Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Off topic but 50+ related

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-28-08, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I just found out that I need to drive my daughter back to college in Albany NY on Sunday. Without much effort I talked the bride into making it a two day trip instead of a marathon 500 mile one day round trip. Now I'm seriously considering driving South of Albany on a little side trip to Bethel NY to visit Max Yasgur's old dairy farm. Never been there before, though I wish I had back in Aug. of '69. I understand there is a museum on the site now and I really want to visit. I assume next summer will be very busy there being the 40 year anniversary and all. (Sure would be neat to ride up on the 'bent, sigh........)
Old 11-28-08, 07:12 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Should be fun. The town of Woodstock still has a hippie vibe.

A bunch of my friends went to Woodstock, but I decided to stay home. I had a job painting a fence that encircled a factory, and somehow I thought it was more important, even though my boss told me I could skip work for a few days.
Old 11-28-08, 09:47 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
Should be fun. The town of Woodstock still has a hippie vibe.

A bunch of my friends went to Woodstock, but I decided to stay home. I had a job painting a fence that encircled a factory, and somehow I thought it was more important, even though my boss told me I could skip work for a few days.
How priorities change with afterthought.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-28-08, 05:42 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I think you should definitely ride the bent! Maybe have your daughter ride a bent too, but with a trailer pulling her stuff. Wait . . . you may need two trailers.

Woodstock sounds like a great place to stop for a rest though!

Rick / OCRR
Old 11-28-08, 07:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The village of Woodstock is an enjoyable visit, and the whole area is worth exploring. I had some business down that way a couple of years ago, and decided to see if I could find The Band's old house, Big Pink. Here it is, not well photographed, but looking much the same as on the album cover:

[IMG][/IMG]

It's a ways up a couple of back roads, so I was glad that I'd searched out the directions some earlier pilgrims had posted on line.
Old 12-01-08, 02:24 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
...... Now I'm seriously considering driving South of Albany on a little side trip to Bethel NY to visit Max Yasgur's old dairy farm. Never been there before, though I wish I had back in Aug. of '69. .....
The weather sucked but we made the trip anyway and I'm glad we did. The museum is O.K. and tries to protray life in the sixties and how the events of that era shaped\affected the future. There was also a good amount of Woodstock Concert bits and pieces such as tickets, old handwritten notes, etc. Many newsreels and films, most of which we've all seen before but nice as an organized on site collection. We drove through snow fluries all the way from Albany to Montecello NY where the precipitation changed over to freezing rain. The entire area around Bethel was a sheet of ice so the pictures we took look a little dreary, I'll bore you with them anyway.

First a picture of a monument overlooking the Festival Site.....

....a couple closeups of the monument.....

And no trip to the site of the Festival so often associated with Love and Peace would be complete without a rainbow, even one taken through the windshield of a Toyota just a couple miles from home.

It felt special to be right there at the site and I'ld love to be able to stroll about a bit on the grounds. We'll definately visit again....during nicer weather.

Happy Trails

Last edited by cranky old dude; 12-01-08 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-01-08, 03:47 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I can still hear Jimmy and the Star Spangled Banner..........