Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   What to do when the weather is not good for riding? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/490740-what-do-when-weather-not-good-riding.html)

staehpj1 12-01-08 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Roody (Post 7944760)
Doesn't HTFU mean harden the frick up? It doesn't seem like you'd have to be very hardened to ride a bike in the winter in TEXAS.

:roflmao2:

I consider the weather here pretty moderate and we have over 2.5 times as many days with a low below freezing than Fort Worth. It really doesn't get cold there. HTFU indeed.

roadfix 12-01-08 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by staehpj1 (Post 7945173)
I too chose to run. I don't mind winter riding, but find the change of pace a good thing. It takes less time to get a good workout when running and with shorter daylight that is a plus. I don't find running helps my riding much though. I do find that my running fitness coupled with some dumbbell work transfers nicely to my rowing performance.

I run too when I'm short on time or when the weather is not so ideal. Running helps my overall cycling performance tremendously. That's probably because I don't use the bicycle as a training tool. Just the thought of training on the bicycle bores me.

BengeBoy 12-01-08 02:09 PM

We're blessed with year-round riding weather in Seattle, as long as one is equipped to ride in the rain. We have a few real "storms" each winter (lots of rain plus high winds), but usually it's just a constant drizzle from November to March. Roads are always wet, but it isn't always falling from the sky.

If you stay out of the heavy winds, the "hardest" days to ride are cold/wet rain - lots of days in January / February are 37 to 39 degrees and raining. If it's colder, it's usually dry.

stapfam 12-01-08 02:52 PM

IF you are prepared to get the right clothing- then cold weather riding can be good. You may slow down a bit with all the weight of clothing and you may not feel like pushing too hard on a wett and slippery road- but Providing there is no Ice- then cold weather riding is better than any other sport.

BUT if you just can't do that- Join a Gym. Treat it like a bike ride and go down at the weekend for a couple of hours Cardio- Vascular- get a coffeee and PIE in somewhere and then do a bit more training in the weights room. Then a couple of sessions in the week and you may be lucky enough to get a spinning session aswell.

Fatefull thing to do is decide it is too cold- or too wet- or I just don't feel like riding----And stop exercise till the spring. Do a full winters riding or Gym work and you will start the spring in peak fiteness.

Unfortunately you go downhill from there as it will be too hot- too humid- or you just don't feel like riding because the grass needs cutting.

dguest 12-01-08 02:57 PM

I do the gym thing 3 days a week even in the summer, We have a gym at work with everything that the local Y has and we even have the good looking nurses that work at the hospital. Some of these nurses can be quite wild. I just posted this to se what kind of replies I would get. I do believe after tomorrow the weather is supposed to improve and should be in the 50's by week end. I will be riding this week end. Got to get ready Wife is taking me out for my birthday today, Yeah I am an official member of the 50 + group as of today.

Roody 12-01-08 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by BengeBoy (Post 7945275)
We're blessed with year-round riding weather in Seattle, as long as one is equipped to ride in the rain. We have a few real "storms" each winter (lots of rain plus high winds), but usually it's just a constant drizzle from November to March. Roads are always wet, but it isn't always falling from the sky.

If you stay out of the heavy winds, the "hardest" days to ride are cold/wet rain - lots of days in January / February are 37 to 39 degrees and raining. If it's colder, it's usually dry.

I'm with you on this, as I wrote early in the thread. Cold rain is very hard to get comfortable in. I have never found comfortable rain gear, unless you pay a fortune for it. OTOH, you can buy excellent snow gear for very little money, but it tends to get soggy in the rain. We usually get cold rains in Sept-Nov and again in late March-April. Nov-March is more likely to be snowy.

To me, comfort is important but it isn't the main thing. It's possible to have fun in any weather, and my bike is almost always the best form of transportation.

Doohickie 12-01-08 10:30 PM

Doesn't HTFU mean harden the frick up? It doesn't seem like you'd have to be very hardened to ride a bike in the winter in TEXAS.

:roflmao2:

True, true.

However, think about how nice and cool it is for the yankees when I'm riding in 100+ weather.

I did grow up in Buffalo, NY, so I know something about cold weather, riding on slushy roads, etc.

And like I said in my post... I'm right on the edge of packing it in for the season. I'm getting too old for this *****. Anyone who hangs up their wheels for the winter-- well, hey, that's cool. You do what you gotta do. And as someone said in a thread I started about riding in bad weather, remember, this is supposed to be fun! If it's a chore, you're doing it wrong!

