Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What to do, what to do?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What to do, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-08, 08:44 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
What to do, what to do?

I need a winter project.

I was just down in my shop looking over my bikes and came to the conslusion that I didn't want to change anything on any of them. I think that they're all perfect just the way they are.

I'm not really interested in adding another to my fleet although, for some reason, the letter "R" keeps going through my head. Now what could that possibly stand for? Anybody have a recumbent frame to sell? If so, you get bonus points for 24" wheels but I'm not willing to pay very much.

I'm toying with a new rattle can red/orange/yellow paint job for the fixed gear to match the handlebar tape. (How's that for wagging the dog?) If I decide that I don't like it I can always do it over again next year. I wonder if my vinyl sticker maker can laser cut some masking stencils for me.

Anybody have any other bicycle project ideas? They don't have to make sense. In fact, the less logical sense that it makes, the more likely it will trigger my imagination.

What to do, what to do?
Old 11-26-08, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
How about doing a build or two that you just give away to some local kid? It doesn't have to be an expensive one. My experience is that you can pick up some very useable bikes at yard sales and the like for $20 - $40. Often they just need cleaning, new cables, lubrication and new grease in the bearings and they are road worthy. The first bike I gave away like this was well worth the time and effort just to see the look on the kid's face.
Old 11-26-08, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by NOS88
How about doing a build or two that you just give away to some local kid? It doesn't have to be an expensive one. My experience is that you can pick up some very useable bikes at yard sales and the like for $20 - $40. Often they just need cleaning, new cables, lubrication and new grease in the bearings and they are road worthy. The first bike I gave away like this was well worth the time and effort just to see the look on the kid's face.
I've done some of that. The problem is that my standards are too high. I'm not interested in just cleaning and maybe new cables and brake pads. That's work. I hate work. I want to play. I want to repaint the frame, lace up a kick ass wheelset, stuff like that. I can turn a $40.00 junker into a $400.00, not all that much better, marginally upgraded junker real fast.
Old 11-26-08, 09:13 AM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
A fully faired recumbent trike for the cold weather.
Old 11-26-08, 09:20 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Don't know if this is applicable to any of your bikes, but my project for this winter is lacing up some alloy rims on my wife's Brisith 3-Speed wheels, 40h rear 32h front. Of course the S/A hub will stay in the back, but I may put a better hub (maybe with QR!) on the front.

Plus, I need to find some better handlebars for that bike, and possibly a new stem.

All the other bikes are fine.

Rick / OCRR
Old 11-26-08, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
A fully faired recumbent trike for the cold weather.
Now there's an idea!

Lots of new skills to learn - fiberglass lay up, how to mount the body. Lots of area for cool paint graphics. Probably not terrifically practical but who cares?

Convincing the wife that $3,000 for a tadpole trike kit to use as a starting point might take the whole winter by itself.
Old 11-26-08, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Don't know if this is applicable to any of your bikes, but my project for this winter is lacing up some alloy rims on my wife's Brisith 3-Speed wheels, 40h rear 32h front. Of course the S/A hub will stay in the back, but I may put a better hub (maybe with QR!) on the front.

Plus, I need to find some better handlebars for that bike, and possibly a new stem.

All the other bikes are fine.

Rick / OCRR
Want to buy (or trade for) a Mavic 40 hole rim? I don't think that i can help with the handlebar or stem.
Old 11-26-08, 10:35 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Retro Grouch,

But I already have the rims, alloy Alex (if I remember right) that I bought from QBP. Lovely rims, still in their foam wrapping. The next step is to measure for spoke length calculation. Will use either DT or Wheelsmith SS, probably straight 14g (2.0 mm).

Rick / OCRR
Old 11-26-08, 11:18 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
With the limited Good weather we are having over here- I think it will be time to strip bikes down to a bare frame and rebuild. Got a couple that I have never done that on yet- so You will probably hear the swearing over there as I try to take out the bottom bracket on the Kona. Last strip down that had was 10 years ago.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-26-08, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam
With the limited Good weather we are having over here- I think it will be time to strip bikes down to a bare frame and rebuild. Got a couple that I have never done that on yet- so You will probably hear the swearing over there as I try to take out the bottom bracket on the Kona. Last strip down that had was 10 years ago.
If it has a Shimano cartridge bottom bracket a genuine Shimano bottom bracket tool will make removing it a breeze.
Old 11-26-08, 12:36 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Do not under any conditions start playing around with Aerobars..... That will open a whole new can of worms.

