Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

tend to go alittle over the top

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-08, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

HI,
I tend to try very hard to enjoy but adequately train, I have found a good deal on a nice used heart monitor,
I also found a web page called marathon guide, to help not over train.
Anyone in the over 50 track their progress by this method of checking heart rate during exercise. and resting.
The system I bought has a chest belt and the unit will fit on the handlbar to record the activity during exercise. I can check to see how I am doing if intersted.I am more insterested in average heart rate during exercise.
Doug
https://www.sportsinstruments.com/products.html
Old 12-09-08, 12:12 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Doug,

Most of my training and riding involves using a HRM. What are you interested in knowing about training with HR?
Old 12-09-08, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trying to find the best exercise zone

HI,
I realize you can over train and its very easy to find a comfort zone and stay there, so I am trying to push it without to much risk of over training. I figure the heart rate is a good indicator of comfort versus training.
Plus I am pushing that 60 marker in a couple years so I need to respect that aspect of my life.
I work out in a Gymn with many retires who never push their limits at all, more like brisk walking.
They never lift any weight that puts any strain on the muscles.
Ive always tried to push a little but I don't want to hurt myself either.
Doug
Old 12-09-08, 10:46 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Have never used a monitor . . . I listen to my body.
Have done OK so far as at age 76 am still pedaling 100+ miles a week.
Old 12-10-08, 12:14 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,834 Times in 2,229 Posts
I'm close to 60 as well and used a HRM many years ago. I think they are useful if you are striving to really increase your cycling performance through intense interval training (or if you have ever had any heart concerns). I also agree with Zonatandem that listening to your body is fine for normal riding. A good rule of thumb is to increase your mileage about 10% week to week as you build a base of miles.

At our age, recovery is almost as important as the exertion required to significantly raise your level of performance. I would think riding 5 days a week would be a max and you should probably not have strenuous rides more than 3 days per week.

I'm no expert in the gym, but higher reps (12 - 15) with lesser weight will tone muscles and give better endurance, but does not increase strength dramatically. If I were more disciplined I would emphasize core muscles, flexibility and balance.
Old 12-10-08, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I zone train which requires a heart rate monitor. My base miles are all in the zones 1 & 2. Then I do rides that push it in zones 3 & 4 with the once a week push into zone 5 ride. I mix them up and watch my recovery rate. If my resting pulse in the morning is too high, that tells me I've been doing too much in zones 3, 4, & 5. In this regard, my Garmin 305 (with heart rate monitor and cadence functions) has been a very useful tool for helping me understand where and when it is that I tend to over do it.