That said, it's already down to mid-30s here in North Texas; might be a nippy ride tomorrow. We'll see if I HTFU or not. My goal this week is to ride all 5 days; haven't done that since September I think. Maybe October.

Jet Travis 12-02-08 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals (Post 7945064)
Brewing beer is much too important a job to leave it to me.

I'll drink to that.:thumb:

Roody 12-02-08 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Doohickie (Post 7948039)
True, true.

However, think about how nice and cool it is for the yankees when I'm riding in 100+ weather.

I did grow up in Buffalo, NY, so I know something about cold weather, riding on slushy roads, etc.

And like I said in my post... I'm right on the edge of packing it in for the season. I'm getting too old for this *****. Anyone who hangs up their wheels for the winter-- well, hey, that's cool. You do what you gotta do. And as someone said in a thread I started about riding in bad weather, remember, this is supposed to be fun! If it's a chore, you're doing it wrong!

That said, it's already down to mid-30s here in North Texas; might be a nippy ride tomorrow. We'll see if I HTFU or not. My goal this week is to ride all 5 days; haven't done that since September I think. Maybe October.

I don't know how well I'd do in that kind of heat. We don't get above 90F very often, although we do have very humid summers--the hotter the humider. The physiologists say the body physically adapts to heat, but not to cold. OTOH, when it's cold you can put on more clothes. Theres only so many you can take off when it's hot! :D

Anyhoo, from a comfort perspective, I think I'd rather ride Texas in the winter than in the summer. In fact, I'd rather ride Michigan in the winter than Texas in the summer.

Allegheny Jet 12-02-08 11:50 AM

I can't run with my wasted ankle, even if I wanted to, and I would still play basketball. My indoor options are a trainer or the Concept 2 rower. I'll go outside and ride anyday I can and try not to award myself a medal for the effort even though some days are tougher to gather the motivation. One day last year I went ice fishing in the AM and rode 35 miles in the afternoon, my friends thought I was doubly nuts.

Roody 12-02-08 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet (Post 7950482)
One day last year I went ice fishing in the AM and rode 35 miles in the afternoon, my friends thought I was doubly nuts.

No....doubly fun.

I love ice fishermen. When I see them, I know it's safe to ride my bike on the lake.

BikeWNC 12-02-08 02:04 PM

I took this pic from my yard a few minutes ago. Not so great for riding today here in Western NC.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p..._MG_2832-1.jpg

Lonewolf48 12-02-08 06:03 PM

This is the first year i will be trying to ride every day. On the worst days when it's below zero, icyand blowing snow, I might just go five or six miles in the neighborhood. But most days I ride my regular 18-21 miles. Some days I can't because of work/family obligations, etc., but when I can I get out, most days, I do. What I am learning is that, like running, getting out the door in sh*tty weather initially is hard but after doing it for a while can become rewarding, sometimes the beauty is breathtaking. I also like the challenge, can I dress warmly enough? Can I ride safely? Most of my rides are before work which is Wisconsin is also before dawn- good lights and reflective gear are a must. BTW I am 60 and want to HTFU while I still can, LOL.

Roody 12-02-08 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by BikeWNC (Post 7951195)
I took this pic from my yard a few minutes ago. Not so great for riding today here in Western NC.

You're joking, right? It's a clear day, the snow on the mountain is breathtakingly beautiful, there isn't even any snow at your level. I can't imagine a better day to ride in the history of cycling. Is it possible that you don't know how lucky you are to live in that splendor?

BikeWNC 12-02-08 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Roody (Post 7952713)
You're joking, right? It's a clear day, the snow on the mountain is breathtakingly beautiful, there isn't even any snow at your level. I can't imagine a better day to ride in the history of cycling. Is it possible that you don't know how lucky you are to live in that splendor?

Well maybe. :) It is pretty nice here. The problem is in the shady areas that are still icy. Thing is I usually just need to wait a day and it will be better. It's supposed to be in the upper 50s tomorrow. I'll get out to ride then. The number of days when the high is below 40 are few so I don't feel compelled to ride then. At least on the road, I will take the mtb out in all kinds of weather.

tsl 12-02-08 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by BikeWNC (Post 7952838)
The problem is in the shady areas that are still icy.

That's why they invented studded tires.

Roody 12-02-08 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by BikeWNC (Post 7952838)
Well maybe. :) It is pretty nice here. The problem is in the shady areas that are still icy. Thing is I usually just need to wait a day and it will be better. It's supposed to be in the upper 50s tomorrow. I'll get out to ride then. The number of days when the high is below 40 are few so I don't feel compelled to ride then. At least on the road, I will take the mtb out in all kinds of weather.