Strangely enough.....bike painting, home style seems to be in.
Old 11-26-08, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Strangely enough.....bike painting, home style seems to be in.
I think that repainting the fixie is going to be it. My vinyl stick on guy can make me some temporary stickers that have a low tack adhesive. I even have a yellow water bottle cage laying around so the cost for this project should be quite reasonable.

My plan is to paint the whole bike with a white undercoat and cover it with yellow. I'll mask off the lettering and paint the whole bike orange. Then I'll mask off the color bands and paint the bike red. Finally, I'll pull off the masks and spray clear over everything.

A week between colors and a couple of weeks before I reassemble the bike and it just might be Spring.
Old 11-26-08, 01:48 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
If it has a Shimano cartridge bottom bracket a genuine Shimano bottom bracket tool will make removing it a breeze.
10 years of Mud & Crud and I remember who fitted it.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-26-08, 02:19 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I think that repainting the fixie is going to be it. My vinyl stick on guy can make me some temporary stickers that have a low tack adhesive. I even have a yellow water bottle cage laying around so the cost for this project should be quite reasonable.

My plan is to paint the whole bike with a white undercoat and cover it with yellow. I'll mask off the lettering and paint the whole bike orange. Then I'll mask off the color bands and paint the bike red. Finally, I'll pull off the masks and spray clear over everything.

A week between colors and a couple of weeks before I reassemble the bike and it just might be Spring
It sounds beautiful. What brand/type of paint will you use?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-26-08, 04:16 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Now there's an idea!

Lots of new skills to learn - fiberglass lay up, how to mount the body. Lots of area for cool paint graphics. Probably not terrifically practical but who cares?

Convincing the wife that $3,000 for a tadpole trike kit to use as a starting point might take the whole winter by itself.
True!

Start on her now in time for next winter.
Old 11-27-08, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Roody
It sounds beautiful. What brand/type of paint will you use?
I made the decision this morning to buy myself a spray gun and to use auto paint from somewhere. I have a friend who is a body shop painter and who does custom motorcycle painting on the side. My plan is to call him and see what advice he gives me. The real objective here isn't the end result so much as the learning process.
Old 11-27-08, 08:43 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
What size do you ride? There's a great Mondonico frame with fork in 54 cm, on Ebay.

Road Fan
Old 11-27-08, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Road Fan
What size do you ride? There's a great Mondonico frame with fork in 54 cm, on Ebay.
That's a little too small for me. Most people would say that I should ride a 56 but I tend to go up a size because I want a taller head tube.
Old 11-28-08, 11:10 AM

Woo Hoo!

At our family thanksgiving gathering yesterday my son asked if I'd be interested in tradeing a seldom used Park workstand for a used Chris King rear hub. Sounds like a deal to me.

Unfortunately the King hub is 135mm OLD and I need 130mm but, if I remember right, that's just a left side plug axle replacement on a King Hub. We'll see.

In the fortunate column, I already have the right spokes. My left side spokes will be 0.7mm long but that's within the acceptable range. Stub axle and a new Open Pro rim and I should be good-to-go.
Old 11-28-08, 02:56 PM

My son just left.

He should come by more often. He got the Park workstand, a Specialized floor pump, a cassette tool and chainwhip. I also reworked a rear wheel that MIGHT hold together enough for him to ride tomorrow. It's pretty beat up but he's got a new wheelset coming next week.

I got a mountain bike rear wheel with a Chris King hub. It's a wheel that I built for him about 10 years ago and the Rhyno Lite rim is still pretty straight and round. I told him that he has a real good wheelbuilder. He also owns a never used spray gun that I've got my eye on.

My winter projects are beginning to take shape.