by myself, as it has been 17 months since I rode with anyone else.
LOL, well I'm probably going to be at your "level", I may still be riding a POS Roadmaster Mnt. Sport SX MTB from Wally-Mart and I just started riding a bicycle again a couple of months ago! I figure my wife will be even slower than I as she doesn't get much time to ride. Infact she might just do the Glennwood Canyon Trail (32miles RT) and not the New 88 mile RT trail ride. I'm sure there would be someone who's your speed being that we are all 50+!

Old 11-28-08, 05:39 PM
Banned.

Updated Chart

I am not sure about Colorado Dale, as he had stated he could not make the weekend??

Please advise me gently by PM if I have you in the wrong category. I am also not sure about MUD.

Use ^F5 to be sure you are seeing the latest update.

Old 11-28-08, 07:14 PM
mud
Lurker

Bikes: 07 Fuji Professional 2.0, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have every intention of making the trip. I am not sure about my wife coming along, I'll be coming from the St Louis area.
Mud
Old 11-28-08, 07:17 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by mud
I have every intention of making the trip. I am not sure about my wife coming along, I'll be coming from the St Louis area.
Mud

Thanks. I will update as soon as I hear from others I may have wrong.
Old 11-28-08, 09:52 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I are planning on being there.
Old 11-28-08, 10:03 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Bud Bent
My wife and I are planning on being there.
OK - I will add you.
Old 11-29-08, 08:41 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
My attendance is unlikely, but if I came, would anyone in the party be riding at a very leisurely pace. I don't like to participate in group rides because everyone wants to ride at a faster pace than I do. And, as I've written many times, I am prone to making frequent stops. Which would surely be the case at this beautiful locale.

I see the ride one-way is 44 miles. In all likelihood, I would take about 4.5 hours to cover that distance. Whereas many others even at what they consider to be a casual pace, would take 3 hours or less.

I would hate to slow everyone down. So if I did come, I would expect to see everyone at the social activities, but no so much on the ride itself. Unless there was another overly pokey person. Not that I mind riding by myself, as it has been 17 months since I rode with anyone else.
Tom, if I make the ride, I would probably be riding at that same pace. I'd be glad to hang back with you.

Road Fan
Old 11-29-08, 08:50 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
DnverFox, I have some changes.

First, Mrs. Road Fan will not be coming, due to the school year begins right around Labor Day. We can't find out this much in advance what the next school year schedule is. I also haven't gotten confirmation from my cousin. So put me down as 1 in column 1 and 1 in column 2, if you don't mind.

I still hope to come to the ride, but now I have a driving dilemma, since it might be a solo 2-day drive each way. I may have a passenger/co-driver, but it's not settled and it won't be for a while. So I'm glad you marked your first column as you did - I'm 75% positive I'm coming.

I want to add my appreciation and thanks for taking this on. I lead the setup of a Classic and Vintage ride here in Ann Arbor last summer, and it was a lot of time spent to get everyone the information and adjust the plan to accommodate needs and wants, and to ask others to do their various parts of the plan. There were a lot of last minute changes in commitment - luckily it was a local ride, so no money issues emerged.

Again thanks! I hope you will find this rewarding, I did!!!!

Road Fan
Old 11-29-08, 08:56 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Sounds like fun but the Grouch is going to take a pass.

That's our wedding anniversary (46th) and driving that far with Mrs. Grouch for the weekend sounds like a bit much.
Old 11-29-08, 11:36 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to be added to the list as 2 maybes, please. Thanks!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 11-29-08, 05:08 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Road Fan
DnverFox, I have some changes.

First, Mrs. Road Fan will not be coming, due to the school year begins right around Labor Day. We can't find out this much in advance what the next school year schedule is. I also haven't gotten confirmation from my cousin. So put me down as 1 in column 1 and 1 in column 2, if you don't mind.

I still hope to come to the ride, but now I have a driving dilemma, since it might be a solo 2-day drive each way. I may have a passenger/co-driver, but it's not settled and it won't be for a while. So I'm glad you marked your first column as you did - I'm 75% positive I'm coming.

I want to add my appreciation and thanks for taking this on. I lead the setup of a Classic and Vintage ride here in Ann Arbor last summer, and it was a lot of time spent to get everyone the information and adjust the plan to accommodate needs and wants, and to ask others to do their various parts of the plan. There were a lot of last minute changes in commitment - luckily it was a local ride, so no money issues emerged.