Even a 30 minute ride on such an awesome day would be better than nothing. If it's a little icy, you could ride your MTB on the road.

I'm glad you get to live where it's so nice. It's nice where I live, but you have to look for it. The beauty doesn't hit you upside the head like it does there!

:)

bobbycorno 12-02-08 07:55 PM

"What to do when the weather is not good for riding?"

1) Suit up and ride anyway
2) If the roads are too slick, go skate skiing
3) Failing that, ride the trainer

Works for me.
SP

Allegheny Jet 12-02-08 09:05 PM

I just got back from a night time 29 mile group ride with 5 riding buddies. We went to a local brew pub after wards for a beer and pizza (a form of pie). Today's snow on the roads melted leaving dry and salty roads with 27 degree temps with 15 mph winds. It was cold but worth every minute.

Neil_B 12-02-08 09:11 PM

I hike.

At the base of Mount Misery in Valley Forge National Historic Park:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3291/...82da8323_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3059/...281ed5b0_b.jpg

Mill Grove, first home in America of John James Audubon:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3286/...e3e1df1a_b.jpg

TBAKEL 12-02-08 11:26 PM

I trials in bad weather

I bought an old school trials bike that has a seat and when there is snow on the roads I drive to downtown Harrisburg Pa and play on the south facing side of the government complex or the other state buildings.

The steps and walks are normally cleared by state workers so I may not do many horizontal miles but I do get in some vertical yards.

My wife hates when I do this because when I ride I tell her I will be out for a certain amount of time and I am normally back when I said I would be, trials is way different, normally I can spend 4 or more hours just working on two moves and then I am truly surprised to hear her voice sweetly commanding, "Dear your taking me to dinner and your paying, so go throw the bike in car!"

I have nephews who rock climb and they have turned me on to all these old stone buildings that they boulder on and I just go and play on the landscaping, the steps and what ever.

If God asked me today what I really would like to do, I would say man just make me 18 again so that I could learn to ride trials like this Kid:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/me...007/1554173723

Youth is so wasted on the young.

PaulH 12-03-08 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by bobbycorno (Post 7953305)
"What to do when the weather is not good for riding?"
SP

Jump on the bike and commute either to or from work. If the weather is not good for riding, it's even worse for driving.

Paul

Cone Wrench 12-03-08 10:17 AM

Ski

Jim from Boston 12-03-08 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by dguest (Post 7940639)
So I guess there are things that can be done when the weather is against us.

Originally Posted by Doohickie (Post 7944574)
The answer is simple and frankly I'm surprised no one has come up with this one yet:

HTFU [Harden the Flesh Up].

Realistically, though, I'm bouncing right on the edge of giving up for the season. Personally I take it day by day. If I can make myself ride that day, I do. If not, I don't beat myself up about it. I do have a bit of fear of the inertia that comes with inactivity though, so I try to make riding the default position in my mind and make myself justify not riding. I mentally put it in terms of trying to explain to someone else why I didn't ride, and when I have the conversation in my head, the other guy always derides me for not riding. In fact, the answer is usually the one I typed above: HTFU.

As a year round bike commuter I have a "default" reason to ride, but I have studiously avoided ridiing in wet precipitation, i.e. snow is OK. Last month I was off the bike for 8 days, five for illness and recovery and then three for rain. Inspired by some posts to BF, and needing the daily stimulus of a ride, I decided to start riding in the rain on my beater mountain bike, and it's not that bad (but I do have an otherwise pretty ideal commute anyways).

Doesn't HTFU mean harden the frick up? It doesn't seem like you'd have to be very hardened to ride a bike in the winter in TEXAS. :roflmao2:

BTW re HTFU: I once saw a video clip from the 1940's of the Andrews Sisters coyly singing a song with the refrain, "SNAFU...What is the meaning of SNAFU?" while surrounded by several smirking soldiers and sailors. For those who don't know, SNAFU was a WW II acronym, "Situation normal--all F***'ed up"
(? fouled. fricked, whatever).

stapfam 12-03-08 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=The Historian;7953734]I hike.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3059/...281ed5b0_b.jpg

Have to say this.

You are getting as good at not saying something as you are at writing.

Can remember a few of your early photo's- and you were desperately in need of losing a LOT of weight.

Now you just need to lose some weight.

Looks like your Hiking and Biking are having some effect. Well done.