Again thanks! I hope you will find this rewarding, I did!!!!

Road Fan
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I'd like to be added to the list as 2 maybes, please. Thanks!
Thanks, Road Fan. One of my hopes is to keep this relatively simple, and not too much work for anyone. The easiest thing to do would be to simply state "The Annual Ride will be . . . " and make your own arrangements then show up or not. From there on it can get as complicated as one might like. I don't want to get much more complicated than it is right now.

Also, I believe that there are folks herein who would willingly help with other arrangements, such as the group motel arrangements (if any) and a dinner (again, if any). So, I will likely be calling on volunteers to assist down the line. In my music singing group, if no one volunteers, it just doesn't happen!!

Changes Done
Old 11-30-08, 03:48 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
The way it's looking for me now is that I'll take the Amtrak to Grand Junction, arriving on Monday August 24.
Does Amtrak welcome bikes? How close is Grand Junction to Glenwood Springs?

Dnvr -- you could put me down as a very tentative possible for two people. It sounds tempting and the 31st is my birthday
Old 11-30-08, 04:42 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by donheff
Does Amtrak welcome bikes? How close is Grand Junction to Glenwood Springs?

Dnvr -- you could put me down as a very tentative possible for two people. It sounds tempting and the 31st is my birthday
The Amtrak stops right in the middle of Glenwood Springs.

tsl is going further to Grand Junction because he wants to ride the exciting and challenging Colorado Monument.
Old 11-30-08, 05:16 PM
Banned.

According to tsl, Amtrak is very bike friendly, and only soemting like $5 more for the bike, and $15 for the bike box, as I recall.

He posted this somewhere in the "ride" thread.
Old 11-30-08, 06:56 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
According to tsl, Amtrak is very bike friendly, and only soemting like $5 more for the bike, and $15 for the bike box, as I recall.
Correct.
  1. Take your bike to the station along with a 5mm and a pedal wrench.
  2. Buy their bike box for $15. DO NOT use an airline box. That makes it too heavy and they'll reject it. (I know this from experience.) You could use an LBS cardboard bike box, but they're smaller and require a ton of disassembly.
  3. Remove the pedals, clip them to your shoes.
  4. Loosen the headset, turn sideways and re-tighten.
  5. Roll the bike into the box and tape it shut. (They supply the tape too.)
  6. Label the box, and give it to the friendly baggage agent. (They'll lend you a marker.)
  7. Pay $5 for the checked-baggage fee. All checked bags are $5. Like all checked baggage, it was checked through to my final destination. I didn't have to mess with it at all when I changed trains in Chicago.
  8. At your destination, ask if they'll save your box for you to use on the return trip. They did for me.
  9. At your home station, ask them to keep the box and give it to someone who can't afford one.

Optional:
  • You can buy up to $2,500 insurance.
  • I left my rack and trunk bag on the bike. I put my tools and shoes inside the trunk bag and bungeed my helmet to it. I even left on my pump, lights, battery packs, and bottles (empty) in the cages.

The Amtrak baggage handlers are very good with bikes. It was loaded on the cart by hand, which was wheeled out to the train and loaded in the baggage car by hand. (I got to see inside the baggage car and they're strapped to the wall, standing up on their wheels.) At the other end, they kept the bikes (Note the plural) on the baggage cart until they got the claim-check. Then they handed it to me. No sliding down the baggage chute for bikes!

My bike was ready to ride right out of the station after I reattached my pedals and turned the bars straight. That part was a real treat.

DF is also right about my destination.

I'm coming out a few days early and riding the train 88 miles past Glenwood Springs (GSC) to Grand Junction (GJT). I'll ride there for a few days before riding the bike upriver to GSC. I'll return to ROC from GSC.

The other thing I'll do this time is take a small duffle with carry-on stuff (some clothes, personal care stuff, camera, book) and check my panniers through. I had a few hours to kill between trains and--trust me on this--carrying loaded panniers up the Sears Tower is no picnic.

Last edited by tsl; 11-30-08 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-01-08, 06:55 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Thanks tsl, that sounds pretty easy. We just may do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.